Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 26768 times)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 04:00:36 pm »
30 years from now....

It will be interesting to see what Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger will say about the film as the years pass.

I must admit that I'm NOT against a remake (or two or three or four) down the centuries... This story ranks among the finest and most important ever written.  If Romeo and Juliet get endlessly pawed over, why not Brokeback Mountain?  A new generation of actors.  Different nuances emphasized from the book.  And why not a great stage play that school drama departments can mount... endlessly bringing the story to life?

"As long as we can ride it..." 

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2007, 04:13:15 pm »
30 years from now....

It will be interesting to see what Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger will say about the film as the years pass.

I must admit that I'm NOT against a remake (or two or three or four) down the centuries... This story ranks among the finest and most important ever written.  If Romeo and Juliet get endlessly pawed over, why not Brokeback Mountain?  A new generation of actors.  Different nuances emphasized from the book.  And why not a great stage play that school drama departments can mount... endlessly bringing the story to life?

What a great perspective! I never thought of it like that!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2007, 06:29:45 pm »
Thanks Oregondoggie, and thanks loneleeb3!!

Surely this effort of making a somewhat male romeo and juliette, will continue, and BETTER ones can be made, as you say!!

WE, gay men, need better films than even the BM one!!

30 years from now... and NOW too!! Any ideas?

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2007, 05:57:51 pm »
I don't care (at least not at the moment) to speculate on how this great film will be remembered or valued thirty years hence, but here is an article I just found online, in which the author, Gary Tooze of DVDBeaver, argues that Brokeback Mountain is one of the relatively few contemporary films likely to be cherished as works of art for the foreseeable future:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/articles/sifting.htm

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2007, 06:21:44 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

He does detail the BM movie, to chart it as great and for a future!!

In the Mood for Love?? Is that same love between two men?

Hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007, 06:31:02 pm »
In the Mood for Love?? Is that same love between two men?
No, that's a love story between a man and a woman.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2007, 06:55:48 pm »
Oh! Thanks moremojo!

Any match to the BM movie?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2007, 11:28:20 pm »
30 years from now....

That would be awesome.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2007, 12:06:01 am »
That would be awesome.

I agree, that it could be awesome.

There are already multiple versions of the story if you count both text versions (the New Yorker and Close Range versions), the film and the play in Europe... and now I guess this opera in NYC is in the works...  So, it seems like this phenomenon is already happening a bit.  I like the idea of the story being re-told and re-interpreted by different actors, etc. over the years.  I think anything that would keep the Brokeback story in circulation would probably be a positive thing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 09:59:05 am »
Hi to all!!

I wonder why so many, if not all of you, were so adamant on saying, to me, that you do not want any other BM movies, etc.; and, now, that you do??

Be assured that I am glad that some of you now want and accept some BM versions! Other versions, even a remake, till 30 years from now, can surely be helpful!! ?? You want one soon?

Hugs!