Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85504 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Updates and breaking news can be found on our home page news banner, as CNN issues them.

BREAKING: The New York City medical examiner's office has ruled that Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:58:49 am by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:33:26 am »
(CNN) -- Heath Ledger died from an accidental overdose of prescription medications including painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills, the New York City medical examiner's office said Tuesday.

Actor Heath Ledger, 28, died January 22 at an apartment in Lower Manhattan.

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement.

"We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."

Ledger died January 22 at an apartment in Lower Manhattan. The Oscar-nominated Australian actor, best known for his role as a stoic, closeted cowboy in the 2005 film "Brokeback Mountain," was 28.

An autopsy done on the actor January 23 was inconclusive.

A housekeeper, identified as Teresa Solomon, arrived at the apartment about 12:30 p.m. on the day Ledger died, a police source with knowledge of the investigation said.

She saw Ledger lying on a bed face down with a sheet pulled up around his shoulders and heard him snoring, the source said.

Masseuse Diana Wolozin arrived at the apartment about 2:45 p.m. to give Ledger a massage, according to the police source. About 15 minutes later, when he had not come out of the bedroom and the door remained closed, she went in, saw him lying in bed and set up a massage table.

She shook Ledger, but he did not respond, so she used his cell phone to call actress Mary-Kate Olsen, a friend of Ledger's, in California, the source said.

Olsen reportedly told her that she would call private security people in New York.

At 3:26 p.m., Wolozin called 911 and told authorities Ledger was not breathing. While on the phone with dispatchers, Wolozin tried to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Ledger, but he was unresponsive.

Emergency personnel arrived seven minutes later, according to the police source, at about the same time as a private security person summoned by Olsen.

The medical technicians performed CPR on Ledger and used a cardiac defibrillator, but their efforts were in vain and he was pronounced dead at 3:36 p.m. By then, two other private security people summoned by Olsen had arrived as well as police.

Ledger's family called his death "very tragic, untimely and accidental." Relatives returned home Tuesday to Perth, Australia, where a private funeral ceremony reportedly will be held, according to The Associated Press. The timing of the funeral is unclear, the AP said.

His former fiancée, actress Michelle Williams, has asked the public to respect the need for her, the couple's 2-year-old daughter, Matilda, and others "to grieve privately."

"My heart is broken," Williams said in a statement issued last week via her publicist. "I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father. All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time, and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up in the best memories of him."

Condolences poured in from Ledger's friends and co-stars.

"He was a wonderful guy, he was a wonderful actor, he had a wonderful future ahead of him, and I liked him," said actor Eric Roberts, who worked with Ledger in "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the "Batman" series set to open in July.

Colleagues on the Terry Gilliam's film "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," which Ledger had been shooting in England, said the actor apparently had been suffering from a respiratory ailment in the days before he died.

Christopher Plummer told Entertainment Weekly that Ledger had a "terrible, lingering bug in London, and he couldn't sleep at all. We all -- I thought he'd probably got walking pneumonia."

Ledger's first American film was the teen comedy "10 Things I Hate About You" in 1999. He passed up several scripts before taking a role in the Revolutionary War drama "The Patriot" in 2000 and "A Knight's Tale" in 2001. He also played a supporting role in "Monster's Ball."

But Ledger was perhaps best known for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain," Ang Lee's film about two cowboys who had a secret Romantic relationship. The role earned Ledger a best actor Oscar nomination.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:40:36 am »
At last, thank you Phillip.  I know I'm relieved to hear the words "accidental" and "prescription medications."  ((((((((Heath))))))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:44:31 am »
(CNN)
"...resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."

I don't understand.  Accidental death and abuse of prescription medications???  What does that mean? 

Does it just mean that he wasn't using them as prescribed?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:45:15 am »
This is a pretty outrageous list of drugs to be found in one's system.  If a doctor prescribed him Oxycontin, Vicodin, and all of those various anti-anxiety meds, that's obvious malpractice and he or she should never practice medicine again.  If someone was handing him these drugs or he obtained them from a dealer, this is yet another tragedy of drug abuse.  A lot of young people have turned to prescription drug abuse instead of the illegal street drugs like cocaine and meth.  They assume that prescription drugs are less dangerous and addicting.  Big pharma likes people to believe that, but with highly addictive drugs like Oxy and Vicodin, where you need to take progressively more of it to combat developing tolerance, they can be just as deadly as crack cocaine.

We have a problem in this country where doctors treat mental stress and conditions associated with depression and anxiety by literally throwing drugs at the problem, when study after study shows that talk therapy can be just as effective, or even more so, than prescription drugs.  It takes a bigger commitment to talk through issues in your life with a therapist, and the insurance industry considers it more expensive, but it's far less dangerous that just handing over a stack of prescriptions to fill at the local CVS or Walgreens.

High potency and proven dangerous drugs like painkillers obviously need to be reserved for the more serious cases, and not handed over to anyone who asks, which is too often how Oxy and Vicodin get prescribed (and often resold on the street).

This is another shocking shame.  This country needs to take action to help inform people about and prevent prescription drug abuse.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:02 am »
This is a pretty outrageous list of drugs to be found in one's system.  If a doctor prescribed him Oxycontin, Vicodin, and all of those various anti-anxiety meds, that's obvious malpractice and he or she should never practice medicine again.  If someone was handing him these drugs or he obtained them from a dealer, this is yet another tragedy of drug abuse.  A lot of young people have turned to prescription drug abuse instead of the illegal street drugs like cocaine and meth.  They assume that prescription drugs are less dangerous and addicting.  Big pharma likes people to believe that, but with highly addictive drugs like Oxy and Vicodin, where you need to take progressively more of it to combat developing tolerance, they can be just as deadly as crack cocaine.

I agree.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:49:11 am »
This is a pretty outrageous list of drugs to be found in one's system. 

Phillip, I agree.  Was he in such serious pain to be prescribed oxycodone and hydrocodone?  I don't understand.  

Sorry, I'm rambling, I'm in total shock.  

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:49:20 am »
I agree Phillip, that list of drugs is pretty shocking. :(  Poor Heath.

They way the report uses the terms "accidental" and "abuse" is a bit confusing, and seems to send some mixed messages.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:49:33 am »
I don't understand.  Accidental death and abuse of prescription medications???  What does that mean? 

Does it just mean that he wasn't using them as prescribed?

No, this was clear abuse, but perhaps not intentional.  It's abusive because no responsible doctor would have prescribed all of those drugs to be taken in combination and he took them all over a short period of time.  That's a shocking list of drugs.  It's accidental because he did not intentionally end his life.  

Now whether he hoarded earlier prescriptions and took them all at once, or just as likely a doctor cumulatively prescribed every one of them over a period of time (but not intended to be taken together), is unknown at this time, and should be investigated.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51:32 am »
They way the report uses the terms "accidental" and "abuse" is a bit confusing, and seems to send some mixed messages.

That's where I'm at Amanda.