Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201590 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2006, 06:45:13 pm »
Katherine?
this is a very, very subtle detail that, if noticed, sets up Jack as being immediately savvy and aware of what he himself if hoping for. Once I caught this detail, the scenes leading up to the first tent night were a bit more "set up" by Jack and made me feel Ennis was more innocent, in comparison, than previously viewed.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2006, 07:39:41 pm »
I think you could be right, HerrKaiser! I certainly have always thought he at least gives a smile --  like a nonverbal "Yesssss!" But maybe he's actually saying something, too!

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2006, 07:48:22 pm »
almost no one latches on to this point that I have tried to put forth for months! I was one of the last items of "new things i saw" in the film on screening #15. Having studied this 2 second clip several times, I am struck that indeed Jack mouths a comment to himself.

by the by, chicago is number 1 on all measures!!!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #253 on: October 29, 2006, 06:47:09 pm »
I thought Jack said SOMETHING to himself from the second time I saw the film, but what that might have been, who knows. His lips do move.I had a feeling he mumbled something like omgod.

It's quite possible to have an immediate attraction to someone and not let them know it, hell I did that for months and months.  I think I may have actually mumbled something like Holy Shit, under my breathwhen I first saw my BF roflmao.

Now, this doesn't make Ennis any more innocent then JT at all, and when you look at Ennis after he says the 'you may be a sinner.....' line,  he gives JT a knowing up/down glance. They both knew 'sorta' where it was headed but may not have really believed it.

Both of em were afraid of screwing up what was turnin into a spectacularly good friendship in both book AND film.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
There's no doubt that Ennis loved Jack, had a strong love for him, care about him deeply, felt a connection to him like no other.  I mean, if it were just a "good sex" thing, do you think it could have lasted 20 years?  That I doubt.   But whether he says "I love you" or not in the closet scene is a very interesting question.  I will have look closely and listen too.  I know, in the book it just says he inhaled trying to get some sweet smell of Jack, but there was nothing left... or words to that effect.  I'll get back to ya, after I see that scene again.

R

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2006, 10:40:46 am »
This is not the most exciting of indiscernable moments but I'm interesting in knowing what the radio announcer is saying in the background in the first bar scene, when Alma is doing laundry in the sink, and when Ennis is preparing to go off on the first trip with Jack. Also, when Jack is getting out of the truck in the post-divorce scene. It would be interesting to string this all together and see what it says.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2006, 10:57:33 am »
another "mystery" scene/script item is at the beginning...

When Jack and Ennis are looking at each other outside Agearre's trailer, there is a quick segment, just before Jack is shown shaving, where Jack looks at Ennis, then Jack lowers his head and his hat covers his eyes.

At that moment, Jack's lips move. I believe Jack mumbles "oh my God" or "oh man" to indicate from the get go that Jack is enamoured with Ennis.

Anyone else see this? thanks!

I did take a close look at this scene again, and made sure I had my headphones on (just in case) but my take was that Jack was just moving his lips over his teeth, and then swallowing.

However, I am open to suggestions, and think I'll give it another watch. It's a hardship having to view Jake's performance so closely!  ;)

Karen

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
This is not the most exciting of indiscernable moments but I'm interesting in knowing what the radio announcer is saying in the background in the first bar scene, when Alma is doing laundry in the sink, and when Ennis is preparing to go off on the first trip with Jack. Also, when Jack is getting out of the truck in the post-divorce scene. It would be interesting to string this all together and see what it says.

Somewhere around here Ellemeno transcribed what the radio announcer says when Ennis is preparing to go fishing with Jack (not the first time, though -- the one where he almost forgets the tackle box). She (Elle) interprets it as a homophobic joke.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2006, 04:03:22 pm »
I have been searching for this for over an hour but all I can find are several references to it by ... you!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2006, 07:16:32 pm »
Ellemeno referenced it on July 5, post #122.  Shortly after reading her post I rewatched that scene many time and agree it is a joke, perhaps a gay joke, but it is hard to tell.  And there is no subtitling for the radio announcer either...Doug