Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 377425 times)

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:27 am »
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on this Forum, but while at work I was perusing Getty Images I came across two photos of Heaths Memorial service Programmes. Here are the links:
http://cache3.gettyimages.com/xc/79676110.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935121260197D6DE78AD48055E76218476A55A1E4F32AD3138

http://cache3.gettyimages.com/xc/79676111.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935121260197D6DE78C2A646A7934AC90BA55A1E4F32AD3138
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2008, 12:56:09 am »

'Going out with his boots on.'  An odd but strangely uplifting tribute to Heath's filmography and the best role we have not yet seen.

http://www.thecud.com.au/html/story_langlois_100208.htm
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2008, 01:20:17 am »

And seeing Marit Allen made me jump, even though I had read here that she died this year.

I agree, I love that the BAFTAs aren't UScentric, and show people from more places.

Thank you, Elle, for YOUR mention. Thank you.  :-*

I had not known Ms. Allen had died so tragically this November 2007 ("--in November--"), and in Sydney, Australia. With an aneurysm. (....)

When I saw the BAFTA clip today, it--well, yes, it made me jump, too. A little bit the way Brokeback's first film editor, Geraldine Peroni (remember her?) died in August 2004.

I feel--beholdin'--to people who worked so hard and so well on our movie. So.

To say 'Thank You,' Marit Allen, Brokeback's superb Costume Designer, from the bottom of my heart, for your uncanny choices in picking (with Ang, I'm sure)

Jack's blue and Ennis's tan:
:'(
(gosh--remember Cornelius's amazing essays??)

and for Lureen's red cowboy hat:
  ;)

Thank you, Marit. We owe you--you'll never know.

xxxx
John

(I hope Marit wins the posthumous Oscar for La Vie en Rose. She deserves more than that.)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: BAFTA in memoriam
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:51 am »
That made me cry, too.  It was a lovely sequence, and I actually forgot Heath would be in it til he came riding toward us, blonde hair flying, in that scene from "A Knight's Tale."  It just breaks my heart all over again.  :'(

It was the same for me. I was focused on the people and names they showed, and suddenly there came Heath, the riding scene from A Knight's Tale. Tears were spilling faster than I could choke them down.  :'( It's so wrong to see Heath in the memorial section.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: BAFTA in memoriam
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2008, 11:00:31 am »
It was the same for me. I was focused on the people and names they showed, and suddenly there came Heath, the riding scene from A Knight's Tale. Tears were spilling faster than I could choke them down.  :'( It's so wrong to see Heath in the memorial section.

I totally agree Chrissi! It's so wrong! I can't get over it. You see on many pages where they have added the day/year of his death (even Phil had it here on BM in big letters at first - I almost wrote to him asking him to remove it..). He can be found on 'findagrave' (or whatever it's called) now (apparently .. I didn't check). 'Tis not alright!  :'(

I think it did sink in now, but it's only been 3 weeks and he's still 'there' somehow. But in a few months tuime, years it will be very real, because he'll never grow older, there will never be any new pictures of him. ..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2008, 12:23:49 pm »

The bonfire doesn't already warm
all the deep wrinkles in my soul.
My path is a hollow full with stones
that leads me to a Brokeback
whose landscape seems so uncouth.
Its bright sky draws a storm...
...since he's gone.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2008, 01:29:32 pm »

The bonfire doesn't already warm
all the deep wrinkles in my soul.
My path is a hollow full with stones
that leads me to a Brokeback
whose landscape seems so uncouth.
Its bright sky draws a storm...
...since he's gone.

That's so beautiful, myprivatejack.  Would you consider posting this in the new Brokeback Cult thread?  There are a few other lovely Heath tributes there.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3655.0.html
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »
That's so beautiful, myprivatejack.  Would you consider posting this in the new Brokeback Cult thread?  There are a few other lovely Heath tributes there.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3655.0.html

Thank you so much,Meryl.I don't know if it's beautiful literally speaking.But at least,it's written with the heart.That's for sure. :'(
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

mvansand76

« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2008, 08:05:16 am »
Don't know if this was posted already, but thought it was really special...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/heath-ledger/cowboy-will-carry-on-legacy/2008/01/23/1201024994404.html

The tragic news from New York was too hard to bear for Ledger's cowboy mate, writes Neil McMahon in Los Angeles.
IN MANY ways he was Heath Ledger's worst nightmare: a nobody, allowed into the inner circle, who then told the world his story and became a somebody. Ledger hated the spotlight, especially when it was uninvited, and Adam Sutton worried about that, lost too much sleep about what his mate would think. Then, when he asked for the actor's blessing, he got a graceful nod. Go ahead, said Ledger to the real gay cowboy. "I'm proud of you, Bushy."

Sutton, 33, was proud, too. Proud of how he'd told his tale, first in the Herald, then on TV, then in a book, and proud that an actor renowned for his aversion to publicity had looked at what he was trying to do and told him it was all OK. Yesterday, though, he was simply shattered. He was in Los Angeles when word came through. Ledger was dead. A burst of text messages. "So sorry to hear about Heath. Hope you're OK."

He was standing in Olivia Newton-John's Malibu garden, a quick visit for a publicity shot for a charity event he is doing in April. Next door lives Mel Gibson, Ledger's co-star in The Patriot; Sutton had met Gibson on Sunday at a Hollywood cricket game, given him a copy of his memoir, Say It Out Loud, the book the Central Coast horseman had used to describe a life reflected in the script of Ledger's most acclaimed film, Brokeback Mountain.

Heath would be at home here, Sutton thought, stars to the left and right, but it was foreign to him. Truth be told, it probably wouldn't have been much more of a comfortable setting for Ledger, the star who resisted the sparkle at all costs. "He didn't want to be a blockbuster person. He was an actor, not a celebrity," Sutton said last night.

Sutton and Ledger had met on Ned Kelly; where the wrangler from Cooranbong gave the burgeoning star riding lessons. There was a mild tempest that first day, when film-set novice Sutton ordered his celebrity charges to don helmets. They refused, and an actors' walk-off was barely averted. The pair nevertheless became mates. A year later, Ledger was handed a script and brought it back to Sydney on his summer break. As they got ready to go out on New Year's Eve, he said casually to his mate: "I've just read this script and it sounds a lot like you."

It was Brokeback Mountain. Ledger used the film to tell the world just how well he could act; Sutton used the film's profile as a platform to tell his own story.

Hollywood was a new thing. He'd been here only three days, a last-minute visit as part of G'day USA Week to help Newton-John promote her cancer centre appeal. Ledger was his Hollywood connection, but that was about them being mates, not celebrities. Yet here yesterday was the cowboy, a fish out of water, at home with the one household name in the zip code who would surely understand. Newton-John knows something about handling grief, publicly and privately. No one else knew what to say, but she didn't hesitate, stepping forward to hug Sutton, who had held it in until then. "I'm so, so sorry," she told him, a spontaneous embrace defeating country stoicism.

Newton-John's home is built for peace and calm, in parts quite purposefully for lifting the spirits of a woman who has endured everything from breast cancer to the unexplained loss three years ago of her partner, Patrick McDermott. The rear is dominated by a labyrinth, a meditation maze for wandering and reflection. She suggested Sutton take a walk there and find the centre. There he found stones, under each one a word. Friendship. Harmony. Love. Understanding. Acceptance.

It helped. "It was as close as I could imagine to being with my mother," said Sutton later, who had only met Newton-John once before. Now he was speaking as a bewildered and tearful young man cast in the difficult role of a public figure whose flare was sparked by the flint of another man's fame, that man now deceased.

The world was on the phone. Entertainment Tonight; Access Hollywood, morning television in Australia, radio stations everywhere, journalists wanting to know about this: the real Heath.

Sutton wasn't sure he or anyone beyond family was qualified to speak on that, and knew he wasn't ready on the scale now demanded. A flood of tears came first; a stiff drink was proffered and accepted. As Sutton went wandering, Newton-John reflected on her own experience. "He doesn't have to say anything if he doesn't want to," she said firmly, aware of the relentless pressure to simply react. "It's nobody's business."

She also knows something of young talent burning too brightly, too young. There was Karen Carpenter, a friend whose death tore her. Then Andy Gibb, another young Australian who conquered Hollywood and was gone at 30. Gibb had found himself with few places to turn, taking his troubles to Newton-John, his friend and sometime duet partner. "He used to call me in the middle of the night," Newton-John said of the youngest Gibb brother, destroyed by drugs in 1988.

He found himself in the wisest hands, and is grateful, yet Sutton doesn't know what to think. The story from New York remains murky, and having refused to tread on Ledger's private life in his book, it is territory he will not venture into now. "All I can say about him is that he was an inspiration to me. He gave me the strength to find myself and tell my story, and that's something that I know helped a lot of other people. All I want to do now is carry it on as his legacy."

Herald journalist Neil McMahon is the co-author of Adam Sutton's memoir Say It Out Loud: Journey Of A Real Cowboy.

That pic in the article is supposed to be Heath on the right, but I doubt that! I could be wrong, though...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:23:30 am by Ellemeno »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2008, 08:48:07 am »
Thanks for posting that, Mel. I hadn't seen it before.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!