Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 4143060 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16470 on: April 11, 2020, 02:06:49 pm »
What is this box made of? It looks like plastic. I suggest considering getting something fireproof for important documents like your birth certificate, car title, insurance documents, and so forth.

I do want a fireproof one,  but I won't be getting that until  this pandemic is over and can go shopping.  Yes it is plastic,and it's temporary.  The main issue was that I didn't have everything centrally located, and in the event of an emergency, I didn't have a way to get to it all.  Now, everything is in this container, and when I'm home I keep my wallet near it.  If something were to happen, I would be able to grab it all in a matter of seconds, along with the wallet, and get out.

I have a metal one with birth certificates and a few other things. Car title is pretty easy to get a copy of -- you can walk into AAA (when there's not a pandemic), for instance, and walk out with one a few minutes later. Insurance documents I can also get pretty easily from the company's website.

I have ordered birth certificates, however, and they're more of a hassle. My passport is also expired, which is even more trouble to renew. I'm going to have to start collecting stuff like that in order to get my "real" ID by October, when it will be required to board a plane. Assuming anyone is flying by then and the airlines are still in business.

Chuck, do you get a discount on a safety deposit box? I've also used those for stuff like that.

I'm sure I could have a discount on a SDB, but I'd rather have them here where I can get to them quickly if needed.  My birth certificate is a pain get a copy of.  LOL  I don't recall the specifics, but apparently there were issues with birth certificates that were issued for a set time span.  I don't know if they were generated incorrectly, or files were destroyed, but I had to go to Trenton in person, and prove who I was in order to get certified copies of my birth certificate.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16471 on: April 11, 2020, 02:53:26 pm »
I'm sure I could have a discount on a SDB, but I'd rather have them here where I can get to them quickly if needed.  My birth certificate is a pain get a copy of.  LOL  I don't recall the specifics, but apparently there were issues with birth certificates that were issued for a set time span.  I don't know if they were generated incorrectly, or files were destroyed, but I had to go to Trenton in person, and prove who I was in order to get certified copies of my birth certificate.

I just found out what had happened with the birth certificate issue.

I was born in 1969 in Hudson country, NJ.

In 2005, there was a scandal when it was discovered that someone was issuing fake birth certificates to illegal immigrants out of that office.  Thousands of birth certificates were confiscated, and people were arrested.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't have affected me, however, it was the same year that Brokeback Mountain was released.  The gatherings were starting to happen, and I needed to get a passport.  For this, I had to get a copy of my birth certificate, and because of that issue earlier that year, I had to go to Trenton and prove who I was so I could get certified copies of the document.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brian

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16472 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:31 pm »
When I first applied for a passport in 1973 you only needed a simple version birth certificate with date and place of birth and parents names. I went to Asia and Europe in 1974 then back to Europe in 1976/77. I had been to NZ 3 times but in those days you did not need a passport to travel between Australia and NZ. I renewed my passport in 1978 and went back to Europe and to the USA in 1980.
I let my passport lapse as I did not travel again until 1997 when I wanted to go to conferences in San Francisco and Vancouver. Now I needed a full birth certificate with many more details and, when I collected it, I was surprised to discover I was the 3rd child. I rang my sister and said "I know about you but who is this other person?"  She told me we had a an elder sister 'Susan' born in 1930 who only lived 4 days. Apparently it was all hushed up, it may have been less than 9 months after my parents were married, she may have been premature.
I never spoke to my mother about her. She was buried in a grave that was also used for my grandfather many years later. There was no headstone but after Mum died we used some of the inheritance to install a headstone with both their names and some details on it.
Now I have two passports - Australia and New Zealand. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16473 on: April 12, 2020, 11:24:25 am »
This cake has Chocolate Fudge cake, Red Velvet cake, Carrot cake, and Caramel cake.

That is so cool! I've never seen that concept here -- hope it catches on soon.

I only get cakes maybe a couple of times a year for birthdays. But if I were going to get one, that is exactly what I'd get.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16474 on: April 16, 2020, 10:28:01 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I've been super busy lately.  As you know,  there was an act passed called 'CARES' for small businesses to apply for loans to make their payrolls.

Many banks were going to set up an online application process, for owners of small businesses to go to, and apply for the loans.

We were doing the applications manually, and it meant a lot of overtime for employees who were able to process these loans.  I was one of those employees.

I was on a training session for 4 hours on Easter Sunday.  Then I ended up working until 10:00 or 11:00 on Monday - Wednesday.  We succeeded on getting a good number of these applications processed.

Tonight others are being trained, and I took tonight off as a regular hours night.

Phew!

I'm not complaining, I'm just tired.  There are people who aren't getting paid at all, or working with the public daily.  I'm able to isolate in my apartment, and work from home my usual shift and get overtime.  I'm very fortunate right now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16475 on: April 17, 2020, 09:59:53 am »
Speaking of which, do you happen to know anything about those $1,200 checks? One of my sons got his. My other son and I have not received ours, last I checked. Should we worry, or will they be gradually coming out over the next few days (for those of us who filed taxes electronically)?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16476 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:13 am »
They've been delayed because Cheeto45 wants his name on the memo line.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16477 on: April 17, 2020, 11:43:06 am »
Speaking of which, do you happen to know anything about those $1,200 checks? One of my sons got his. My other son and I have not received ours, last I checked. Should we worry, or will they be gradually coming out over the next few days (for those of us who filed taxes electronically)?

You don't have direct deposit?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16478 on: April 17, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »
You don't have direct deposit?

Oh, no, I do. Good point, I guess they're not technically "checks" if they're directly deposited. I meant the $ hadn't hit my account yet, last time I looked.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16479 on: April 17, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »
Oh, no, I do. Good point, I guess they're not technically "checks" if they're directly deposited. I meant the $ hadn't hit my account yet, last time I looked.

I guess news reports call then "checks" regardless of whether you get a paper check or a direct deposit. I haven't checked my account, either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.