Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 324119 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

Guess I am going to have to rent this movie...

Beautiful mind

injest

Gabe was a compelling character, but he was necessarily shallow, all show, all bluster.

Granted he was hung over when he got to the diner, and had no idea how to deal with it, he got his point out there that it was okay and should have left it at that. The writers knew better, it was an opportunity to get in that "thing" I tried to start a thread on once and I still don't think I got myself understood.

Gabe says "Guys give better head don't they?" and starts off on this thing I have experenced many times when a straight male acquaintence suddenly gets real interested in what I do in bed. It can be off putting, and because of Gabe's shallowness he cannot see that Zach is not about all that, he is dealing with something much more profound.

Now let me ask this: Did they ever say they loved each other?

not in so many words...no..

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Now let me ask this: Did they ever say they loved each other?

No. But what's your point?  ;D  ;D

Reminiscent much?

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

now I gotta see it again....I forgot about that last scene with the walkie talkies...

But I really like the first walkie-talkie scene too. Where Shaun finds it and playfully talks into it and ends up contacting Zach! I love it how they show them both 'stuck' at home (sitting on a bed - parallelisms..). I love how Shaun is startled when he gets a reply (weird one no less) and how he smiles into his walkie talkie when he realizes that it's Zach at the other end. Sweet. They are connecting. [But HOW would the batteries still work after 10 years! Not possible! But I guess, for the movie it had to..  ;D] Sweet also, when the batteries do die and you just both see them sit there and smile.

j. U. d. E.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Yeah, Zach would probably have to put batteries in it for the second scene, along with sneeking in the house, finding it, putting it where Shaun would find it, how could Shaun resist.

And the "Love thing" I never did hear it either, but it was pretty obvious!  ;D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline j.U.d.E.

I could not imagine...I would be totally confused and stressed! Good luck with it though...I would like to hear more..and see your work! (maybe you should start a blog????)  ;D ;D

Ooh. Don't know, don't know. We'll see. I don't want people to feel like they are obliged to say something nice or so. Don't know. I had this very short phase where I painted very skinny humans in all kinds of sad postures. I was told that's actually because I want to be skinny..........??! HUNH? Ok, I need to lose weight, but that's not what these paintings where about.... See, it could all be mis-interpreted and backfire...  :laugh: Also, I hate to have to explain why I painted this or why I painted it this way etc.. Those questions don't make sense to me.. And I'm dreading my own answers already...

I like how Zach starts explaining what the one picture is about (Cody) and then suddenly being fed up with his own talking. Just how I would feel. Even if I had a beautiful Shaun sitting next to me and saying he (or pretending to like) likes my work..

*Jess shamelessly putting in a plug for the Bettermost Blogs*

;D

injest

But I really like the first walkie-talkie scene too. Where Shaun finds it and playfully talks into it and ends up contacting Zach! I love it how they show them both 'stuck' at home (sitting on a bed - parallelisms..). I love how Shaun is startled when he gets a reply (weird one no less) and how he smiles into his walkie talkie when he realizes that it's Zach at the other end. Sweet. They are connecting. [But HOW would the batteries still work after 10 years! Not possible! But I guess, for the movie it had to..  ;D] Sweet also, when the batteries do die and you just both see them sit there and smile.

j. U. d. E.

I dont' know...sometimes a battery will hold a charge for a while...not so far fetched. I have a camcorder I havent' used in almost three years, when I took it out a couple of weeks ago it ran for a few minutes then quit.

also D has a Yoda that has the original batteries in it. It sits on the top of the TV (or should I say HE sits on top of the TV) one night I was sitting here watching TV and he opened his eyes and blinked at me!! so batteries can do strange things...(that is my story and I am sticking to it....it was a STRAY CHARGE FROM THE BATTERY...Yoda is NOT trying to freak me out....)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Gabe says "Guys give better head don't they?" and starts off on this thing I have experenced many times when a straight male acquaintence suddenly gets real interested in what I do in bed. It can be off putting, and because of Gabe's shallowness he cannot see that Zach is not about all that, he is dealing with something much more profound.
I didn't see it that way, actually. I thought Gabe was just trying to defuse the situation, put Zach at ease. He didn't really want an answer!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

I love the song that plays at the end when Zach is starting to realise what he needs to do (go to Shaun and apologize). "I'll take the long way home..." love that title... Zach is going home to Shaun... *sigh*

mvansand76

j. U. d. E.