Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8741764 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16450 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:31 pm »
When I first applied for a passport in 1973 you only needed a simple version birth certificate with date and place of birth and parents names. I went to Asia and Europe in 1974 then back to Europe in 1976/77. I had been to NZ 3 times but in those days you did not need a passport to travel between Australia and NZ. I renewed my passport in 1978 and went back to Europe and to the USA in 1980.
I let my passport lapse as I did not travel again until 1997 when I wanted to go to conferences in San Francisco and Vancouver. Now I needed a full birth certificate with many more details and, when I collected it, I was surprised to discover I was the 3rd child. I rang my sister and said "I know about you but who is this other person?"  She told me we had a an elder sister 'Susan' born in 1930 who only lived 4 days. Apparently it was all hushed up, it may have been less than 9 months after my parents were married, she may have been premature.
I never spoke to my mother about her. She was buried in a grave that was also used for my grandfather many years later. There was no headstone but after Mum died we used some of the inheritance to install a headstone with both their names and some details on it.
Now I have two passports - Australia and New Zealand. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16451 on: April 12, 2020, 11:24:25 am »
This cake has Chocolate Fudge cake, Red Velvet cake, Carrot cake, and Caramel cake.

That is so cool! I've never seen that concept here -- hope it catches on soon.

I only get cakes maybe a couple of times a year for birthdays. But if I were going to get one, that is exactly what I'd get.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16452 on: April 16, 2020, 10:28:01 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I've been super busy lately.  As you know,  there was an act passed called 'CARES' for small businesses to apply for loans to make their payrolls.

Many banks were going to set up an online application process, for owners of small businesses to go to, and apply for the loans.

We were doing the applications manually, and it meant a lot of overtime for employees who were able to process these loans.  I was one of those employees.

I was on a training session for 4 hours on Easter Sunday.  Then I ended up working until 10:00 or 11:00 on Monday - Wednesday.  We succeeded on getting a good number of these applications processed.

Tonight others are being trained, and I took tonight off as a regular hours night.

Phew!

I'm not complaining, I'm just tired.  There are people who aren't getting paid at all, or working with the public daily.  I'm able to isolate in my apartment, and work from home my usual shift and get overtime.  I'm very fortunate right now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16453 on: April 17, 2020, 09:59:53 am »
Speaking of which, do you happen to know anything about those $1,200 checks? One of my sons got his. My other son and I have not received ours, last I checked. Should we worry, or will they be gradually coming out over the next few days (for those of us who filed taxes electronically)?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16454 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:13 am »
They've been delayed because Cheeto45 wants his name on the memo line.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16455 on: April 17, 2020, 11:43:06 am »
Speaking of which, do you happen to know anything about those $1,200 checks? One of my sons got his. My other son and I have not received ours, last I checked. Should we worry, or will they be gradually coming out over the next few days (for those of us who filed taxes electronically)?

You don't have direct deposit?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16456 on: April 17, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »
You don't have direct deposit?

Oh, no, I do. Good point, I guess they're not technically "checks" if they're directly deposited. I meant the $ hadn't hit my account yet, last time I looked.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16457 on: April 17, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »
Oh, no, I do. Good point, I guess they're not technically "checks" if they're directly deposited. I meant the $ hadn't hit my account yet, last time I looked.

I guess news reports call then "checks" regardless of whether you get a paper check or a direct deposit. I haven't checked my account, either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16458 on: April 17, 2020, 04:37:26 pm »
Actually people would look at you here if you said 'cheque". Both Australia and NZ were going to get rid of them a year or so ago but there were complaints from some places, mainly the very old. One of the NZ banks stopped taking cheques a few months ago. I write about 2 or 3 a year to the U3A course I belong for $10 each course. I mentioned about Trump name on cheque to my sister (85 yo) yesterday and she said 'cheque?'.  Our governments would not pay anyone by cheque anymore. I was not sure if my bank was open during lockdown as my 2 trips to the supermarket have not taken me past the banks. I just received an email from one bank I use for term deposits but not regular expenditure telling me that they are open on Wednesday afternoons only but they want us to use internet or phone, which I do anyway. I only go to the ATM, never enter the bank, but have not used any cash since lockdown began 23 days ago.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16459 on: April 18, 2020, 10:36:50 am »
We just say check for old time's sake. I write 2-3 actual paper checks a year to regular people who do work on my house and things like that, for example my handyman. And we say we get a paycheck even if it's deposited directly.

I go into the bank now and then to deposit a paper check I might receive as a gift or something. I have a paper check in my purse that's been there for months -- a refund from something or other -- and haven't gotten around to depositing.

But most of what I pay or receive is done electronically.