Author Topic: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?  (Read 1000790 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: What's for breakfast/lunch/supper?
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2013, 06:08:12 pm »
Somebody brought fresh figs into my office today. I'd never seen fresh figs before--I had no idea what these things were!  :laugh:

I think I prefer my figs in newtons.  ;D

Jeff, you're such a traditionalist, meat-potato-veg-diced-pears kind of guy! 

You're missing out.  Fresh figs are in season right now and they're wonderful.  Classic pairing with prosciutto, or in a tart with other fruits and almonds, perhaps. 

Earlier this summer, I did homemade pizza on the grill with sliced fresh figs, gorgonzola, arugula, and a drizzle of balsamic.  YUM!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #661 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
Jeff, you're such a traditionalist, meat-potato-veg-diced-pears kind of guy!  

You're missing out.  Fresh figs are in season right now and they're wonderful.  Classic pairing with prosciutto, or in a tart with other fruits and almonds, perhaps.  

But I don't know how to eat them. They're not a Pennsylvania German kind of thing.  :laugh:

Earlier this summer, I did homemade pizza on the grill with sliced fresh figs, gorgonzola, arugula, and a drizzle of balsamic.  YUM!

I don't know what to call that. Maybe a flat-bread kind of thing. But it sure doesn't sound like pizza.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #662 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »
For supper tonight I'm planning on roast beef with mashed potatoes gravy--in the form of a Weight Watchers entree!  :laugh:

I'll supplement with some leftover mixed vegetables--carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower--a slice of whole wheat bread, and probably a small dish of diced pears for dessert.

Supper was quite good, actually. The Weight Watchers entrees are pretty good. FWIW, I find WW's pasta entrees better than Lean Cuisine.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #663 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:19 am »
Somebody brought fresh figs into my office today. I'd never seen fresh figs before--I had no idea what these things were!  :laugh:

:laugh:

I remember when I worked in the supermarket and walked through the produce section to learn the codes used on the produce, I saw some strange shit.

LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #664 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:57 am »
I remember when I worked in the supermarket and walked through the produce section to learn the codes used on the produce, I saw some strange shit.

I think I'm glad I didn't shop where you worked!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #665 on: August 21, 2013, 10:43:33 am »
I think I'm glad I didn't shop where you worked!  :laugh:

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
Supper tonight, a two-egg and cheese omelet, and two turkey sausage patties.

On Friday when I did my weekly grocery shopping, I discovered this hinged, microwavable gizmo for making omelets in a microwave oven. I bought one and tried it out this evening. Works well, and easy to clean up.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #667 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:25 am »
You mean one of those plastic-thingies I guess:

Do the omelettes taste like real ones made in the pan?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:08 am »
A small cast iron pan works well and is easy to clean up, too!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #669 on: September 23, 2013, 09:39:06 am »
You mean one of those plastic-thingies I guess:

Quite similar.

Do the omelettes taste like real ones made in the pan?

Well, I thought it did.

A small cast iron pan works well and is easy to clean up, too!

The trouble with using a frying pan is if you lack the skill to fold over the omelet without it breaking. If you don't have the skill, instead of having an omelet you just have a pile of fried egg and fillings.  ;D  These little pans take care of that for you. Half the egg goes in one side, and half goes in the other.  I have seen special omelet pans for use on the stove top that work essentially the same way, but I'm afraid that I disagree that any piece of stove-top cookware is as easy to clean up as a microwavable dish.