Author Topic: which scene made you cry ?  (Read 23302 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: which scene made you cry ?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »
I figure that when I start crying when the "Focus Features" logo comes on, maybe I'll pass through to the other side of the movie and will be able to accept it for being beautiful and not feel so obsessed and torn up about it.

I know. I'm the same way about trying to find a way to fix this feeling. I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:51 pm »
My wife...while she was pregnant mind you...cried from opening credits until the next morning I kid you not!  And when Brokeback lost the Oscar she again cried histerically for 2 or 3 hours.  Then when I brought home the DVD the morning of April 4th she again teared up at the first site of the DVD case.....poor girl! 

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »
I don't think I cried at all the first time I saw the movie.  I was too stunned.    But that sure changed with future viewings!  

The big tear jerkers are of course the big fight, the deceased postcard and call to Lureen,  finding the shirts and the ending.  

Tell you what,  truth is....now I get a lump in my throat when the Focus features logo and music comes on at the beginning!  

David  

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »
Tell you what,  truth is....now I get a lump in my throat when the Focus features logo and music comes on at the beginning!  

LOL.....as do I....

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 04:55:04 pm »
I cry when Jack's mom tells Ennis with tears on her eyes. -You come back to see us, huh-
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:47:47 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:25 pm »
I, too have the trend to start crying the earlier in the movie the more I see  it.
First viewing - no tears at all. Not in the cinema, not at home, not the next day. But three days later the tears came from one second to another when seeing a shirt hanging on a closet door. Second viewing frome the lake scene on till some time after the credits ended.
After a total of 5 viewings there are many scenes I cried in (not in every scene at every viewing):
Ennis in the alley, divorce scene, "Tell ya what...", confrontation at the lake, the flashback - omg, the flashback is a killer for me. Ennis in Jack's room, and the shirts (they hit me two times, in Jack's closet and in Ennis's closet).
Last time I saw it I felt a lump in my throat when Ennis and Jack rode down the mountain with the sheep.

Boy, that's odd. Especially because I ususally don't cry at movies - as long as not being pregnant. I think I could count the movies I cried on one hand.

My wife...while she was pregnant mind you
Jeez. I never could have watched BBM while being pregnant. When pregnant, I'm so flooded with hormones I tend to cry at sad songs on the radio.

I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.
Katherine, you took the words right out of my mouth. And not for the first time. I want it sooo badly for Ennis and Jack to end different.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 05:30:38 pm »
Becky had my list, I totally can't remember them all. But hopefully when I get my DVD (this week hopefully!!!) I'll be able to rewrite it.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 05:36:41 pm »
My wife...while she was pregnant mind you
Jeez. I never could have watched BBM while being pregnant. When pregnant, I'm so flooded with hormones I tend to cry at sad songs on the radio.

Me too, cute animals, puppies...kids, those kids singing the Oscar Meyer Bologna song use do me in every time! :D

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »
The whole argument/confrontation does it to me...building to a teary crescendo when the flashback occurs.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:34 pm »
**This thread rocks**  :D :'( :'(

I can hardly handle watching the flashback scene.  Thinking of it now makes me cry.  The part of the score on the soundtrack that I know goes with the flashback even makes me all emotional.  Ennis's last line "see you in the morning" is just so ominous.  In the context of their first summer it was sweet and breezy, but since it's positioned as the last bit of dialogue that we hear between Ennis and Jack it takes on such a different meaning.  Like a foreboding. Oh my god!  They'll never see each other again.  To me it sounds like Ennis saying "see you in the next life".  That scene kills me because it shows how much wonderful potential they had and shows without doubt exactly how happy they made each other.

For a long time I had to turn the DVD off right after the motel scene.  As soon as the cut to Alma sitting in the kitchen came I was done.  I'm much better about watching the whole thing again lately.  But, I often can't handle watching the post-divorce fiasco either.

I have to say... the amazing thing about BBM is that I love the way it makes me sad.  I want it to make me tear up!  It's the most wonderful bittersweetness I've ever experienced in a film. Period.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie