Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4589839 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1870 on: December 20, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
His major is nursing. The C was in Anatomy and Physiology, where apparently an A is unheard of, a few geniuses get a B, and everyone else gets Cs and Fs. This is the class that separates the men from the boys, as it were.

L

Sounds real good, then! Nice that he wants to go into the family profession.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1871 on: December 20, 2006, 01:34:48 pm »
David - thought you might find this interesting!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby is sent through X-ray machine at LAX

By Jennifer Oldham
Times Staff Writer

December 20, 2006

A woman going through security at Los Angeles International Airport put her month-old grandson into a plastic bin intended for carry-on items and slid it into an X-ray machine.

The early Saturday accident — bizarre but not unprecedented — caught airport workers by surprise, even though the security line was not busy at the time, officials said.

A screener watching the machine's monitor immediately noticed the outline of a baby and pulled the bin backward on the conveyor belt.

The infant was taken to Centinela Hospital, where doctors determined that he had not received a dangerous dose of radiation.  Officials, who declined to release the 56-year-old woman's name, said she spoke Spanish and apparently did not understand English.

The rare incident drew attention to whether officials are staffing often-busy security checkpoints enough to prevent such an accident. And it raised questions about the danger of X-rays used to pick out suspicious metal shapes in passenger bags, given the medical community's warnings that even low amounts of radiation can build up over a lifetime.

"Rather than focus on the radiation dose, which is a small amount, we need to focus on why this happened, so it doesn't happen again," said Dr. James Borgstede, a diagnostic radiologist at Penrose-St. Francis Health Systems in Colorado Springs, Colo., and president of the American College of Radiology. "Human beings weren't meant to go through those things."

In the several seconds the baby spent in the machine, the doctor added, he was exposed to as much radiation as he would naturally get from cosmic rays — or high energy from outer space — in a day.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:23:11 pm by YaadPyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1872 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:19 pm »
Yup.  It has happened before.  Not at my airport, but elsewhere.    Why would a parent do that?   

More common are pets getting x-rayed.   People put the pet carriers down and turn to get their carry-on bags and before they know it, the carrier is moving down the belt into the x-ray machine!

As the story above noted, the Radiation hazzard is small.  You get more radiation each time your Dentist takes X-rays of your teeth.   

In the baggage drop area we have these huge X-ray machines.   A former TSA employee rode thru it once to get a full body x-ray.    He was terminated before the day was over!     A one time trip thru wont hurt you, but they are worried about multiple trips thru.   Thats why they don't allow it.   I can't imagine it is any more harmful than a  CT Scan you get in the Hospital.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #1873 on: December 21, 2006, 03:21:39 am »
I don't think it's supposed to be 38 degrees in Santa Barbara CA!

I want a rebate on my rent.

O0

Heathen

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1874 on: December 21, 2006, 04:59:25 am »
David - thought you might find this interesting!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby is sent through X-ray machine at LAX

nice to see you frequenting Tremblay C! and OMG - that is madness.. whay the hell did she think she had to do that!?

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David

The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1875 on: December 21, 2006, 07:23:18 am »
Thursday AM Top Ten List!

injest  7067
Lucise  5707

MaineWriter  3669
Garry_LH  3605
Front-Ranger  3561
louisev  3063

DavidinHartford  2928
Ellemeno  2771
Pipedream  2467
Fran  2313

Offline David

« Reply #1876 on: December 21, 2006, 07:25:55 am »
I don't think it's supposed to be 38 degrees in Santa Barbara CA!

I want a rebate on my rent.

O0

"Quit yer hammering and get the tent RouxB!"    LOL   :laugh:

....only 100 more posts to go RouxB!     ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1877 on: December 21, 2006, 07:33:22 am »
Morning all,

I heard there was snow in San Diego the other day! And a monster storm in Denver that has shut everything down. Meanwhile, here in Maine it is 36 degrees and no precipitation. Go figure. White Christmas for us? I think not.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1878 on: December 21, 2006, 08:35:00 am »
Don't look like a White Christmas here in Toronto either. As a matter of a fact, I'm leaving for Timmins (650 km north a here) in a coupl'a  days & Ah here it ain't gonna be no white christmas there either (would be a first fer Timmins, Ah think)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1879 on: December 21, 2006, 08:38:28 am »
Morning all,

I heard there was snow in San Diego the other day! And a monster storm in Denver that has shut everything down. Meanwhile, here in Maine it is 36 degrees and no precipitation. Go figure. White Christmas for us? I think not.

L

meanwhile Britain is dreaming of a foggy Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:15:33 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/