Author Topic: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?  (Read 40991 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Whoa - wait a minute.  This just occurred to me - early on on Brokeback, when Jack is going off to the sheep and is obviously pissed that he even has to do that alone and obviously annoyed that the mare has just reared and nearly thrown him, and he and Ennis exchange glances - first Jack, with sort of a "Don't EVEN go there" look, and Ennis trying to look innocent, like he really wasn't thinking "I told you about that mare..."  Then Jack rides off, and Ennis strains to take a good, hard look at him.

That's IT.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
The fireside after the bear incident is definitely when Jack fell in love if he wasn't before.  He's nervous, drinking, alone, wondering what the hell happened to Ennis, then he shows up late, very late.

Jack lets loose of all his anxiety and fear by berating Ennis, just to be struck by his bloody battered friend.  His mood instantly shifts and he moves into caring mode.  He wants to care for Ennis and make him better, offering water, whiskey and an attempt at first aid.

Notice when Jack starts to dab at Ennis' head with the wet bandana.  Ennis didn't act irritated or angry or embarrassed and snatched it out of his hand - which is what I expected - instead he simply takes it from Jack.

I think Ennis fell in love after the Chilean sheep mixup.  All day, cutting sheep, listening to Jack bitch and moan about Aguirre and the damned paint brands, in a very comforting predictable fashion, it must have been music to his ears like the harmonic wasn't.

IMO anyway.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:49:44 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I felt it was that scene where Ennis is talking away and Jack give him that little smile and says that's the most I heard you talk all month, and Ennis offers that's the most I've talked all year and he give Jack that shy little smile.  It opens his face like a flower opening to the sun.  I think that's the moment when they first fall in love.

Victoria, that's a beautiful way to describe Ennis's face in that scene!
Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline j.U.d.E.

I don't know if it's the moment where Ennis falls in love or just realizes something about his feelings towards Jack, but I think it must mean something when after the first tent scene, Ennis coming back (after disappearing into the mountains and not even talking to Jack) he has the guts to just go and stand next to Jack (the "this is nobody's business but ours" - scene). I mean, if he had been disgusted or horrified or completely livid and in total denial about the first tent events, he could have just left and gone home or reported it to Aguirre (in order not to lose his pay) or something. I mean the fact that he is so completely calm about it, all of a sudden - there is the "I'm not queer" "Me neither" dialogue, but I have an impression that they both know that it's a façade for both of them. And we all know the 2nd tent scene follows right after that!

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 04:57:29 pm by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Just to elaborate on my earlier post, I think Ennis was blown away by Jack from the very 1st moment he laid eyes on him. The clue is that when Jack started to walk towards him, he lowered his head and hid his eyes under his hat. Ennis was rather shy, very lonely, and full of fears and neuroses so it is hard to read him, but I think he was amazed by this self-assured, friendly young man who not only possessed a lighter but also a truck and a silver rodeo belt buckle. He was so flummoxed he had to be reminded to give his last name when they introduced each other.

Then, when Jack suggested they go to a bar, Ennis didn't even walk beside Jack, he walked behind. He was further impressed by Jack's rodeo experience and knowledge of the job from having worked on the mtn the previous summer. Jack got him to open up about himself which few people had done before and when he told Jack a few details, Jack was empathetic, which also opened Ennis' eyes. Another thing that the film doesn't show but you have to imagine is the electricity between them. This is conveyed not only by what they did--sneaking looks at each other, making a big show of tying knots and mastering horses--but also what they didn't do--hiding behind their hat brims, carefully not looking at or touching each other.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

This is conveyed not only by what they did--[..]-but also what they didn't do--hiding behind their hat brims, carefully not looking at or touching each other.

Do you have an example?

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
Just to elaborate on my earlier post, I think Ennis was blown away by Jack from the very 1st moment he laid eyes on him. The clue is that when Jack started to walk towards him, he lowered his head and hid his eyes under his hat.

Yeah, I think so too. His reaction is exactly the reaction I have to guys I really like. For some weird reason, I can't look at them directly.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Not looking at example: The prime one is where Ennis is washing and Jack is peeling potatoes, but there are several others, such as when they're both sitting by the fire and they are either staring at the fire or at the whiskey bottle. Not touching each other: One scene that didn't make it into the movie was when they spent the night in Jack's truck before going up the mountain. The screenplay says that Jack slept in the driver's seat while Ennis was awake in the passenger seat, looking very uncomfortable. Also, Jack pours whiskey into Ennis' cup rather than just handing him the bottle. When they do touch, it's exagerated as if there is some pent-up energy. Thus, Jack practically knocks Ennis over after he shoots the deer and Ennis obliges by then knocking Jack over. Of course, there's the tussle scene at the end of the mountain part, where Ennis realizes he's in over his head and slugs Jack.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
Surely the question should be when did you realise you were falling in love with them?  ;D ;) :) :-* :P :angel:
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
Surely the question should be when did you realise you were falling in love with them?  ;D ;) :) :-* :P :angel:

my answer to that would be when I was lying in bed at 5am crying convulsively for the boys.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.