Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 380725 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 05:37:37 am »
Thanks Jeff and Mel.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2008, 07:23:42 am »
Wes Bentley, Heath's co-star from The Four Feathers, remembers Heath as 'a vibrant man'.

The reclusive actor Wes Bentley made a rare public statement Tuesday to remember his friend Heath Ledger as a "man who spread so much spark to so many people."

Capitalizing letters for emphasis, the American Beauty star described Ledger, who was found dead last week, as "a Vibrant Man, a Brave Actor, a Passionate Father and a Friend Forever."

"Heath was an essential piece of my Life," wrote Bentley, 29, who costarred with Ledger in 2002's Four Feathers. "At one point we were as close as two people could get without being blood. That closeness came from sharing a similar, life-altering experience in life at a young age where very few could relate and those who could often were pre-occupied with competition. It would have been isolating, not to mention boring, without him."

Added Bentley, who didn't make another film until five years after Four Feathers, "I don't know if I could have come back without him."

In fact it was because of Bentley turning down a part that Ledger got one of his breakthrough roles: that of the suicidal prison guard's son in Monster's Ball.

"(Wes) was signed up to play that part and he pulled out in the last minute because he really doesn't like to work that much," Ledger said in 2005. "I think they were threatening to sue him. So he asked me to do this for him to get him out of trouble. It was a great opportunity for me and I took it. It was a nice gift from Wes.

In his statement, Bentley urged people to "resist our routine chore of dwelling on a celebrities moments at Death, taking what is essentially inconsequential to a man's definition and making it his Legacy."

"While most of us forget we're alive and are dead on our feet, Heath woke up everyday excited about what was out there to enjoy," wrote Bentley. "He lived in a way that spread so much spark to so many people every day he had. Heath not only lived for himself, if he could've he would Lived for all of us as well. That was his way."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174775,00.html
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2008, 08:12:53 am »
Here's a rather lukewarm tribute from PerthNow, Australia:

By movie critic Margaret Pomeranz

January 30, 2008 03:00pm

THE shocking news of Heath Ledger's death has devastated not only those close to him, but those of us who knew him through his work in film, writes The Movie Show critic Margaret Pomeranz.

We knew him because he actually shared something of himself with us, a vulnerability, a mischievousness, an intelligence and certainly a major talent.

It would have been easy for Heath to take his talent and his screen charisma for granted, but he didn't do that, he pushed boundaries in the roles he chose.

He was daring and certainly very astute in choosing to work with directors such as Marc Forster with that splendid small role in Monster's Ball . It made us all sit up and take notice.

To play a gay cowboy took a good deal of courage, but obviously he knew that director Ang Lee would steer Brokeback Mountain with a sure hand. It was a great choice for him to make, as was his decision to return to Australia to work with director Neil Armfield and writer Luke Davies on Candy.

The tragedy is that you feel that Heath wasn't at the peak of his career, he'd achieved a lot but you felt that more wonderful work was still to come.

There is such a sadness that he was so young, so talented, seemingly so good at handling the superficialities of the industry in which he was involved.

And so damned nice! What a loss.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23132845-948,00.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:37 am »
Here's a rather lukewarm tribute from PerthNow, Australia:

By movie critic Margaret Pomeranz

The tragedy is that you feel that Heath wasn't at the peak of his career, he'd achieved a lot but you felt that more wonderful work was still to come.

There is such a sadness that he was so young, so talented, seemingly so good at handling the superficialities of the industry in which he was involved.

And so damned nice! What a loss.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23132845-948,00.html

Umm, maybe someone should send this woman a dvd of Brokeback Mountain?  ::) Just a suggestion...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:30 am »
LOL Fabienne - maybe that's what we can do with our extra funds - start educating people on BBM! Free DVD included.  :D
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2008, 12:33:24 pm »
I think Wes Bentley's written tribute was wonderful.  It fills in a lot of blanks, in a way.  A lot of people close to Heath are probably in no emotional shape to make a 'statement', and he has come out with something heartfelt and dignified.

Go Wes!

mvansand76

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »
I think Wes Bentley's written tribute was wonderful.  It fills in a lot of blanks, in a way.  A lot of people close to Heath are probably in no emotional shape to make a 'statement', and he has come out with something heartfelt and dignified.

Go Wes!

Yup! I agree. Another actor to put on our Favorite People list...  ;)

yb

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »
I have not read all the tributes, but to me Christopher Nolan's has to be among the best, you could clearly tell the love he has for Heath. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2008, 01:14:27 pm »
I have not read all the tributes, but to me Christopher Nolan's has to be among the best, you could clearly tell the love he has for Heath. 

I thought the one from A.O. Scott in the New York Times was also excellent. It should be near the very beginning of this thread, it came out last Wednesday.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

Re: An Actor Whose Work Will Outlast the Frenzy
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2008, 12:01:01 pm »
I thought the one from A.O. Scott in the New York Times was also excellent. It should be near the very beginning of this thread, it came out last Wednesday.

L

Mr. Ledger’s work will outlast the frenzy. But there should have been more. Instead of being preserved as a young star eclipsed in his prime, he should have had time to outgrow his early promise and become the strange, surprising, era-defining actor he always had the potential to be.

:'( :'(