Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201574 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2006, 03:04:19 pm »
Since everything he does from ther finding of ther shirts to the end of the movie sasysd exactly that, why doesd he have to SAY it? I don't hear it, bu5t of course I'll listen agaqin to make sure...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2006, 03:13:01 pm »
He doesn't "have to" say it, Julie. In other words, I don't get all excited about seeing it because it confirms something that I think would be otherwise in doubt. I saw the movie my first 12 times without seeing it and had no doubt whatsoever (in fact, I'm in the camp that believes Ennis himself had no doubt, much earlier than the closet scene).

No, I get all excited about it because it's just incredibly sweet and sad. But then, that's why I get all excited about pretty much the whole damn movie. It's incredibly sweet and sad whether you see the ILY or not.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:11:14 am by latjoreme »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2006, 11:59:16 pm »
Well, JakeTwist, all I can say is that I have watched the scene in search of the cylinder and haven't seen it either. But please report back your findings ...

Hii Katherine:  well it is I, JakeTwist, reporting back..  here are my findings:

Cylinder?  ...naw, I don't think that's what Ennis was reaching for, not in his character so soon in the evolution of their relationship.  Besides it doesn't look to me like his hand is reaching that far... IMO.

And I did watch our beloved BBM from start to finish last night, and I replayed Ennis hugging the shirts, and I definitely do see one side of his mouth moving, (fluttering), but that's as far as I can surmise.  Personally I don't think Ennis said ILY into the shirts, I just don't see him saying it to shirts, but that's just IMO.

I gotta go wrap my brain around a real humdinger of an OP that I have been assigned to come up with.... ;D  AND I just won the part of John C. Twist in the C.T. production of Broken Arsed Mountain!  Yeehaw!!!  :)   ;D  :laugh:

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2006, 07:04:54 pm »
Hello All,

I have been away for awhile, busy at work, but wanted to respond.  I apologize for having used the word "cylindrical" or "cylinder" - I was just trying to be polite and not to offend anyone.

Anyway, since nobody else seemed to think I saw what I saw, I have watched BBM many more times (not that I need an excuse to watch it again, mind you).  Something caught my eye which kind of confirms my theory.  Right after Ennis spits and enters Jack, you can see Ennis' right hand reach around and make a rather swift back and forth motion for several moments.  What else could he be doing?  I can't imagine that he was doing that to Jack's "hand"....

Thoughts?

;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:09:00 pm by Daphne7661 »
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2006, 07:11:18 pm »
I have been away for awhile, busy at work, but wanted to respond.  I apologize for having used the word "cylindrical" or "cylinder" - I was just trying to be polite and not to offend anyone.

No need to apologize, Daphne! It was a polite, cute and accurate way to describe it.

As for the swift back-and-forth motion, I haven't seen that. But if so -- wow, they thought of everything in this scene, hunh? I don't have the DVD at the moment, but perhaps I can check YouTube ...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:19 pm »
 ... OK, I'm back. (And BTW, has my computer suddenly gotten speedier, or has YouTube made some improvements? Seems the videos load much faster than they used to.)

Anyway, I can see him reach down there somewhere but can't detect any swift movement except that which involves his whole body. I can only see the top of his arm, though, so his hand could be doing just about anything down there.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2006, 09:48:27 pm »
But he is very wrong in his assumption that people love BBM because of external pressure. I can speak only for myself, but social pressure (or desire to appear unhomophobic) had nothing to do with my reaction.

James Norman just doesn't get it.

ditto the bolding.  found his inclination to believe social pressure plays a part very odd, in fact.  and just for the record, I hated Saving Private Ryan like poison  ;D.

as for the beautiful building blocks, I didn't start to see them until well into my obsession.  it's always been about the whole.  it truly is so much greater than the sum of it's parts that I'm almost in admiration of this dude for having the presence of mind to actually see the parts, and at his very first viewing. 

W

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2006, 12:06:35 am »
If social pressure were the cause of my obsession, why would I be spending all these hours here -- unbeknownst to almost everybody but you guys? As much as I want to show that I'm not not homophobic, I think trying to prove it by spending approximately 16 hours a day for five months reading, writing and thinking about a two-hour movie might be overkill.

I gladly testify on behalf of Brokeback any chance I get, but for the most part I practice my most obsessive behavior on the QT.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2006, 09:13:37 pm »
I gladly testify on behalf of Brokeback any chance I get, but for the most part I practice my most obsessive behavior on the QT.

another ditto 

I don't leave no sargn. roll up this forum every mornin' 'case the husband-service snoops around.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2006, 11:54:46 pm »
I don't leave no sargn. roll up this forum every mornin' 'case the husband-service snoops around.

Me too! No open Windows, don't leave no sign. Eat my supper, breakfast at BetterMost, but leave the monitor screen on Slate, hundred percent. Clear the browsing history every 10 minutes, 'case the husband or sons snoop around.

As I've asked many times before, why am I like this?!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:06:45 am by latjoreme »