Author Topic: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS  (Read 37473 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: SAG Awards on TNT and TBS right now
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 11:52:17 pm »
I don't have a television, but I saw this on the web:

From The New York Times Weblog

The Carpetbagger by David Carr

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/

January 27, 2008,  10:03 pm

Aiming Point

In the least surprising win of the night, Daniel Day-Lewis was named the best leading actor in a dramatic role. He was halting, smashing and effecting in receiving the award. Instead of merely saying he was humbled, he clearly demonstrated. “It has always been the work of my fellow actors, including my fellow nominees, who have given me a sense of regeneration.”

Heath Ledger gave it to me,” he said. “We wanted to follow him and yet we were afraid to follow him.”

“In Brokeback Mountain, he was unique. He was perfect. The scene in the trailer at the end of the movie was as moving as anything we have ever seen. I‘d like to dedicate this award to him.”

(Is it too small of me to say: take THAT Philip Seymour Hoffman! Hah!)

well, I'm crying just reading his speech...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 11:53:08 pm »
I hope DDL knows or finds out how much his dedication to Heath meant to an awful lot of people.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:35 pm »
I don't think that's the whole speech either -- he said something about Monster's Ball before the following part.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »

DDL is a class act.

What a bright moment in this week of shadow and sorrow.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04:44 am »

When I replayed the memorium, I listened more closely.  When the music stopped, and Heaths picture was displayed I heard a quiet 'sigh' from a few of the audience members.  It was faint, but it was there, and it was touching.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 12:10:57 am »

Heath Ledger gave it to me,” he said. “We wanted to follow him and yet we were afraid to follow him.”

“In Brokeback Mountain, he was unique. He was perfect. The scene in the trailer at the end of the movie was as moving as anything we have ever seen. I‘d like to dedicate this award to him.” [/b]

HOLY SHIT.  I'm cryin' my eyes out.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:21 am »
Bettermostians may be interested to see some (I say some !) of the comments made at the New York Times blog 'The Carpetbagger'  after Daniel Day-Lewis's beautiful dedication to Heath--

12 comments below so far

(and you can add more here: http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/aiming-point/#comments

1.January 27th, 2008 10:06 pm
D. Lewis’ acceptance speech was a complete touch of class, and in a world of acting, genuinely seemed sincere.

Bravo.

— Posted by mgd in CT

2.January 27th, 2008 10:08 pm
He was wonderful!!! I saw There Will Be Blood and he was wonderful, as he was in Gangs of New York. But, his tribute to Heath Ledger was absolutely moving. I hadn’t remembered that Heath Ledger played Billy Bob Thornton’s son in Monster’s Ball until I saw a tribute to Heath after he passed away. That scene, the same one Daniel Day-Lewis mentioned where his character kills himself after telling his father he always loved him, was one of the most emotional moments I have ever had in a theater. His character’s loss of companionship because of the times he lived in in Brokeback Mountain makes us all realize how lucky we are to be alive and to treasure the people in our lives. Thank you, Daniel Day-Lewis, for your tribute to a great actor. A Heath Ledger comes along once in a very great while. Ditto for a Daniel Day-Lewis.
— Posted by rgreen7756

3.January 27th, 2008 10:22 pm
What’s up with him going on about Heath Ledger? First breaking down on Oprah and now this? Its odd…he’s admitted to never having met him, much less worked wiht him, its feels unseemly.

— Posted by Irma CMD

4.January 27th, 2008 10:26 pm
Congratulations to Mr. Lewis for his much deserved award. His dedication to Heath Ledger was the most moving moments I can ever remember. It is what the true appreciation of another human being is all about. Thank you, Mr. Lewis.
— Posted by L.Y

5.January 27th, 2008 10:27 pm
DDL has clearly been affected by HL’s death. I applaud the courage both these men showed in a world that glosses over loss and shines a spotlight on scandal. Heath, we’ll never know if the glimmer of his vast talent would have grown to a fire. Daniel, we are illuminated by your wisdom and compassion. Bravo!
— Posted by Zee

6.January 27th, 2008 10:36 pm
I am so happy he won this award, and should/must win the oscar. This speech shows his true character, and as he spoke, I was actually close to tears, and so was he. He truly is an actor’s actor, and knew Heath was too, and loosing that is the most tragic thing. I wish this was all a dream (Heath’s death) but when Daniel said this speech, it made it more real, but it made Heath’s life ever more beautiful.

Daniel Day Lewis is magnificent.

— Posted by Taylor

7.January 27th, 2008 10:40 pm
Daniel Day-Lewis never disappoints!

— Posted by ada

8.January 27th, 2008 10:44 pm
Heath Ledger played some awful roles, but he WAS Ennis in Brokeback Mountain. I just read the short story, and I don’t know how Heath Ledger transformed himself from his real-life persona to the complicated, closeted gay shepherd he played in Brokeback. DDL is one of the most brilliant actors ever. For him to dedicate his award to HL was an act of beauty, not ego. He was acknowledging a brilliant performance by an actor who could have been his peer.

— Posted by Jamie

9.January 27th, 2008 10:49 pm
If only everyone in Hollywood was this classy, respectful, and intelligent. He is truly amazing.
— Posted by Joan

10.January 27th, 2008 10:51 pm
This is totally classy! I did not see the show so thank you for telling us about it.

— Posted by Sophie

11.January 27th, 2008 11:01 pm
 Irma: “Its odd… he’s admitted to never having met him, much less worked wiht him, its feels unseemly.”

DDL saw Heath’s acting, and that was enough.

It’s a professional judgement - and the best.
(Why should he have met him? Or do you believe in nepotism?)

— Posted by cris

12.January 27th, 2008 11:05 pm
I first fell in love with Daniel Day-Lewis’ acting ability when I saw ‘My Left Foot’ … WOW - WHAT TALENT! At first, I too thought it was a bit strange, his statements on Oprah about Health Ledger’s passing and again on his dedication to Heath tonight, but then I realized ….. he truly admired Heath’s work and also is realizing what WE will ALL miss out on with Heath’s passing. I did not know Heath Ledger either - just like Daniel Day-Lewis - but I’ve been touched emotionally by his passing. I was impressed by Heath’s acting in Brokeback Mountain and Monster’s Ball. There was something you could tell about him that there was truly going to be some great acting ahead of him in his future. We are all going to miss out on what he may have given to us - but how much more his family is going to miss out on not having him around. Daniel Day-Lewis is a voice for quite a few of us out here. True class and heart.

— Posted by Carolyn

Add your comments...
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:10 am »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 12:23:32 am »

Thank you for all these reports about the SAG awards.  I just couldn't bring myself to watch an awards show tonight.  Like all of you, I'm very touched to hear about Daniel Day-Lewis's lovely gesture.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:22 am »
Wow. That speech of Daniel Day-Lewis's sounds amazingly classy. His tribute on Oprah was wonderful, too. (Thanks for sharing it, Eric.)

I read someplace that the SAG in memorium had already been planned before Heath's death, and they had to scramble to add him to it. That may explain why his picture appeared as if added on at the last minute.

But it sounds as though DDL more than made up for it. Heartfelt respect from an admirer of Heath's work, from someone who hadn't even known Heath personally... what's Tolkien's line about the praise of the praiseworthy again? (Meryl? Mikaela?)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.