Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8741797 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16460 on: April 18, 2020, 02:53:38 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

How is everyone doing?  Another week is just about done, and we'll be moving on to the start of a new one in isolation.

I think, personality-wise, that I'm split down the middle between introvert and extrovert.  Make no mistake, I definitely enjoy getting together and meeting with friends.  However, I am perfectly fine in my apartment, and relaxing and keeping to myself.

After a busy week with 15 hours overtime, I opted to skip optional overtime this weekend.  I'm relaxing for now, because I know it will be busy this week as well.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16461 on: April 18, 2020, 03:08:03 pm »
Speaking of which, do you happen to know anything about those $1,200 checks? One of my sons got his. My other son and I have not received ours, last I checked. Should we worry, or will they be gradually coming out over the next few days (for those of us who filed taxes electronically)?

They seem to be doing it rather haphazardly.  My parents got their stimulus funds, I have not.  I don't think my brother Chris has yet either.

They've been delayed because Cheeto45 wants his name on the memo line.

Isn't that the stupidest thing you've ever heard?  I hope people deface the checks and then deposit them.

You don't have direct deposit?

Oh, no, I do. Good point, I guess they're not technically "checks" if they're directly deposited. I meant the $ hadn't hit my account yet, last time I looked.

I guess news reports call then "checks" regardless of whether you get a paper check or a direct deposit. I haven't checked my account, either.

When  I checked my account this morning, there was nothing there yet.  I believe there is a website you can check to see where your funds are.   Yeah, everyone seems to call them 'checks' but I would be getting a direct deposit too.

Actually people would look at you here if you said 'cheque". Both Australia and NZ were going to get rid of them a year or so ago but there were complaints from some places, mainly the very old. One of the NZ banks stopped taking cheques a few months ago. I write about 2 or 3 a year to the U3A course I belong for $10 each course. I mentioned about Trump name on cheque to my sister (85 yo) yesterday and she said 'cheque?'.  Our governments would not pay anyone by cheque anymore. I was not sure if my bank was open during lockdown as my 2 trips to the supermarket have not taken me past the banks. I just received an email from one bank I use for term deposits but not regular expenditure telling me that they are open on Wednesday afternoons only but they want us to use internet or phone, which I do anyway. I only go to the ATM, never enter the bank, but have not used any cash since lockdown began 23 days ago.

Here in the US checks are still pretty common,  but their use has definitely declined.  I still write a few out on a regular basis.  The rent and car loan are paid monthly.  The life insurance is paid quarterly, and  the car insurance and renter's insurance is paid annually.

As for the banks being open, here in the US the banks are considered 'essential' so they are open, but the branches seem to be on a new, restricted schedule, less hours of availability.

We just say check for old time's sake. I write 2-3 actual paper checks a year to regular people who do work on my house and things like that, for example my handyman. And we say we get a paycheck even if it's deposited directly.

I go into the bank now and then to deposit a paper check I might receive as a gift or something. I have a paper check in my purse that's been there for months -- a refund from something or other -- and haven't gotten around to depositing.

But most of what I pay or receive is done electronically.

Most of my monthly payments are done electronically too.  The utilities, phone, and cable are all done online.  I'm not sure my property management company has that capability, so I have to send them a check.  Then, when I needed new checks, I found a design I liked, and then ordered too many.

:laugh:

I decided if I have them, I may as well use them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16462 on: April 18, 2020, 04:55:54 pm »
A few years ago the bank made a mistake and sent me 2 cheque books (25 each) so that will last my lifetime.  ;D
The trouble with sending a cheque is a stamp costs over $1. The minimum time for a letter to arrive is 3 days. All our mail, even to the next suburb is sent to Christchurch 300km north for sorting then back again. We have 3 deliveries per week. There was a big stink a month ago because it was discovered that 2 of the mail boxes in the city centre had not been cleared for 2 months. I was affected in 2 ways. I did not get my subscription tickets from the Dunedin Symphony, they rang and offered to send them again but I picked them up at their office. Of course they are now cancelled. They are asking NZ Post for compensation as they had to reprint all the tickets.
Then a friend in Australia told me her birthday card arrived 2 months late and I remembered I especially took her address with me, bought the card, wrote on it in the coffee shop and posted from one of those boxes.
My birthday card from my sister in Australia arrived 2 days late although she posted it 2 weeks before. I think NZ Post would like to restrict their services to parcels only.
My brother-in-law's birthday was on April 11. He had to be content with an online card this year. I might have been able to get a card in the supermarket but not much choice, card shops and post offices are closed. My sister's birthday is May 14, not sure what will happen by then. We do not buy presents in our family.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16463 on: April 18, 2020, 09:36:54 pm »
As for the banks being open, here in the US the banks are considered 'essential' so they are open, but the branches seem to be on a new, restricted schedule, less hours of availability.

This I don't get. The main Wells Fargo branch is closed, but other branches are open, though on restricted schedules. I'm beginning to get a little concerned if I'm going to be able to cash from an ATM this week.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16464 on: April 18, 2020, 10:06:03 pm »
The banks are an essential service but I just looked up my bank and found
'During the Level 4 lockdown, we are endeavouring to open some branches from 10am to 1pm on Wednesdays to meet the essential transactional banking needs of customers who are unable to use alternative options.

We will be controlling access to these branches to ensure appropriate social distancing.

Essential services include:
Adding PINs to cards
Online banking registration
Cash deposits & withdrawals
Elderly and vulnerable customer support"

ATMs will be serviced as normal. I have not spent any cash since the lockdown started, mainly only do so at the Farmers Market and in cafes which are all closed. Actually I know a number of people, even my age, who no longer use cash at all. The only places open are supermarkets, pharmacies, service stations and medical centres and I use my card at all of those. I am not using the buses at the moment but they are free to everyone, not just superannuants like me, now.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16465 on: April 22, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well today.

:)

Happy Hump Day!   Friday for me is pay day, and I'll see how much bigger the check is with overtime.   I've yet to receive my stimulus payment, but I'm not in a position where I need it.  Thankfully, my parents got theirs, so I'm happy for that.

Friday I will have to venture out for groceries after the work day is over, and I may go to Omaha Steaks on Sunday to pick up some other items.

It's finally starting to feel warmer today, it was only in the upper 40s today, and the average for this area for this time of year is 61.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16466 on: April 22, 2020, 04:33:51 pm »
This I don't get. The main Wells Fargo branch is closed, but other branches are open, though on restricted schedules. I'm beginning to get a little concerned if I'm going to be able to cash from an ATM this week.

The main branch was open today. Hours are restricted, and if you want to see a banker you need an appointment, but I was able to enter and use an indoor ATM.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16467 on: April 23, 2020, 11:51:48 am »
The main branch was open today. Hours are restricted, and if you want to see a banker you need an appointment, but I was able to enter and use an indoor ATM.

Pressed the buttons with your elbows and/or gloves, i hope!  :-\

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16468 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:07 pm »
Pressed the buttons with your elbows and/or gloves, i hope!  :-\

No, but when I got home I washed my hands with hand soap and hot water while I sang "Happy Birthday" twice.  ;D  Then I used hand sanitizer.

I thought about it, though.

I'm getting pretty good at pushing elevator buttons with my elbow.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16469 on: April 25, 2020, 04:24:33 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is doing well today.

:)

Each year I do a "Lenten sacrifice" even though I really don't practice the Catholic religion anymore.  However, instead of giving something up, I do something extra that helps others in need.  This year I decided that I would be doing extra grocery shopping for Lent, and making donations to the local animal shelter.

Each payday I would buy stuff for pets (food, toys, litter) and put it aside, and then I would give the shelter everything the day after Easter.

I held off on that until today, because I was going shopping last night.  Since Lent started, the pandemic hit, and there was panic shopping, so I was certain that the shelter would not only need stuff for the animals, but for the volunteers working there.   I'm glad I held off, because last night I was able to snag extra toilet paper, paper towels and trash bags for the shelter.

I was just able to drop them off.