Author Topic: Body Art (Tattoos & Piercings.. Got them? Not got them? Love them? Hate them?)  (Read 90098 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
my thought was how the hwell she fits them all in!!!!

She must have impressively large genitalia.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
WOW! Eeew no! Five hundred?! No no..

I'm not into piercing really (don't have any anymore - got my ears pierced as a teenager because I was the last girl in class not to have them done - peer pressure. Never liked wearing earrings.. ). I have a tattoo though. It's on my left shoulder (or right?) - quite boring really. I had it done 10 years ago in July. I had never really thought about getting a tattoo until a friend from university showed me hers (on her hip) when it was freshly done (all a bit red at that point). That was 1992 or so. I forgot all about it, until I was in Tel Aviv in 1998. One street there was packed with tatoto shops. I went to a few of them and checked out the design samples. I was then suddenly determined to get a tattoo, but none of the ones in the sample books I liked. I knew it had to be small and monochrome (black). At taht time I was reading a book by an African author (Shafique Keshavjee - "The King, the Wise Man and the Jester") about a King who's nation is bored. He decides that his nation is in need of a Religion, but he can't figure out which one. He then invites one representative of each of the five biggest Religions and also an atheist. All of them are asked to talk to the King's nation to praise their Religion. I'm not telling you how it ends though..   :-X

The cover of my book showed the symbols of those 5 Religions and that's what I wanted as a tattoo. I made a drawing and went back to one of the tattoo shops. They gladly agreed to do my little design. They then even asked me if I minded them taking a picture of the work done (I didn't mind!). The guys in the shop and the shop itself were quite 'weird'-looking  :P, but the guy doing my tattoo was taking the most care about hygiene and all. He threw away two new needles before using the 3rd one because he said they weren't right (I don't know what was wrong - he unwrapped them in front of me, so they were clean - I think they weren't straight enough - no idea).

I was glad to be there with a friend, because I might have chickened out at the very last minute. I was also glad my friend was there, because it DID hurt!! It felt like when you cut yourself with paper, but much more! ..

I have no regrets of having it done. The only thing I would do differently is the place on my body. I'd have it done in a more unusual place, but not sure where.

Leslie, I can't help you about deciding where to have the tattoo, but I'd say do it, definitely!!

I'm actually thinking about having one more too, now. In memory of Heath. Have a little idea of what, but not sure where to have it done. .. Tricky.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

That's the tatoo I would/will get... Very small, in black and red. Not sure where though..

;)

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
I sent my design to the tattoo artist last week-I'm waiting to hear back on how well it will work on my chocolate yumminess skin. Originally it was going to be just the two hats but now it  has become the entire story of my Brokeback love affair. It will be way larger than I thought it would be be it will be on my back so who cares? Plan A is the mountain (from the postcard) with the full moon (lovers' moon) from the tent scene 1 rising above it. This will be in the back ground. Above it and in the foreground will be Heath's dragonfly (on my right shoulder). Caught on one of the wings and trailing behind it will be the two cowboy hats attached to a string-Heath's wrist tattoo. Somewhere else in all this mess will be a shooting star. It all has big symbolism-and love-for me so I hope it works out. I tried to get an April 4th appt but had to go on a waiting list.
Wish me luck...

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Good luck Rouxb!!

yb

j. U. d. E. - what about at ankle? 

RouxB - good luck with the design and the date of appointment, it will mean so much to do it on that day.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
i like some tattoos, but i can't get one.  i'm allergic to the PPD, which is a chemical that makes the pigment stay.  i can't dye my hair anymore either, or else i break out in a huge rash.  some people who have this allergy have died from tats in other countries, like mexico, where vendors just approach you on the beach and the vendors never know because by the time the victim dies, he's long gone.  it can take a while to have a reaction.
anyways, i have to use a semi-permanent henna to die my hair, and it has no metals, ammonia, ppd, or anything else that's harmfull.  if i got a tattoo, i'd probably keel over.  apparently the ppd is a sensidine chemical, meaning that if you're exposed to it over a long period of time, you will become allergic.
so, since i'm an artist, i always wanted a tattoo, but obviously not do-able.  if i could, i'd like one on the small of my back....which is actually nicknamed a "tramp-stamp' around here, 'cause, well, most.....women of questionable "nightime professions" have tats on the small of their back........but, i don't care....i'd still get one there if i could .

i am currently designing for a friend.  she likes some of my ideas, so i'm working on one for her. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
wow - Roux you'll have to show us a pic of the finished article - it sounds amazing - but intricate and therefore sore!!

I also like your new idea for a tat Jude.

Forsythia, interesting about the allergy and yes I've heard the phrase tramp stamp too!!

If I was getting another I'd get a monochrome one again and I think I'd get a musical note.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
So here's my update....

The most highly recommended tattoo place here in Portland is Sanctuary Tattoo. My daughter did a job shadow there last year and her friend Eryn's mom is *very* good friends with one of the artists, Jenn. I went online and looked at Jenn's portlfolio and then gave her a call and left a message. That was a few weeks ago.

Finally, tonight, she called me back. I kept meaning to call her and a combination of forgetfulness and "do I really want to go through with this" held me back.

Anyway, we started talking and I explained why I wanted to get a tattoo and Heath and etc. She said, "Oh my God, when Heath Ledger died, I cried for two days." I took this as a good sign of being on the same wavelength.

While we were talking, I emailed her the pictures of the leaf I want. We discussed placement and I ruled out on my hand (like Heath had) because I just think that might be too much for the first time out. Right now, I am pretty much decided on upper right shoulder blade. Jenn said we could size it up a little bit to be in proper proportion for the site, but she also said it is such a pretty and delicate tattoo, she didn't want to make it too big.

She had an opening next Tuesday at 5 pm (most of her appointments are booked out til June) so I am slotted for that. I realized after I got off the phone this is the same DAY (not the number date) that I left for my Euro-Brokies trip last year (and seeing the play in Holland). I flew out of JFK airport on Tuesday evening March 13th, so this is probably a good sign, don't you think? Same day? I pay attention to dates.

Now my dilemma, and this is where I welcome my BBM friends' input: how to do it. First is placement. Do I want the stem up or down, the leaf turned right or left? Then, color. Jenn had several suggestions: 1) exactly the same as it is; 2) more starkly monochromatic (black and white); 3) similar to what is already there, but adding more grey shading; 4) adding some color--maybe brown, for a leaf, or red, for Canada (and maple leaves--they turn red in the fall).

I have one week to ponder this. She did say that she can certainly offer good advice on size and positioning, but that color is much more personal. That is much more my decision--so.....

I welcome all of your comments and look forward to hearing from you!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
The second pic, stem up - like its falling from the tree is mya favourite.

I also wouldn't put any colour in it but thats just MO.

and yes - date nis definitely a good sign I'd say!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/