Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4588578 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3790 on: May 21, 2007, 11:25:48 am »
In my case it is because most TSA officers I have encountered aren't nice. Just because your job is to check our belongings doesn't mean you can't give a smile! Some people think that in order to convey seriousness they need to be rude or mean. I think that's wrong. It is possible to be nice and serious at the same time. Same thing happens with the people who work at customs. They're even worse. They're so serious sometimes that they spook travellers. I have to say however, in my last trip to New York, the custom's officer who checked my passport was actually very nice. I can't say the same for the TSA officers stationed at the gate where I took my next plane  :-\

Tell you what, I can imagine it's very easy to lose your disposition when you have to deal with hordes of travelers, many of whom are themselves short-tempered because they've been waiting in a long line, or just plain stupidly didn't allow themselves enough time before their flight, or didn't bother to check to see what they can or cannot carry with them.

Still, there shouldn't be an excuse for out-and-out rudeness.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3791 on: May 21, 2007, 11:53:02 am »
Tell you what, I can imagine it's very easy to lose your disposition when you have to deal with hordes of travelers, many of whom are themselves short-tempered because they've been waiting in a long line, or just plain stupidly didn't allow themselves enough time before their flight, or didn't bother to check to see what they can or cannot carry with them.

Still, there shouldn't be an excuse for out-and-out rudeness.

I know why they're usually in a bad mood, but still. I'm not sure if they're aware that some travellers are confused about what they can or cannot bring with them into the plane. Regulations are constantly changing. In my case I have been given different versions of the new regulations when I travel. Some airport employees aren't even sure about them.  Also, some airlines close their flights 20 minutes before departing, others do so 40 minutes before, so it gets confusing and you don't know how early you should be at the airport. But oh well, such is life.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3792 on: May 21, 2007, 12:04:06 pm »
I know why they're usually in a bad mood, but still. I'm not sure if they're aware that some travellers are confused about what they can or cannot bring with them into the plane. Regulations are constantly changing. In my case I have been given different versions of the new regulations when I travel. Some airport employees aren't even sure about them.  Also, some airlines close their flights 20 minutes before departing, others do so 40 minutes before, so it gets confusing and you don't know how early you should be at the airport. But oh well, such is life.

It's a mess all around, trying everyone's patience and temper. That's why I'm "scheduling" myself to be at the airport two hours before my flight to Denver for the barbecue. And I'm going to try to "check in" on line Thursday afternoon.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3793 on: May 21, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
What on earth is the "puffer machine"? Makes me think of Marilyn Monroe in The Seven-Year Itch.  ;D

And do tell us about the Service Monkeys. C'mon, you know you want to. ...  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3794 on: May 21, 2007, 01:51:36 pm »
What on earth is the "puffer machine"? Makes me think of Marilyn Monroe in The Seven-Year Itch.  ;D

And do tell us about the Service Monkeys. C'mon, you know you want to. ...  ;D

I was in a puffer in San Juan last year.  It's rather strange:  you go into this thing, put your feet on the "footprints" on the floor, and the machine blows puffs of air at you from head to toe.  Then, it takes a giant inhalation, presumably to "smell" any explosives on you. 

How's that, David?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3795 on: May 21, 2007, 02:03:58 pm »
I was in a puffer in San Juan last year.  It's rather strange:  you go into this thing, put your feet on the "footprints" on the floor, and the machine blows puffs of air at you from head to toe.  Then, it takes a giant inhalation, presumably to "smell" any explosives on you. 

How's that, David?

:o  :o

So, is this an American only thing? Or do they have these in Canada too? I need to prepare my kids before we get on that plane i think...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3796 on: May 21, 2007, 02:07:18 pm »

That sounds ... kinky. ...  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3797 on: May 21, 2007, 03:13:09 pm »
When our plane landed in Malaysia sixteen years ago, everyone had to walk through a narrow cordoned-off-on-either-side aisle about twenty feet long, with giant fans blowing at us on one side, and caged German shepherds on the other.  It was intimidating.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3798 on: May 21, 2007, 03:39:05 pm »

How's that, David?

In San Juan, Puerto Rico? Which terminal? I haven't seen such puffer.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3799 on: May 21, 2007, 03:46:22 pm »
When our plane landed in Malaysia sixteen years ago, everyone had to walk through a narrow cordoned-off-on-either-side aisle about twenty feet long, with giant fans blowing at us on one side, and caged German shepherds on the other.  It was intimidating.

Jeez!

Okay, we will be using the airport in Toronto, Victoria and Calgary this summer. Does anyone know the routine there? Puffer machine, barking dogs...??
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'