Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323898 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Lord I have no idea, I started watching it on chinese youtube back in March and saw it sever times there and once I got my dvd I think I have seen it a dozen times since then.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!

Here is a random moment I recall that was charming..
Outside the grocery store, when Zach tries to explain to Cody that he is his uncle, not his father, Cody insists saying "You're my dad, you're my dad, you're my dad.." as if he is trying to convince them both.  Very cute.

Another question for you experts out there..
Right before the scene where Shaun finds and puts in the tape of younger Zach and Gabe skateboarding, he was lying on the bed checking something on his laptop.  He seems frustrated, closes it and then goes on to find the tape he was about to watch.  Any idea what was going on there?

After watching this movie last night, I had a sudden craving to see another happy ending and my mind immediately took me to my Latter Days DVD.  I probably did see it a dozen times but damn, it's been too long.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Here is a random moment I recall that was charming..
Outside the grocery store, when Zach tries to explain to Cody that he is his uncle, not his father, Cody insists saying "You're my dad, you're my dad, you're my dad.." as if he is trying to convince them both.  Very cute.

Another question for you experts out there..
Right before the scene where Shaun finds and puts in the tape of younger Zach and Gabe skateboarding, he was lying on the bed checking something on his laptop.  He seems frustrated, closes it and then goes on to find the tape he was about to watch.  Any idea what was going on there?

After watching this movie last night, I had a sudden craving to see another happy ending and my mind immediately took me to my Latter Days DVD.  I probably did see it a dozen times but damn, it's been too long.

Oh I know, sometimes I put in Latter Days and just watch the last 15 minutes.

Shaun is workingon his second book, and I think he is reading some portion he has written earlier and does not care for. He says something like "Who wrote this crap"

Or maybe it is an email from his ex-partner..... :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

This thread is over 50 pages long..dang, would be nice to read it all, but I don't got no time right now to go through everything. I gotta watch it again, no doubt, to pick up on the little details I missed the first time.

Hey, we've been asking for a Making of Brokeback book--maybe we should ask for a Making of Shelter book too!

:laugh:
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
So, how many times has everyone seen the movie?  8)  Lee, T...?

I only saw it once and it was last fall before the movie came out in theaters.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Hey, we've been asking for a Making of Brokeback book--maybe we should ask for a Making of Shelter book too!

:laugh:

Yeah and we've been asking for a decent DVD release of Brokeback Mountain and got crap, so I won't hold my breath for a book.... ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Or maybe it is an email from his ex-partner..... :laugh:

That's sorta what I was thinking...  ;D

I only saw it once and it was last fall before the movie came out in theaters.

Wow, had no idea it's been out that long.

One other thing in the movie that was amusing:
Gabe's "Nice shirt by the way!" comment to Zach in the diner kitchen (after Z & S were almost discovered in bed together) kinda indicates to me that he sorta guessed it was his brother's shirt.  I think he started to put 1 and 1 together at that point.  :)

injest

Greetings, greetings all!  :)

Okay, so I was at the video store two weeks or so ago and picked up a copy of Shelter.
I only got around to watching it last night.

It made me hungry for the ocean and boy, I so wish I could surf.

Anyway, the movie...
I really enjoyed it.  It was uncomplicated in a refreshing sort of way and I thought there was great chemistry between the male leads.

I loved the little moments:   
* Like when Zach and Shaun first meet; there are little pauses in the conversation during which you can't help but feel the crackling tension between them.
* After their first night together, when Zach is driving home, it is almost as if he is exhaling at long last; he can't help but break into a smile that seems to say, 'I can't believe I made it at last.'  I know that feeling well.  I could relate; almost got me all teary then.

The character of Gabe was interesting.  He was clearly accepting of his brother's sexuality and was fine when he discovered Zach was sleeping with him.  All good stuff.  But when he starting talking about men 'giving better head' and 'what about that guy?  you find him attractive..[in reference to a passer-by]', he managed to reduce such a big turning-point in Zach's life into nothing more than sex.  That said, when Gabe was leaving the diner, he said to Zach, "Hey, we're still bros, alright.." and gives him a big hug.  That was heartwarming.  :)

All in all, good movie.  Glad I got the dvd.  I expect I'll pop it in and watch the film again in the very near future.

~M

p/s:  I was wondering - why did they stop to buy Cody flipflops before heading out to Shaun's place?  That scene seemed a little random to me. lol.

Here is my take on Gabe....he was trying so hard to put Zach at ease...Trying to show he was ok with the situation. They have been friends for years remember? So I am sure they are used to talking about sex...probably pretty graphically, so he was striving to put things into their regular conversation. (just my thoughts)

injest

Milli, my two favorite scenes:

the drive in the morning after and that smile!

and the very first night when Zach woke up to find Brad laying next to him on the chaise, the way Brad was curled up like he is sheltering  ;D Zach from the night.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Here is my take on Gabe....he was trying so hard to put Zach at ease...Trying to show he was ok with the situation. They have been friends for years remember? So I am sure they are used to talking about sex...probably pretty graphically, so he was striving to put things into their regular conversation. (just my thoughts)

I agree with your take on it.  Also, guys in their late teens, early twenties (or any age really,) tend to reduce everything down to sex.  Don't we?  ;D