Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375827 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
Is anyone here reading "Wave on Wave"?I´ve seen it around but haven´t read it. Would be interesting to hear someone´s opionion on it

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »
Is anyone here reading "Wave on Wave"?I´ve seen it around but haven´t read it. Would be interesting to hear someone´s opionion on it

Heya!  I am reading it.  But, I haven't read the most recent update yet.  The writing is strong and I'm hooked enough to keep reading.  In the first 3 chapters at least, it's still in the phase of the story where things are being introduced and set up.  Jack and Ennis are just at the point of developing a rapport and friendship/ initial attraction with each other.  So, it's still early going in this story.  It's an interesting scenario.  I recommend giving it a try if you're looking for a new story to begin.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2009, 02:34:12 am »
Heya!  I am reading it.  But, I haven't read the most recent update yet.  The writing is strong and I'm hooked enough to keep reading.  In the first 3 chapters at least, it's still in the phase of the story where things are being introduced and set up.  Jack and Ennis are just at the point of developing a rapport and friendship/ initial attraction with each other.  So, it's still early going in this story.  It's an interesting scenario.  I recommend giving it a try if you're looking for a new story to begin.

That sounds pretty interesting. I think I´ll check it out´. Thanks :)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2009, 04:24:48 am »
That sounds pretty interesting. I think I´ll check it out´. Thanks :)

I'm reading it and was pretty much hooked from the first chapter.

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2009, 10:38:58 pm »

I just did a quick search and didn't get a hit for this story, so I don't know if it's come up before.  But, last night I started reading a story by tmn1966 called Come Tomorrow.  Currently it has 8 chapters and a one-shot.  The one-shot was the starting point for the story and then the longer story developed after that.  It's an AU that starts with Jack's lake-side statment "sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."  It's an interesting starting point, I think, because I feel like I've rarely seen a story where that's the launching point moment, or the turning point moment for a lot of change.

Even though there are only 8 chapters, each chapter is very long, and chapter 2 is a two-part chapter.  I've only read through chapter 5 so far, but I'm really thoroughly enjoying it.

It's nice to read a story that's fairly closely related to the original BBM again.

Here's the link to the one shot that was the start to the story, or is almost a prologue to the full story.

http://tmn1966.livejournal.com/14841.html#cutid1

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:26 pm »
I just did a quick search and didn't get a hit for this story, so I don't know if it's come up before.  But, last night I started reading a story by tmn1966 called Come Tomorrow.  Currently it has 8 chapters and a one-shot.  The one-shot was the starting point for the story and then the longer story developed after that.  It's an AU that starts with Jack's lake-side statment "sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."  It's an interesting starting point, I think, because I feel like I've rarely seen a story where that's the launching point moment, or the turning point moment for a lot of change.

Even though there are only 8 chapters, each chapter is very long, and chapter 2 is a two-part chapter.  I've only read through chapter 5 so far, but I'm really thoroughly enjoying it.

It's nice to read a story that's fairly closely related to the original BBM again.

Here's the link to the one shot that was the start to the story, or is almost a prologue to the full story.

http://tmn1966.livejournal.com/14841.html#cutid1

Thanks for the rec! I´ve not read that one

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:27 pm »
I'll add my thumbs up for "Wave on Wave."  I agree it's an interesting  - and unique - scenario.  The author has a great way with descriptions, too.  Lots of details that are fun to read. 

Thanks for this rec, Amanda.  I hadn't started this, but I'll try to this weekend.  You're right that AU/AU's have become predominant and it will be interesting to read a "canon/AU" again. 

I'd also like to give another rec for a story I mentioned a couple months ago - "A Month of Sundays." It's the one where Jack is a professional sign language interpreter (a profession he shares with the author) and Ennis is a pastry chef who owns his own business and teaches classes at a culinary center.  This story is funny and sharp and clever and the dialogue just sparkles. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:47 am »
I´ve started to read Come Tomorrow. It´s a bit too fluffy for my personal taste, but I´ll keep reading it. It´s always nice with fics that has Ennis and Jack living on their own ranch, trying to make a life together.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2009, 11:53:32 am »
I´ve started to read Come Tomorrow. It´s a bit too fluffy for my personal taste, but I´ll keep reading it. It´s always nice with fics that has Ennis and Jack living on their own ranch, trying to make a life together.

I like the ones that are pretty domestic and focus on the nuances of relationships.  Sometimes I like high drama too, but often I like these sort of sweeter stories too.

Yes, I think the ranching-up together/ figuring out how to live together and blend their families storyline  is pretty key to many AU stories.  And, yep, I tend to like them.  It's amazing how many variations of that kind of storyline folks have come up with.

There will be more angst and drama as the story progresses.  There are also some good newly created characters.  And... this isn't too much of a spoiler I don't think... there's an interesting, strong lesbian character introduced further into the story, which of course, I tend to like.

:)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2009, 08:31:07 am »
After reading the last post on the Best Friends Fover thread, I started to wonder about what fic in the fandom is longest. Any thoughts?

I think the longest fics I´ve read are Del Mar Painting, Best Friends Forever and Union Pacific