Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201569 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2006, 10:18:56 pm »
I thought it was pretty clear, more so that the "Give 'm hell"
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline angry little lawyer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2006, 01:58:43 am »
I saw BBM again recently and tried to be on the look out for some of those "contraversial" moments...I heard C'mere right before Ennis slams Jack into the wall for their reunion kiss....and someone on fan fiction.net suggested that right before Ennis and Jack part so that Ennis can go back upstairs to deal with Alma he tells Jack "later" referring to the fact that they'll be doing more kissing and stuff later. I paid close attention to the reunion scene and sure enough I heard "later". Not sure if I heard it b/c I was listening for it.....I also think what Jack says during SNIT sounds more like "s'alright" than "sorry" but its just so hard to tell... ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:13:47 am by angry little lawyer »
If I take that aspirin....then I took it
-The Wisdom of 12 oz. Mouse

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2006, 02:35:36 am »
It is interesting and difficult to separate out the effects of priming - the pre-expectation of what one will hear. At my first viewing of BBM, when I did not have any preconceived ideas or expectations about the movie, there are some of the controversial lines I heard clear as a bell (s'alright x 3); while other lines I hear only now because my expectation has been primed. I want to believe the closet 'I love you', but have yet to discern it for myself in that scene.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #273 on: December 22, 2006, 02:39:43 am »
I hear him saying, "What are you doing?" (italics mine).

Yes, 'what are you doing'!
I heard that the first time i saw the movie. Of course, it was subtitled so that made it easier for me to 'hear' what they were saying. (and yes the subtitle people in Belgium obviously heard Ennis say 'I'm sorry' too. ;D)

Did you notice that Ennis says exactly the same thing to Cassie when she puts her feet on his lap? Like he can't believe on either occasions that anyone might want to get so physically close to him.

That was in fact the topic of one of first posts i did here on Bettermost.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #274 on: December 22, 2006, 02:44:49 am »
Did you notice that Ennis says exactly the same thing to Cassie when she puts her feet on his lap? Like he can't believe on either occasions that anyone might want to get so physically close to him.

That was in fact the topic of one of first posts i did here on Bettermost.

Good point!  :D   Bookends don't lie.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2006, 03:34:27 am »

Bookends don't lie.

Permission to use this for my sig line for a while, Katherine?  Unless you want to, a course.

So I'm just catching up with this thread for the first time in a long time, and there are all of you asking what I said, but no one asked ME, and there I was probably twiddling my thumbs right when you all were talking about it. 

What I Hear on the Radio:

Jack and Ennis in the Signal bar - I don't have much on that one.  I wrote about it here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4686.msg92120#msg92120

The kitchen radio when Ennis comes home to the lonesome ranch - Yes, about the shopping cart.  I think it's a foreshadowing of Monroe. 

Ennis packing and almost forgetting his creel case - As above: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2401.msg54556#msg54556

Jack arriving, post-divorce - I can't find where I wrote about this before, maybe it was on IMDb.  Yes, something about Little Richard and "they went nuts for it."  Which I interpret as a message that Ennis and Jack don't pay attention to, that out in other parts of the world, effeminate Little Richard (whom I have a recording of singing "I Feel Pretty,") is not just accepted but has fans who go nuts for him.  That there isn't just homophobia in the world, there is acceptance and appreciation too.

Jack leaving, post-divorce - The announcer is saying something about how the temperature is dropping (I don't have the movie with me where I am, to get the words right).  The announcer is describing the weather and Jack's emotional world at the same time.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2006, 03:40:00 am »
Permission to use this for my sig line for a while, Katherine?  Unless you want to, a course.

Of course, Elle! I'd be honored -- you always have the greatest sig lines.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2006, 03:40:13 am »
BTW, watching BBM on HBO the other night, my first time seeing it on a TV, I heard the "F* me, F* me" quite clearly.

BTW BTW, when I had lunch in Lynchburg, Virginia the other day with Lynne and Truman, right across the street from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, I described to them how to hear this indiscernible moment.  

I did not use the F word, but rather simply grunted the sounds for them to hear the cadence, tone, and pitch of what to listen for.  Despite me not even using the F word, I still suddenly realized that Lynne and Truman were sneeking peeks around at our fellow diners to make sure no one else could hear me.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2006, 07:00:26 am »
BTW BTW, when I had lunch in Lynchburg, Virginia the other day with Lynne and Truman, right across the street from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, I described to them how to hear this indiscernible moment.  

I did not use the F word, but rather simply grunted the sounds for them to hear the cadence, tone, and pitch of what to listen for.  Despite me not even using the F word, I still suddenly realized that Lynne and Truman were sneeking peeks around at our fellow diners to make sure no one else could hear me.  :)

:laugh:  :laugh:

Maybe a fellow diner later asked a waitress to bring 'whatever she's having!'

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2006, 11:23:24 am »

:laugh:  :laugh:

Maybe a fellow diner later asked a waitress to bring 'whatever she's having!'

GREAT ONE, Fabienne!!!  :D