Author Topic: Christmas Customs  (Read 18408 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Christmas Customs
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:27:29 pm »

Jeff you are a nut...

Well, just because they don't speak doesn't mean they can't speak. It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:24:58 pm »
Well, yes I have actually, but that has nothing to do with the animals! There's an old legend that says animals can speak on Christmas morning, at midnight. They are given the power of speech for one hour. I try to talk to my animals every year, and so far they haven't ever spoke back to me. But I keep trying it again every Christmas!  :D
May pets talk back, but they are Parrotts. I get them stuffed toys fer Christmas and they chew them apart.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 07:08:42 pm »
Maybe they just don't have anything to say.  ;D

You made me laugh out loud there!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:02 pm »
You made me laugh out loud there!!!

I'm glad, Kelda!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 08:43:05 pm »
Gah.  I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do celebrate Yule and Saturnalia, but am dragged by family custom/tradition to family gettogethers on Xmas day.  So unsurprisingly I eat too much and spend too much and send out holiday cards, but other than that, I don't do much.  I have an apartment so I do decorate the inside of my place, but it's not Xmas-y.  The tradition is much older.  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 11:33:13 pm »

Well, I'm not a religious person at all.  But, I love Christmas and I've been raised with Christmas traditions as a major part of my life all my life... but primarily social traditions (my parents aren't religious either).

But, I love things like having big get-togethers with family and friends... I love all the food and the pretty decorations.  I love giving presents more than I like receiving presents.  While Christmas shopping can be stressful... I actually really love doing that too.  I'm an only child so lots of my traditions are really specific to what my parents and I have come up with.  One of our particular favorite traditions... is on Christmas Eve we (just the 3 of us) go out to a really nice restaurant.  We try to find a historic inn or a really old restaurant (or something like that) with lots of seasonal character.  Also, because my immediate family is small, we've developed lots of customs involving good, good friends of the family... which I love.  I love that our traditions very firmly extend to friends as well as family.

This is a really nice poll David. :)  :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 01:05:09 am »
:laugh:

Fun thread, David! I do most of the things except the deeply religious ones and Christmas cards (I gave those up a few years ago). What's smudge the creche with sage about?

That is a tradition on my Mother's side of the family that goes back for generations. The Native American side of my family traditionally smudges the manger or creche on Christmas Eve night just before going to bed. Smudging with sage is a type of blessing. So, we are blessing the manger for Christmas.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 01:45:02 am »
That is a tradition on my Mother's side of the family that goes back for generations. The Native American side of my family traditionally smudges the manger or creche on Christmas Eve night just before going to bed. Smudging with sage is a type of blessing. So, we are blessing the manger for Christmas.  :D

Interesting blend of cultures and traditions, David!

:)

I'd be interested in hearing of other unusual holiday traditions. When I was in first or second grade, I remember being really enchanted when a classmate's mother came in to tell the kids about Christmas in Norway. This woman was an actual Norwegian immigrant, but since this was Minnesota, Christmas in Norway (or Sweden or Finland) was probably just a couple of generations back for half the class.  :laugh: I thought it was very cool, though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 02:04:52 am »
Interesting blend of cultures and traditions, David!

:)

I'd be interested in hearing of other unusual holiday traditions. When I was in first or second grade, I remember being really enchanted when a classmate's mother came in to tell the kids about Christmas in Norway. This woman was an actual Norwegian immigrant, but since this was Minnesota, Christmas in Norway (or Sweden or Finland) was probably just a couple of generations back for half the class.  :laugh: I thought it was very cool, though.

Well, as you know we have members from all over the world here. Maybe some of them will post their country's Christmas customs in this thread. Chrissi already told us about one of her customs in Germany which I found very interesting! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 02:19:01 am »
When I was growing up we always had the advent wreath on the dining room table and an advent calendar on the refrigerator door.  You open a little window on the calendar every day and reveal another piece of the bigger picture until you get to Christmas Eve.  We always had sleigh rides, and we would paint apple rings with peanut butter and roll them in birdseed and then string them with orange slices, cranberries and stale cake donuts and then hang them in the trees for the birds.  Much to my Dad's dismay my Mom always put out pans of chopped apples, carrots and celery for the deer too. 

I still have an advent wreath and calendar.  I still bake cinnamon cookies using my Grandmothers molds on December 6 for the feast of St Nicholas.  We put our tree up around the 15, nothing fancy just tons of ornaments that have lots of special meaning for us.  We put a Victorian snow covered village underneath complete with trees, operating skating rink, carousel and train.  No presents until Santa comes on Christmas Eve.  We also begin putting our nativity together on the 15.... I put it on top of the entertainment center and surround it with potted palms and other green growing plants. Then I put the painting away that normally hangs there and hang three angels.   Then we add the statues a few at a time starting with the animals and ending with the baby Jesus on Christmas Eve. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal