Author Topic: Will you watch the Oscars this year?  (Read 79090 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Will you watch the Oscars this year?
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »
And of course, it all depends if Phoenix actually has a lawyer on retainer.  Some don't.  As I recall, Crispin Glover put on a memorably freaky Letterman show.  No one said squat about his weirdness because the guy was weird.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:41 pm »
And of course, it all depends if Phoenix actually has a lawyer on retainer.  Some don't.  As I recall, Crispin Glover put on a memorably freaky Letterman show.  No one said squat about his weirdness because the guy was weird.

If Phoenix doesn't have a lawyer, that still doesn't invalidate Dana Stevens' reasoning that Stiller wouldn't have risked the libel suit and appearance of gross insensitivity by making fun of his mental illness/addiction/whatever.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »
If Phoenix doesn't have a lawyer, that still doesn't invalidate Dana Stevens' reasoning that Stiller wouldn't have risked the libel suit and appearance of gross insensitivity by making fun of his mental illness/addiction/whatever.

Mental illness, sure.  But being stoned?  Who is responsible for appearing on national television stoned?  I'd say that was Joaquin himself.  At what point do we start holding them responsible for their own actions?  He's not a child and certainly not ignorant.  He knows what he's doing.  So I'd say a libel suit would be a long stretch.