Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8738650 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16400 on: February 20, 2020, 01:51:01 am »

I don't think they're any real way to keep them out of the soffit, other than to spray regularly, which is an expense, so the property management company isn't going to do that.
Why not? My sister is the chairman of a 50+ block of units (condominiums).  She was telling me the other day about waiting in for the pest control company that I think visits every 6 months. Most of the units are tenanted and they do not realise all the work that my 85 year old sister does to keep the units in top condition. It is paid for by the contributions of the owners who of course take it out of the rents. The renters just go blissfully on. Quite a common occurrence is for a renter to contact my sister to say that water is coming through the ceiling. She has to go upstairs and deal with the renters above, many speak very little English, and ask why they do not regularly check their hot water system or report leaks, then she has to call plumbers and deal with insurance claims.  I know it is getting her down but she worries what will happen to the block and her investment if no-one does her unpaid tasks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16401 on: February 20, 2020, 10:20:26 am »
I don't think they're any real way to keep them out of the soffit, other than to spray regularly, which is an expense, so the property management company isn't going to do that.

There is something really not right about that. Even my condo association covers the cost of an exterminator to visit our building regularly to prevent problems from starting.

Do other tenants have this problem? If they do, everyone who has the problem should complain, and keep complaining until the management company does something about it.

It seems shortsighted to me that the management company doesn't take care of this. Suppose they get a tenant who is allergic to bee stings, and that tenant gets stung? The company could have a whale of a lawsuit on its hands.

Years ago, I got a new stove in a rental apartment when I pointed out to the management company that an old stove, where you had to light the oven with a match, was a fire hazard.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16402 on: February 22, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Today is going to be a slow Saturday, no big plans.  Tomorrow is the usual chore of laundry, and I'll be seeing my parents for lunch tomorrow.

This week was a good week, I got my bonus on Friday.  Since it's not a pay week, it was basically like getting an extra paycheck.  I put most of it in my savings, but did put some aside for some fun spending.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #16403 on: February 22, 2020, 01:35:12 pm »
Why not? My sister is the chairman of a 50+ block of units (condominiums).  She was telling me the other day about waiting in for the pest control company that I think visits every 6 months. Most of the units are tenanted and they do not realise all the work that my 85 year old sister does to keep the units in top condition. It is paid for by the contributions of the owners who of course take it out of the rents. The renters just go blissfully on. Quite a common occurrence is for a renter to contact my sister to say that water is coming through the ceiling. She has to go upstairs and deal with the renters above, many speak very little English, and ask why they do not regularly check their hot water system or report leaks, then she has to call plumbers and deal with insurance claims.  I know it is getting her down but she worries what will happen to the block and her investment if no-one does her unpaid tasks.

Actually, the property management company has regular maintenance done, and we do have an exterminator who comes onsite, I've seen his van here from time to time.  I have no pest activity in my place (ants, roaches).  Occasionally I'll find a small spider or centipede, and if I can, I catch the spiders and put them outside.

However, in spring, it's time for wasp & hornet queens to start new nests.  The front of my building has a small patch of property with some smaller trees on it, and behind the building is a massive cemetery, so there is a lot of area where the insects could come from.  We have a super who lives in one of the buildings in this complex, and he is very responsive when we call.

There is something really not right about that. Even my condo association covers the cost of an exterminator to visit our building regularly to prevent problems from starting.

Do other tenants have this problem? If they do, everyone who has the problem should complain, and keep complaining until the management company does something about it.

It seems shortsighted to me that the management company doesn't take care of this. Suppose they get a tenant who is allergic to bee stings, and that tenant gets stung? The company could have a whale of a lawsuit on its hands.

Years ago, I got a new stove in a rental apartment when I pointed out to the management company that an old stove, where you had to light the oven with a match, was a fire hazard.

As I said above, the property management does have an exterminator who comes in and we have no problems regarding pests like ants or roaches.

My first spring/summer here, I talked to other tenants in my building, and none of them have had issues with stinging insects getting into their places.  I'm the only lucky one.

As for treating the buildings, I watch a YouTube channel regularly called "Hornet King".  He's an exterminator (and, as an added bonus, eye-candy) and he regularly films the removals of nests he does from people's property/homes.

In January of this year, he posted a video giving people advice on how to avoid having nests made on and in their homes.  The very first place he went was to the roof, and pointed out how wasps/hornets get in through the soffits.  He also said that there are companies who advertise that they treat these places to prevent the pests from coming in.  His advice, don't waste your money on this.  Apparently it's not effective and he said that basically your best course of action is to watch for activity and then spray when you see it.

My plan is to go out to the area where I saw the activity last year, and spray early in the spring, in the hopes that it will prevent them from coming back to that space.

If that fails, I plan on using the phone to film the activity, and take it to property management and have it fixed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16404 on: February 22, 2020, 03:56:19 pm »
Can't you have them seal the holes where the wasps get into your cupboard?

Then you don't have to care about what's going on in the attic.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #16405 on: February 26, 2020, 09:16:22 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Hump Day!

For those who celebrate, it's Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of the Lenten season.  People will be doing a 'sacrifice' of some sort, such as giving up candy/sweets or beer or such.

For the past few years, I have instead sacrificed financially to help others.  I've used a set amount of money each day to buy food to donate to churches or food kitchens.

I've decided this year that would do this again, but this time buy pet food and supplies, and donate them to the local animal shelter by my apartment.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16406 on: February 27, 2020, 11:06:33 am »
Nice ideas!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #16407 on: March 07, 2020, 07:30:26 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Hope that everyone is having a great weekend!

My original plans for the day were to get some shopping done.  However, I started to clean the apartment, and wanted to keep that rhythm going, so I spent the day here giving the apartment a good cleaning.  I've dusted, vacuumed, scrubbed and mopped.  It's looking good and smelling fresh.

;D

Tomorrow is just the usual day of laundry and a visit to the family's place.

According to the news today, NJ has 4 cases of Corona Virus.  I'm sure this will go up, given our proximity to NYC, and the amount of NJ residents who commute to NYC for work.   At my job they've been taking some precautions.  All business travel (international and domestic) has been cancelled.  All off-site meetings of 25 or more have been cancelled.   Also, building maintenance for the office building we're in have stocked the restrooms with anti-bacterial pumps, and free-standing stations have been set up outside the elevators on each floor.

I've taken three days off work this month, the 18th, 19th and 20th.  Those three days are when the World Figure Skating Championships are being aired.   I decided I want to see them live, and since I've missed a bunch of the competitions this season due to commitments, and I have an excess of time off, I opted to take those three days off work.

;D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #16408 on: March 13, 2020, 10:38:12 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

So, we got word today that starting on Monday, all employees who have laptops are to work from home.

This week they started doing "stress tests" of the system,  to make sure the system would work with a large number of employees working from home.   I was part of that test on Thursday, and everything was fine.  My supervisor then told  me to just work from home today (Friday).  While working today, an official email notice was sent about working from home.

I had wanted to go back to the office today, and get my full-sized keyboard, mouse and extra monitors so I could work from home more effectively.   However, a second email went out saying that we are not allowed to take the extra equipment home.  We are supposed to work on our laptops only.

I spoke with mom and dad today, they are doing fine.  Went shopping early today and in spite of the crowds at the stores and other people "panic-shopping", they were able to get everything they needed.

I placed an order for pick up tomorrow, as I do my shopping every two weeks, so we'll see what is in stock and what is not.  LOL   I do have some food in the freezer, so I'm not worried, I will be fine.

Other than this whole mess, it's pretty much life as usual here.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16409 on: March 14, 2020, 12:43:53 am »
I'm glad to hear your parents are okay. I hope they stay out of the stores for a while. It seems likely that germs could spread there.
"chewing gum and duct tape"