Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 377358 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2009, 09:14:49 pm »
Yes Fiona, I remember that incident.

Actually, what happened was someone from the press or connected with the media, squirted him with a water pistol, while he was walking the red carpet, and filmed his reaction.

Of course the intial reaction when Heath saw the gun, was a terrifying look, and then of course anger. The prank was the most lowest act of anything I had seen, and my disgust and anger at the perpetrators was shared by most Australians. The embarrassment and anger felt by Heath, was, the straw that broke the camels back, and was the point of no return for Heath to feel comfortable living back here in his homeland.

I thought of that time, when Heath died, and with anger again, I thought of how things might have been different had Heath been able to feel comfortable living here, near his family and support, and I cursed and cursed those bastards once again for what they did to such a beautiful human being.

It was one of the rare times in my life, that I was embarrassed to be an Australian.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:31 pm »
You know what Sue, it is not anything to do with being an Australian, it is a certain genre of paparazzi, they are lower than low and have contributed to so many tragic events. They seem to have the attitude that it is they who have "made" the star and therefore have the right to own them publically. They say jump, the reply is how high.
If you are having a bad day and just think, Oh piss off, that simply is not allowed, you have to be God like in your behaviour and worship at the shrine of the photo opp.
I fully agree with you.Had Heath had a second base in his home country, maybe he would have been able to escape there for some R&R and if necessary some healing.
What really makes my blood boil is that Heath was one of the few who never deliberately courted publicity, quite the reverse. I was apoplectic when he passed and the Aussie press were all over the place saying how tragic it was, as indeed it was, but also what a great guy he was, again true. They were only too happy to claim him as an Aussie then. I wonder if some of them suffered even the tiniest twinge of guilt that they and only they were instrumental in driving him out of Australia.
He managed to live a pretty low key life in NYC , what a pity he did not have the same opportunity in Australia, particularly as he was so obviously a real surfing fan.
Oh dear, now I am all maudlin again. :'( I wonder when it stops hurting ?
So never be embarrassed to be an Aussie, there are rotten to the core Paparazzi in every country. They are the problem, not the ordinary citizens. It is one reason I feel really guilty, looking at photos which have obviously been taken on the sly. I feel I am then somehow complicit in the events, if that makes sense.
There is an almost insatiable appetite these days to know the very minutiae of those we idolise. I am just as guilty as the next and then how  shocked are we ,when the poor "star" is revealed as mortal after all.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:11 pm »
Thank you Fiona, and yes, now I am with you, feeling sad again. It will always be there, sometimes hidden deep inside, sometimes it resurfaces, and the sadness and frustrations feel just as bad as they did that first day.

Rest in Peace dear Heath.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2009, 02:20:17 am »
Yes Fiona, I remember that incident.

Actually, what happened was someone from the press or connected with the media, squirted him with a water pistol, while he was walking the red carpet, and filmed his reaction.

It happened at the Australian premiere of Brokeback Mountain...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Katie77

« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:54 am »
It happened at the Australian premiere of Brokeback Mountain...

Bastards..........

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:03 pm »
JOHNNY DEPP has paid a personal tribute to the late HEATH LEDGER by naming a section of his private paradise island in the Bahamas after the tragic actor.
The Pirates of the Caribbean star owns Little Hall's Pond Cay in the Caribbean and frequently travels there with his girlfriend Vanessa Paradis and their two children, Lily-Rose, 10, and Jack, seven.
Depp reveals he has renamed a prime snorkelling spot Heath's Place, in memory of his pal, and admits the sunshine getaway provides the perfect place to unwind and escape from the pressures of Hollywood.
He tells Vanity Fair magazine, "I don’t think I'd ever seen any place so pure and beautiful.
"(Pond Cay life) is my decompression. It's my way of trying to return to normalcy. Escapism is survival to me. You can feel your pulse rate drop about 20 beats. It's instant freedom. ...And a little morsel of anonymity.
"Whenever I was getting frustrated about being 'novelty boy' and making movies, I told myself, Calm down. I can come down here and disappear. I spent the Christmas season here with Vanessa and the kids. You can feed hot dogs to the nurse sharks in the Exumas (the outer islands of the Bahamas) - but it's best to not swim when doing it."
Ledger died from an accidental prescription drug overdose in January 2008.
Depp is one of three actors who have stepped in to take over Ledger's role in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, his last unfinished project, alongside Colin Farrell and Jude Law.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/depp-honours-ledger-with-snorkelling-cove_1105133

Offline Katie77

« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:50 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,,25600138-5005368,00.html

June 07, 2009 10:00am
PERTH chart-toppers Eskimo Joe have written a tribute to tragic star Heath Ledger (watch the video here).

Their new single and radio hit, Foreign Land, is about Ledger's untimely death in New York.

``New York is a big bad city in some respects,'' Eskimo Joe singer Kav Temperley said. ``It's got a coldness and loneliness to it.

``And this young man dying in a foreign land, we felt the loneliness of the situation.''

Eskimo Joe - Temperley, Joel Quartermain and Stuart McLeod -  are from Ledger's hometown of Perth.

``We came from the same town, we were the same age and we were in New York when he died,'' Temperley said.

A powerful lyric in the song - ``I smell the blood of an Australian'' - is about the US media bloodlust following Ledger's death.

``They pretended to be sorry, but they really loved it,'' Quartermain said. ``They loved the fact that somebody was dead.''

Eskimo Joe were scheduled to do US interviews on the same day as Ledger's passing.

``When everyone got wind of the fact we were from the same town as Heath, they shoved microphones in our faces.

``We got a distant taste of the media frenzy. And it left a bad taste.

``For us, it was like: `Let the poor guy be.'''

Ledger's father, Kim, had no comment on the song.

The band, and their record company Warner Music, have had no contact from the Ledger family about Foreign Land.

Eskimo Joe performed an exclusive acoustic version of Foreign Land, which you can watch now.

Foreign Land, by Eskimo Joe, sample lyrics -

Steady my shaky hands

Shut off the world's demands

to get the facts down

Do you understand?

That this is a foreign land

So try to understand that

Do you understand?

Do you understand?

This is what it feels to love

then l can feel that

Even when you're all alone

Even when it's not your home

Take a little look around

nothing else hits the ground

Touch my hand

up to the air

Dying in the foreign land

So do you understand that

Do you understand?

Even when you're all alone

When it's not your home

I smell the blood of an Australian

Offline optom3

« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:10 am »
Well that set the waterworks off again. How very true what they said though.The media pretended to be sad but really it was a good dramatic story for them, which they managed to drag out for some time.
What was really sad, is that stupidly it had never really sunk in that Heath did pass in a country not his own. It is bad enough that he died alone,I hope with all my heart that he just fell asleep never to wake. I hope he never had a conscious second of panic, wondering what was happening to him.

Offline trekfan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Their Love Will Live Forever!
« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2009, 05:05:43 pm »
what a beautiful man he was inside and out.    There is a hole that can never be filled.     :'(

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:45 pm »
     Sue you should never be ashamed to be an Aussie.  All of the Aussies are not responsible for what happened to Heath, at that

premier, any more than, all Americans are responsible for the deaths of Pres. Kennedy, or his brother.  There are always kooks in

every place and every country.  It is a sad fact that when people become famous, its just a bad fall out, or the price you pay to

have fame and celebrity.

I am watching the mad media rush now that is following Adam Lambert around.  Its crazy.  His being gay makes him an

additional target.  I just hope they have good security on him...I fear for his safety. 

I certainly don't know the answer to the problem, I doubt there is one...?   Maybe international stalker laws, that

require six feet or more away from the celebs.  But that again stops the ones that wish to interact with their fans the

ability to do so.????

When I thinnk of Heaths death, other than the utter devastation and sadness, was that damnable video.   They played

over and over and over.  The gurney and the hearse leaving his home.   I wanted to scream,,,,,stop! stop! stop !stop! IT

We had seen it too many times...........................................................

Beautiful mind