Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2611121 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
"C" is Cobb (1994)
« Reply #4650 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:42 am »
Tommy Lee Jones plays Ty Cobb, the American baseball player.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"D" is Double Jeopardy (1999)
« Reply #4651 on: August 06, 2008, 08:27:51 am »
TLJ played Travis Lehman in this film.

IMDB Plot: When Nick Parsons appears to be murdered his wife Libby is tried and convicted. Six years later Libby is paroled and with the help of Travis Lehman (her parole officer) she sets out to find her son and the truth behind the "murder".

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"E" is Eliza's Horoscope (1975)
« Reply #4652 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:40 am »
TLJ starred as Tommy Lee in this film.

IMDb:  Story (?) of a young ladies' interest in the zodiac, which may be beneficial or detrimental to her romantic pursuits, is initially intriguing and occasionally visually interesting. Unforunately, it digresses rapidly into senseless imagery and artistic pretention. Admittedly, I have not seen another film quite like it, and I recommend this exclusively to fans of outre' cinema. Others will surely find rough sailing here.

(hubba hubba)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"F" is Flynn (1996)
« Reply #4653 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:09 am »
Guy Pearce was in FLYNN and also in THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT with Tommy Lee Jones!

Plot: A biographical movie on the film star's early life before Hollywood fame.

==ASIDE==PAUL
TLJ starred as Tommy Lee in this film.

IMDb:  Story (?) of a young ladies' interest in the zodiac, which may be beneficial or detrimental to her romantic pursuits, is initially intriguing and occasionally visually interesting. Unforunately, it digresses rapidly into senseless imagery and artistic pretention. Admittedly, I have not seen another film quite like it, and I recommend this exclusively to fans of outre' cinema. Others will surely find rough sailing here.

(hubba hubba)

Paul, you do come up with some interesting titles. "Senseless imagery and artistic pretention"!  Sounds like it's right up my alley, lol! It's strange that the photo says 1970 and the film is 1975.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The "N" Degrees of Tommy Lee Jones Round!
« Reply #4654 on: August 06, 2008, 09:43:59 am »
Thanks, Gil.  You certainly are a "fan of outrĂ© cinema"!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"G" is The Grand (2007)
« Reply #4655 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:31 am »
"The Grand" featured Woody Harrelson, who appeared with Tommy Lee Jones in "A Prairie Home Companion."

From IMDb:  An improvisational comedy using a handful of actors playing characters competing in an actual poker tournament.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is The Hunted (2003)
« Reply #4656 on: August 06, 2008, 04:06:50 pm »
TLJ played the role of L.T. Bonham in this film.

IMDB: Although it would be easy to write The Hunted off as a simple chase film (I can see the pitch now: "It's First Blood married to Predator with a dose of The Fugitive", and in reality that is a pretty fair description) but it's straight forward manner lends a constant sense of urgency. Throughout this gory (yeah it's pretty graphic) cat and mouse thriller we are also given some real insight into Del Toro's character. Unwilling to make sweeping judgments about nearly any of the characters (Connie Nielsen's FBI agent is a bit stubborn and single minded and occasionally very careless in discharging her firearm in public, Tommy Lee Jones'survivalist trainer has a guilty conscious of his own and even Del Toro's transformation is understandable), the finale is exciting but emotionally complicated, even tragic. The camera work and editing are very effective and affective while not overwhelming the finished product with the typical Hollywood style over substance dilemma. Combined with some very strong performances by the leads THE HUNTED makes for a very intense and satisfying thriller experience.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"I" is In the Electric Mist (2008)
« Reply #4657 on: August 06, 2008, 04:24:56 pm »
TLJ plays Dave Robicheaux in this film in post-production.

Plot:  A detective in the deep South is led into a series of surreal encounters with a troop of Confederate soldiers.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"J" is The Job (2003)
« Reply #4658 on: August 06, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
THE JOB starred Brad Renfro  (:'( ) who was in THE CLIENT  with Tommy Lee Jones!

From IMDb:  "The film presents us CJ March, an assassin for hire, who bungles the job she was sent to do and is drawn into a web of circumstances where she herself mirrors the same situation of one of the persons she is to liquidate. We understand by way of flashbacks that CJ, herself, has had an unhappy upbringing. She is a cold woman who has no problem killing until she gets herself in the same situation where she would never have dreamed of being.

Daryl Hannah is CJ's is splendid. She is an underrated actress, but in here she shows a range that is not immediately associated with her work before. Brad Renfro and Dominique Swain are good as the couple CJ is pursuing; they elude her most of the time, until the final show down. Alex Rocco as the CJ's employer strikes the right note as the man without scruples who manipulates people into committing crimes for him. Also effective is Eric Mabius who is too good for CJ, and eventually, her salvation.

As a moody film of suspense it proves satisfying as it keeps the viewer interested in every turn of the action."

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"K" is Krippendorf's Tribe (1998)
« Reply #4659 on: August 06, 2008, 08:46:06 pm »
Richard Dreyfus appeared in this film along with Lily Tomlin who costarred in Prarie Home Companion with TLJ.

IMDB: A university professor is paid to find the last undiscovered tribe of New Guinea. When he fails to find the tribe, he comes home, and rather than admitting that he's failed, he gives a lecture about the Shelmikedmu tribe (named after his children: Shelly, Mike, and Edmund) and then has his family dress like "Shelmikedmus," so that he can film them as proof of his discovery.

=aside=
TLJ and Al Gore were roommates at Harvard.