Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201577 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2006, 03:24:01 pm »
On the special edition DVD, isabelle mentioned that it was announced in France that it would be released in mid-July. I'll follow up with her.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2006, 03:55:03 pm »
Welcome to the club, Diane!  :D :D :D Glad to have your agreement, both on its existence and that it's not damaging to the story. And I'm like you -- I never thought it could possibly be there, until I saw it.

You're right, I think you can keep going and going and finding out more and more things -- about the movie and about ourselves. I like your idea of trying to watch with no preconceptions.  :o :)

I was thrilled to discover this hidden line, which, now I know where it is, seems so loud and clear I cannot imagine anyone missing it. I also find it intensely moving, as well as apt - it moves the emotional apex of the film from the very end back to the purgatory of the Twist ranch, turning the subsequent scenes into a wistful epilogue. IMHO this results in a more balanced whole. The story effectively ends with the scene of Ennis driving away from Lightning Flat, which is the mirror image of the opening scene. It doesn't seem right that anything dramatically crucial should occur after that, and now it doesn't, - what the epilogue does bring is a glimmer of hope: Ennis has learned something from his experience.

I do think it is a bit harsh on Ennis to assume that, even in that private, intensely emotional moment, he would not be able to say these words. He IS, definitely, a loving man - only not very talented at expressing it.
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2006, 03:59:22 pm »
Hey Diane - I am SOOOOO glad you finally heard the "I Love You".

What I, myself, have not YET heard is the "fuck.......me" apparently uttered by Jack in TS1?  Is that correct?

Can someone tell me when he says this so I can listen for it?

Thanks,

Daphne7661
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2006, 04:10:50 pm »
Hey Diane - I am SOOOOO glad you finally heard the "I Love You".

What I, myself, have not YET heard is the "fuck.......me" apparently uttered by Jack in TS1?  Is that correct?

Can someone tell me when he says this so I can listen for it?

Thanks,

Daphne7661

HOLY COW!  :o I haven't heard about that  one! Lordy, lordy! Whew! Another reason to watch TS1, I guess!  ::)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2006, 04:26:43 pm »
I was thrilled to discover this hidden line, which, now I know where it is, seems so loud and clear I cannot imagine anyone missing it. I also find it intensely moving, as well as apt - it moves the emotional apex of the film from the very end back to the purgatory of the Twist ranch, turning the subsequent scenes into a wistful epilogue. IMHO this results in a more balanced whole. The story effectively ends with the scene of Ennis driving away from Lightning Flat, which is the mirror image of the opening scene. It doesn't seem right that anything dramatically crucial should occur after that, and now it doesn't, - what the epilogue does bring is a glimmer of hope: Ennis has learned something from his experience.

I do think it is a bit harsh on Ennis to assume that, even in that private, intensely emotional moment, he would not be able to say these words. He IS, definitely, a loving man - only not very talented at expressing it.

Really well put, stevenedel! That's why I don't think it detracts from the movie, either. When Ennis uses the word "love" with Alma Jr., it shows he has absorbed the lesson, and the expressions that cross his face when he looks out the window are very sad and touching. But the scene isn't as powerful as the closet scene, and the idea that he finally says the words to Jack in that moment, right away, without any hesitation -- but still, tragically too late -- is so so so heartbreaking. And if there's ever any doubt that Ennis is a loving man (not that there is), it vanishes then and there.

And the fact that it's so hard to discern -- that 99.99999999 ... (infinity) percent of moviegoers will never even know it's there -- has the effect of making it seem like it's still a private moment for Ennis.

I don't know that I'd downplay the final scene that much, though. I think the new location of the shirts and the "I swear," and even Ennis' decision to attend the wedding are all pretty dramatically crucial.

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2006, 04:33:06 pm »
Yeah, I definitely WANT to hear Jack say that one in TS1

I will certainly need those smelling salts if I hear it...

:P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:36:22 pm by Daphne7661 »
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

mvansand76

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2006, 07:42:19 am »
I have definitely heard the "Love you", I even tested it by letting my boyfriend watch the scene. I hadn't told him about the discussion surrounding this and asked him if Ennis said anything in this scene, so he watched the whole scene and he said "Yes, he says Love you when he has the shirts up against his face". Then I told him about the discussion and he said "Why wouldn't he say it?". Exactly.

And I have never heard any of those things in any of the tent scenes...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2006, 09:23:14 am »
I love that nonchalant response, mvansand76. You: "Did you hear anything?" Him: "No. ... Well, nothing except him saying 'I love you' when he holds the shirts up to his face.'" Little does he know the intense controversy he's talking about!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2006, 04:57:16 pm »
I have a description of where and when to find Jack's verbal ejaculations in one of my earlier posts.  You can use the find feature on my username to find it.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2006, 09:05:44 pm »
I have a description of where and when to find Jack's verbal ejaculations in one of my earlier posts.  You can use the find feature on my username to find it.

Are you saying that the thread is called Jack's verbal ejaculations? I've gotta read that one!  ::)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."