Author Topic: Why the Lie?  (Read 52342 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Why the Lie?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2006, 01:37:25 pm »
Oh, my its really interesting how so many women think they understand everything there is to know about men, including how they think and what they do with themselves while they are thinking.

Hmmm, why are you generalizing and putting words in my mouth?

I never said any of the above.  Go back and read my posts clearly and you will see for yourself.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2006, 01:50:06 pm »
Originally posted by silkincense:

Tiawahcowboy - I just asked this on another thread but since you brought the subject up here & you have such an issue with how your "ID" name is addressed, why didn't you stick to TJ?  Or Joe Allen Doty?

So Tiawahcowboy = Tj = Joe Allen Doty

Interesting.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2006, 02:00:25 pm »
Um, if 'wrang out' is - as you stated - an Oklahoma regional/local expression it is therefore, by YOUR definition, not a national expression and thus may not be applicable to Wyoming.

You don't have to be an expert to make that conclusion.

Right, no one has to be an expert when it comes to jumping to conclusions! How many Western short storys and novels have you read which were written by people who live or have lived in the US states in which the fictional Jack Twist lived and through which he travelled? Have you ever read any of Robert Conley's books? He is an awarded Western fiction writer and also writes Cherokee historical fiction. In his Cherokee "Real People" historical novel series, he has the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma's approval for those stories. Part of what is in his "Real People" series comes for oral history of the Cherokees and was not printed in a book before. But, while he does not cite the source of the oral history, I have heard the same, or almost the, same oral history.   

A little off topic here, have you ever read the Western Novel, "Native," by William Heywood Henderson? That story also takes place in Wyoming. And it is about gay cowboys and homophobia, too.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2006, 02:11:21 pm »
Originally posted by silkincense:

Tiawahcowboy - I just asked this on another thread but since you brought the subject up here & you have such an issue with how your "ID" name is addressed, why didn't you stick to TJ?  Or Joe Allen Doty?

Interesting.

Yep "Del"  ;D it would seem...

Heathen

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2006, 02:22:21 pm »
Wal, thar is times when ah's talkin' t'mah buddies an' when ah's reckonin' of whut ah's a-gonna say next, they say whut ah was a-gonna say an' they said it in th' exack same wo'ds whut ah was reckonin', too. Thet's th' honess truth! Fry mah hide!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2006, 02:32:14 pm »

Interesting.

Yep "Del"  ;D it would seem...

Hmmm, wonder why he would assume so many guises?

I think it was TJ who made some silly statement about leaving the forum if he heard one more 'condescending' comment to him about a certain subject - which of course was an open invitation and he was promptly given exactly that.  Then Doty popped up.

So I guess he had to assume another guise so he could continue to post here and have his other identity appear to be upholding his sworn statement.

::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 02:55:25 pm by delalluvia »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2006, 03:21:25 pm »
I know other people on this board have changed their screen names but never try to disguise their identities. I just don't understand the motivation behind it-noone is fooled-it's perplexing, to be polite.

Anyway, back to the topic-what ist he topic??

O0

Heathen

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2006, 03:54:07 pm »

Anyway, back to the topic-what ist he topic??

Back to the topic thread in this group:

So, this is a relatively straight forward question.  Why does Ennis lie to Alma about how he knows Jack?  When she asks whether they had cowboy-ed together (by the way I love the use of the word cowboy as a verb!) he says, no, that they were fishing buddies.  Why doesn't he want her to know they had worked together?  I truly don't understand the reasoning here.

Well, why did Ennis say one time, "I'm not no queer?" He lied when said that to Jack after they had had quite a bit of same-sex activity.

I already posted that Alma might not have known that he, a cowboyin' ranch hand, had worked with sheep for 3 months. And, he did not want her to know that; what old west type cowboy would admit to herding sheep for a living?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2006, 04:22:27 pm »
silkncense
Sr. Ranch Hand

« Reply #45 on: Today at 10:41:21 am »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tiawahcowboy -

Well the title of this thread is certainly appropriate.  Why the lie? 

The ENTIRE last paragraph with spelling & grammatical errors was previously posted under either the ID "TJ" or "Joe Allen Doty."  If you want, I will try to have the previous posts checked to refresh your memory. 

I did not find the exact copy but here's what I did find -

As Alma said "DON'T try to fool me no more"...

TJ, Joe Allan Doty, Tiawahcowboy - I also don't appreciate your implication that I was either lying or stupid.  I am neither.

LJ

tiawahcowboy
Sr. Ranch Hand

All I know is what I read in the papers

Re: what possessed Jack to take that shirt in the first place?
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 06:21:29 pm »   

Yep, an' thar's a whole passel of Hispanic men who have "Maria" as first name. John Wayne's and Pat Robertson's legal first names? Marion. I used to know a woman whose first name was spelled "Marion."

In my life, I have known men named, Sharon, Shirley, and Sherrill.  Sharon Parks was a great big country boy and nobody fun of his name. Shirley Rogers McKenzie preferred to be called "Roger;" his mother name him after a male Cherokee relative whose full name was "Shirley Rogers." Sherrill Booker told people to just call him "Booker." 

TJ
  Re: Hats off to Roberta Maxwell (Mrs. Twist)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 12:51:39 am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

julie01, after I posted a response to your message, I looked at your BetterMost Profile.

I did not know that you were so much older than me.

The 16 year old "guy" actually has a woman's name "ednakrabapley" in his email address. I have never met a guy named "Edna" (that's my older sister's name); but, I have had friends whose first names were Sherrill, Shirley and Sharon.

Sherrill's last name was "Booker' and he prefered to be called by his last name. Shirley's Middle name was "Rogers;" he had been named after a male Cherokee relative "Shirley Rogers," he preferred to be called "Roger."

Now the Sharon guy was a big fellow and nobody made fun of his name.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 04:25:15 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2006, 05:17:15 pm »
Listen up, I live in Oklahoma and so did thousands of other people. If you look up the colloquial/regional expression, "wrang it out," you will see that it has to do with some serious thinking about getting the answer to a difficult question and it takes quite a while before one realizes what the real answer was.

In the book/short story, in August 1963, after Ennis and Jack drove (their trucks) away in opposite directions, "within a mile Ennis felt like someone was pulling his guts out hand over hand a yard at at time. He stopped at the side of the road and, in the whirling new snow, tried to puke but nothing came up. He felt about as bad as he ever had and it took a long time for the feeling to wear off."

Then at the 1967 Reunion in the Riverton Siesta Motel room . . . "That summer," said Ennis. "When we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, thought I ate somethin bad at that place in Dubois. Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

Ennis did not exactly have a limited vocabulary; he was a man of few words when it came to speaking to strangers and to himself. The expressions, to "figure it out" and to, "wring it out," mean exactly the same thing here in Tiawah.  

well now, Tiawah and Oklahoma are not Wyoming, are they? Just because that's what you want it to mean doesn't make it so. Ennis uses expression to mean other things often. "There's no reins on this one" wasn't referring to riding horses. He does speak with metaphors, in both AP's prose and in the film. All I'm saying is let's allow that there might be more meaning behind words than any one particular interpretation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:25:28 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.