Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734343 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17510 on: April 16, 2022, 09:44:38 am »
Went to a Passover Dinner last night. The funnest part was when the Grandpa hid a piece of matzo in a cloth and the children looked for it. The finder got a $20 bill.

Another part was like a drinking game. We drank red wine four times...or were supposed to but when it got to be 8 pm, everybody disappeared. I stayed to help clean up and hold the baby. It was a good time and the lamb was delicious.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17511 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:09 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

it's definitely Spring.

How do I know?   I had my first guest in the apartment.    >:(

The ironic thing is, I planned on using today to spray the space where the A/C unit is, and seal up the seams of the doors with packaging tape.

This bugger beat me to that.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17512 on: April 16, 2022, 03:59:53 pm »
Went to a Passover Dinner last night. The funnest part was when the Grandpa hid a piece of matzo in a cloth and the children looked for it. The finder got a $20 bill.

Another part was like a drinking game. We drank red wine four times...or were supposed to but when it got to be 8 pm, everybody disappeared. I stayed to help clean up and hold the baby. It was a good time and the lamb was delicious.

Regarding the hidden matzo:

Afikoman (Hebrew: אֲפִיקוֹמָן[1] based on Greek epikomon [ἐπὶ κῶμον] or epikomion [ἐπικώμιον], meaning "that which comes after" or "dessert"), a word originally having the connotation of "refreshments eaten after the meal", is now almost strictly associated with the half-piece of matzo which is broken in two during the early stages of the Passover Seder and set aside to be eaten as a dessert after the meal.

Based on the Mishnah in Pesahim 119b, the afikoman is a substitute for the Passover sacrifice, which was the last thing eaten at the Passover meal during the eras of the First and Second Temples and during the period of the Tabernacle. The Talmud states that it is forbidden to have any other food after the afikoman, so that the taste of the matzo that was eaten after the meal remains in the participants' mouths.
 Since the destruction of the Temple and the discontinuation of the Korban Pesach, Jews eat a piece of matzo now known as afikomen to finish the Passover Seder meal.

Customs around the afikoman vary, though they often share the common purpose of keeping children awake and alert during the Seder until the afikoman is eaten. Following Ashkenazi customs, the head of household may hide the afikoman for the children to find, or alternatively, the children may steal the afikoman and ransom it back. Chabad tradition discourages stealing the afikoman lest it lead to bad habits. Following Mizrahi customs, the afikoman may be tied in a sling to a child's back for the duration of the Seder.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17513 on: April 16, 2022, 04:43:04 pm »

it's definitely Spring.

How do I know?   I had my first guest in the apartment.    >:(

The ironic thing is, I planned on using today to spray the space where the A/C unit is, and seal up the seams of the doors with packaging tape.

This bugger beat me to that.

Poor little thing  :(

It died from shock when entering your bathroom  :'( :'(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17514 on: April 16, 2022, 04:58:07 pm »
Poor little thing  :(

It died from shock when entering your bathroom  :'( :'(

it died with I smacked it with a book.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17515 on: April 17, 2022, 09:56:07 pm »
Hiya Jeff.   I must admit, I have no idea what songs Bobby Rydell is famous for.  The most I know about him is that Rydell High from Grease was named after him.   According to Wikipedia, he had 19 Top 40 hits, 6 of them getting to the Top 10.

Bobby Rydell, Fabian, and Frankie Avalon all came out of Italian South Philadelphia at about the same time.

Earlier, the opera star Mario Lanza was also a product of South Philadelphia.

Actually, Philadelphia has given a lot of music to the world. Marian Anderson and Patti Labelle were/are  Philadelphians. Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald, who were paired in old movie musicals, also hailed from Philly.

These are only the few I can think of off the top of my head right now. We have our own "walk of fame" for musicians with a Philadelphia connection in the form of bronze plaques implanted in the sidewalk on both sides of one block of South Broad Street near the Academy of Music.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17516 on: April 17, 2022, 10:03:44 pm »
Now I'm hungry for matsos!

I once had matzoh ball soup. Later that afternoon I had a horrible case of indigestion.

I also once had gefilte fish. I enjoyed that.

I'm guessing they don't cook the lamb as prescribed in Exodus: Roasted with it's head and internal organs.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17517 on: April 18, 2022, 04:09:29 pm »
Bobby Rydell, Fabian, and Frankie Avalon all came out of Italian South Philadelphia at about the same time.

Recently I read that Fabian had become problematic in some way. Anyone know why?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17518 on: April 22, 2022, 11:59:04 am »

I hope you're all doing well!

It's been a busy week for me.  My coworker has been on vacation this week, so I have been covering my usual customers and duties, as well as hers. 

I'm glad it's almost over, she'll be back to work on Tuesday.

Got an invite from a friend to an event tonight.   My coworker (Maria) has tickets to see Stars On Ice with her friend and her friend's husband.  Well, last minute issue came up, and the husband can't make it, so they called me to see if I would like to join them, gratis.

Thankfully I was free, and able to accept.

From the mid 90s through the early 00s I was going each year with a group of friends to the Champions On Ice tour.  That tour had a mix of amateur skaters (Olympic eligible) and professional skaters.  That show ran as the same time as Stars On Ice, but Stars tended to be strictly professional skaters.

Sometimes skaters would start as Olympic eligible (like Nancy Kerrigan) and then stay with the show after they turned professional.

Champions on Ice is not around anymore, as I understand, but Stars On Ice is still going strong.  It's been maybe 15 years or so since I've seen a show like this, I'm looking forward to it.

;D

what's everyone else doing?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17519 on: April 22, 2022, 01:05:24 pm »
Saturday night I'll probably just go out and get drunk.  ;D

And Sunday morning I'm a reader in church!