Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2635523 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yôkai hantâ: Hiruko (1991)
« Reply #4330 on: July 08, 2008, 08:41:10 pm »
Also known as:  Hiruko the Goblin

From IMDb:

A crazed, gory, wonderfully absurd and furiously kinetic piece of Asian supernatural horror hokum; it's a feverishly inventive, turbo-charged, hard-driving trash terror item that's deliriously overloaded with demented imagination, wild-eyed passion, devilishly frolicsome wit and rip-roaring flair to spare. In short, it's a real pip.

A brutal, lethal, nearly unstoppable all-powerful otherworldly force wreaks plentiful grisly havoc in a remote rural school, decapitating students and transforming their severed noggins into swift, deadly creatures which are jet-propelled by speedy, ultra-sinewy spider legs. Two teenage guys bravely attempt to thwart the wildly out of this world supernatural mayhem, with the expected madly disastrous full-throttle four-sheets-to-the-wind insane nerve-jangling and life-threatening results.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"Z" is Zéro de conduite: Jeunes diables au collège (1933)
« Reply #4331 on: July 08, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »

From the Harvard Film Archive:  Banned by state censors until 1946 for its purportedly malicious attack on the French educational system, Zero for Conduct is certainly one of the masterpieces of the French cinema. Drawn from Jean Vigo’s own childhood experiences, the film is situated at a dreadful boarding school in a Paris suburb where petty restrictions imposed on the students cause four schoolboys to organize a revolt. With its blend of poetry and realism, its psychological depth, and its profound sense of anarchy, Zero for Conduct has exerted an influence on many directors, from François Truffaut and Lindsay Anderson to Philippe Garrel and Leos Carax. One of only four films made during Vigo’s brief career (he died at age 29), Zero for Conduct remains one of the great subversive works of the cinema, an eloquent parable of freedom versus authority.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Kevin Bacon Round!
« Reply #4332 on: July 08, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »
In honor of Kevin Bacon's 50th birthday, let's do an Nth Degree of Kevin Bacon Round!

Post any unplayed film and state how it's related to Kevin Bacon

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"A" is The Air I Breathe (2007)
« Reply #4333 on: July 08, 2008, 11:13:44 pm »
Kevin Bacon plays Love in this film.

Plot: A drama based on an ancient Chinese proverb that breaks life down into four emotional cornerstones: happiness, pleasure, sorrow and love. A businessman bets his life on a horse race; a gangster sees the future; a pop star (Gellar) falls prey to a crime boss; a doctor must save the love of his life.

Offline Fran

"B" is Beauty Shop (2005)
« Reply #4334 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:34 pm »
Kevin Bacon played Jorge in this film.

From IMDb:  Props to Kevin Bacon. His outrageous and flamboyant Jorge is a nice departure from his other roles, and he comes across as quite convincing in the part.

=comment=
Yikes!  I'm older than Kevin Bacon...  :(

=aside= Paul
Great theme, Paul.  Hopefully, our
"n" can be six or less.

And maybe we can repeat the theme
on other stars' birthdays.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:23:01 am by Fran »

Offline Ellemeno

"C" is Cast Away (2000)
« Reply #4335 on: July 09, 2008, 02:20:15 am »
How could we have not played Cast Away yet?

Kevin Bacon is currently filming My One and Only (2009) with Chris Noth, who had a small part in Cast Away (2000), the movie where Tom Hanks's best friend was a volleyball named Wilson.

Wilson the volleyball

A little sumpn I found while looking for Wilson the volleyball

Offline oilgun

"D" is Digging to China (1998)
« Reply #4336 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:54 am »
Kevin Bacon plays Ricky.

Plot: 10-year-old Harriet dreams of leaving her home, where she doesn't feel she's needed by her mother and sister Gwen. When her mother dies in a car accident, she really starts to make plans for leaving and she finally does so together with her childlike (mentally ill) friend Ricky.

==ASIDE==
Last night I watched RAILS & TIES starring Kevin Bacon!

Offline Fran

"E" is End of the Line (1987)
« Reply #4337 on: July 09, 2008, 08:50:39 am »
Kevin Bacon played Everett, a "guy with more testosterone than brains."

From IMDb: 

A friend at work loaned me this movie because he knows I'm nuts about trains. The plot synopsis, of driving a locomotive from Arkansas to Chicago, seemed too silly and unrealistic, to the point where I wasn't sure I would enjoy the movie. You know, like Karen Black flying a 747.

Fortunately there was a good explanation for how they managed to get the locomotive to Chicago, so I could relax and enjoy some really nice character studies and a fairly decent yarn. The life of folks who live in double-wides was told with a great deal of sympathy and understanding, without being pandering or condescending. Wilford Brimley as the life-long railroad man was particularly well done, as were Barbara Barrie as his wife and Kevin Bacon as a guy with more testosterone than brains.

But any movie that features both Clint Howard and Rita Jenrette is probably not Oscar material, and neither is a movie with a plot hole in the third act big enough to drive a locomotive through. Still, I'm glad I saw the movie. It doesn't bother me at all that I'll never get the time back that I spent watching it.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:02:29 pm by Fran »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"F" is Footloose (1984)
« Reply #4338 on: July 09, 2008, 09:02:12 am »
Kevin Bacon played Ren McCormack in this film about a town banning music and dancing!

Trivia:  Christopher Atkins, Tom Cruise and Rob Lowe were all considered for the role.

Offline oilgun

"G" is Game (2008)
« Reply #4339 on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:36 am »
Kyra Sedgwick is in GAME and was also in THE WOODSMAN with her husband, Kevin Bacon!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:44:03 am by oilgun »