Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Read 264293 times)

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2010, 10:27:16 pm »

Only one way to find out  ;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:06 am »
I wish I could join you guys...  :(

I'm thinkin' on driving up to Oakland to the Grand Lake Theatre. They even play the Wurlitzer organ and all.  Maybe I'll ask Marie if she wants to go...

Yep, I'll be there with bells on.  Looking forward to it!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2010, 01:25:49 am »
Just got back from seeing Imaginarium tonight with Lynne, Ron, Andrew, Pete and Sandy.

The Harvard Square Theatre showed it in the main theatre, but it was only about half full, on opening night.  Overly loud, overly cold and with sound system problems.  Ugh.

It's a big old mess of a movie.  Lovely to see Heath so full of life, if just for a little while. 

I'm afraid I disliked the film.  I said at dinner later that I usually fall asleep during Terry Gilliam films (including Brothers Grimm), but it was so cold in the theatre, it kept me awake.  While some of the visuals were, well, imaginative, it wasn't much of a story. 

Johnny Depp shone in a brief scene.  I didn't care for Jude Law (but, I usually don't).  Colin Farrel was pretty good. 

I think I'll prefer to remember Heath in his earlier roles.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2010, 03:33:47 pm »

Lynne and all, did you get pictures of the Marquee?  I got them of the Grand Lake, but I'm waiting for my sister to email them to me.

I actually liked the movie, but it was not as good as Brothers Grimm.  ;) 

Huge Spoiler

I do wish his character had been redemed though, instead of ending up to be the "bad guy" in the end. 

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »

Marie and I also noticed in a few scenes how Heath had bags under his eyes, and well, just didn't look too good.  :-\  :'(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »
I do have a marquis photo, Eric. I will try to post it when I get home tonight.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »
The Loews Theater at Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:36 am »
I've been musing on this for a couple of days and I'm mostly in agreement with Paul.  I didn't care for The Brothers Grimm and Parnassus was an even bigger disappointment, probably because I imagined Heath doing great things in his last role.

I'm glad they took the trouble to finish it, but the story was heavy on allegory and light on substance - some pretty good special effects, but not sufficiently exciting to salvage a predictable plot.

I think that besides Brokeback Mountain, of course, I'll choose A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You as movies to remember Heath by - he's young and happy and full of life in those movies - you can tell he's having a great time.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2010, 12:21:39 pm »
Better news came with Sony Pictures Classics’ rather aggressive expansion of Terry Gilliam’s “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.”  After two weekends of fantastic numbers in very limited release, Heath Ledger’s final film went from 4 to 552 screens, and saw a good - but not fantastic - result.  “Parnassus” grossed $1,706,507 and nearly cracked the overall top ten, outgrossing a number of films (including “Nine”) that were on twice its screens.  However, its $3,091 per-theater-average, while respectable, was certainly not ideal.  Including its limited release, “Parnassus” has now grossed $2,105,637.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2010/01/10/box_office_crazy_flops_weinstein_woes_continue_with_youth

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, hopefully no spoilers
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »
Saw this film when it opened in Denver last Friday. I tend to like most of Terry Gilliam's work, and definitely wanted to see Heath's last performance, but wasn't expecting the performance to be very extensive, being as how they called in three other performers to complete his work. My first main reaction is that I thought everybody did an excellent job of making this into a movie given the overwhelming challenges, and I think Terry, the editors, Johnny, Colin, Jude and, yes, Heath surmounted the problem of Heath's untimely demise very well, plotwise. It was a completely plausible plot line throughout, although the ending seemed a little weak as if an afterthought.

I also really liked how the Tony character was introduced, the shadow under the bridge. And I liked the way the characters were developed. All of the characters were interesting and appealing to me, even the Devil!! Of the four Tonys, my favorite was, of course, Heath. He was a wonderful combination of shabby classiness. In costume, he looked better than the stills I've seen from the movie. I wasn't concerned with looking for details about Heath's health or problems, as far as I was concerned he was just as invisible inside his character as he was in the Joker or Ennis. Then, I liked Jude and Colin. Johnny seemed like he was just being a stand-in. I kept thinking that Antoine was a hobbit, did anyone else get that feeling? Of course, the special effects and fantasy sequences were eye-popping (and they keep popping up in my dreams, especially that balloon!) The plot did not reach its full potential...I could see a sequel here! and sometimes the story did get lost in the shuffle between effects, scenery and props, characters clowning around, and Pythonesque over-the-top humor. But that's what we go to these type of movies for...something completely different!
"chewing gum and duct tape"