Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 324036 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

Then the last this evening:

Shelter and Lichtenstein

Roy Lichtenstein, In the Car, 1963

Ok, you've gotta laugh, no?

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

injest

More: (I'm really enjoying this!)

A few more 'snips' from the scene in the film would be instructive, but I think we can interpolate, no?

;)

hey! Just let me know what you want and I will try!

:laugh: :laugh:

I am enjoying it too!

injest

Hey all! I feel a little random posting here but happened across this movie while procrastinating (supposed to be writing an essay/studying for exams guh) but LOVED it! Anywho typed it into google and this forum popped up so after reading 47 pages of posts figured i ought to put in my two cents (it would be stalkerish not too right?) Oh and I apologise if this turns into an essay but the movie got to me haven't stopped thinking about it!!

OK first up I was reading all the articles/reviews on the movie and was really disappointed to see their first kiss put into the too much to drink/wrestling match category coz i thought it was so much more meaningful then that. I mean after the wrestle they were laying for a little bit and then that gorgeous hand on Zacks chest and the slow move to the kiss made it seem so beautiful. Plus a couple drinks doesn't make you drunk - maybe loosens your inhibitions a little...

Oh my god....that hand on Zach's chest!!! *Sigh*

Definitely NOT brought on by the drinking!

I found the scene when they were talking about Shaun's book confusing to be honest, though after reading your posts i see a few of you are going down the same track I am. The way Shaun seemed surprised Gabe hadn't told him Zack had the read the book was an interesting reaction. I can't figure it out if by then its because he likes Zach or if its because Gabe's been giving him updates over the time they havn't seen each other (which i think i'm alone in being under the impression it hadn't been that long). I mean it may be that Shaun's always had a thing for Zack or its just a matter of Gabe adn Shaun chatting and since Zack's in Gabe's life he mentions him (my family knows alot about my friends just from normal conversation)...

Like I have said previously, MY take on it was that Gabe had had a thing for Zach for a while...and probably had mentioned it to Gabe (they were pretty open in their relationship, Gabe and Shaun). So he would be surprised that Gabe hadn't told him, given how open they were with each other.

Also lending more credence is Zach saying in the car when they broke up that bit about being a childhood fantasy...as if there had been a conversation not shown where they discussed when they first became attracted to each other (which would be a pretty normal conversation to have with a lover)

OK quick side just rewatched the part where they meet up again and SHaun says along the lines of "I haven't seen you since your graduation" so we looking at a year or so?

Ok before i bore you all with my ramblings I felt Jeannie was sadly realistic but does anyone else think there was a little gorowth at the end? I mean she seemed kind of humbled (not sure on right word here) when she realises that Zack turned down the school the first time. So maybe she saw that Zack's mroe willing to make sacrifices then she ever will be?

right i'd better go study and i apologise for my long winded post!!

Yes, I do see a little growth in Jeannie...

To me it seemed at the first that she didnt' see Zach as an individual with needs and wants of his own. He was always there for her and she took him for granted. I think she gained some much needed respect for him by the end...

• BetterMost Supporter!

hey! Just let me know what you want and I will try! :laugh: :laugh:
I am enjoying it too!

Thank you so much!

(Though I think I'm getting punchy!)

Shelter and Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper, Nighthawks, 1942

What is it about diners--so sad in both images!

"Camping Out"

injest

awww...but in the end it WASN"T sad...not for Zach..not really, Gabe came thru for him!

mvansand76

• BetterMost Supporter!

Shelter and Alexandros of Antioch

Alexandros of Antioch, Venus di Milo, about 80 BCE

So modest--but a classic!

"Camping Out"

mvansand76

Weeeeeheeeeeheeee, that's great!  :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrapposto

"Contrapposto is an Italian term meaning "counterpoise" used in the visual arts to describe a human figure standing with most of its weight on one foot so that its shoulders and arms twist off-axis from the hips and legs. This gives the figure a more dynamic, or alternatively relaxed appearance. It can also encompass the tension as a figure changes from resting on a given leg to walking or running upon it (so-called ponderation). Contrapposto is less emphasized than the more sinuous S-Curve."

(And Zach's got nice shoulders too.)

;)

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Thanks! I never knew what contrapposto was.

And I agree about the shoulders, btw... ::)  ;)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'