Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 135226 times)

injest

Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:45 pm »
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/perez-hilton-the-way-miss-california-answered-her-question-lost-her-the-crown/21528?nc
LAS VEGAS, Nev. -- Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton may have been crowned Miss USA 2009 on Sunday, but on Monday, it was Miss California Carrie Prejean's answer to a question about same-sex marriage from celebrity blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton that was the night's biggest story.

During the show, Perez asked Carrie, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

VIEW THE PHOTOS: The Latest Star Sightings

"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and in, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," Carrie said to a mix of boos and applause. "No offense to anybody out there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be between a man and a woman."

Carrie's answer to the hot button question cost her the crown - at least according to Perez.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hollywood Blondes

"The way miss California answered her question lost her the crown, without a doubt!" Perez told Access Hollywood after the pageant. "Never before that I'm aware of has a contestant been booed at Miss USA."

Keith Lewis, Co-Executive Director of the Miss California USA and Miss California Teen USA said in statement to Access Hollywood that he respects Carrie's opinion, even if it differs with his.

"I am proud of Carrie Prejean's beauty and placement at the 2009 Miss USA pageant. I support Carrie's right to express her personal beliefs even if they do not coincide with my own," Keith told Access. "I believe the subject of gay marriage deserves a great deal more conversation in order to heal the divide it has created."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Gay & Lesbian Hollywood

PerezHilton.com initially reported that Keith was "personally saddened and hurt" by Carrie's comments. Keith told Access he did not release a statement to the celebrity blogger.

A rep for Shanna Moakler , who inherited the Miss USA title in 1995 when Miss USA Chelsi Smith was crowned Miss Universe, told Perez that she "supports Keith's views 100%."

On Monday morning, Miss California talked to Billy Bush for "The Billy Bush Show" and Access Hollywood. To listen to Billy's interview where Carrie revealed that a member of her family is a gay rights activist, CLICK HERE!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
Gossip Blogger Perez Hilton's Comments About Miss California

Miss California's Response to Perez Hilton

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:40:52 pm »
Miss CA is apparently a fundamentalist Christian.

She is attending San Diego Christian College, a college that was started by Tim LeHeye (of "Left Behind" infamy) and Henry Morris (of the "Genesis Flood") for the express purpose of promoting "biblical" (read "young Earth") creationism in higher education.  Their doctrinal statement:

http://www.sdcc.edu/About.aspx?ID=46

Her opinion - that the Bible condones her words:

It's not about being politically correct, it's about being biblically correct."

A former Ms. California, now a pastor, wrote a bit to dispel Miss CA's ignorance about the Bible:

http://www.psr.edu/news/former-miss-california-defends-same-sex-marriage

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:48:18 pm »
A former Ms. California, now a pastor, wrote a bit to dispel Miss CA's ignorance about the Bible:

http://www.psr.edu/news/former-miss-california-defends-same-sex-marriage

very interesting.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:59 pm »
Perez Hilton is being so classy... ::)

like no one has a right to disagree. Why ask the question? just to make sure to introduce the subject? a photo op? what?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:41:37 pm »
I find two matters disturbing about this incident :

1) the introduction of political material into the qualification process in the selection of the winner. It is clear to me that Perez Hilton ( whose real name is Mario Levandeira - http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/23/web-celeb-25-tech-media_cx_de_06webceleb_0123top_slides_3.html ) used political criteria in order to disqualify a candidate.

2) the subsequent name calling trashing of the loosing candidate by the judge

I listened carefully via the miracle of You Tube to Miss CA's answers, and although she and I disagree on the subject of same sex marriage, I do not see her comments as homophobic. She was merely stating what HER preferences were, not the preferences that she would impose on the rest of us. The intolerant bigot in this sad episode is the Mario Levandeira character.

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:01:26 pm »
I find two matters disturbing about this incident :

1) the introduction of political material into the qualification process in the selection of the winner. It is clear to me that Perez Hilton ( whose real name is Mario Levandeira - http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/23/web-celeb-25-tech-media_cx_de_06webceleb_0123top_slides_3.html ) used political criteria in order to disqualify a candidate.

2) the subsequent name calling trashing of the loosing candidate by the judge

I listened carefully via the miracle of You Tube to Miss CA's answers, and although she and I disagree on the subject of same sex marriage, I do not see her comments as homophobic. She was merely stating what HER preferences were, not the preferences that she would impose on the rest of us. The intolerant bigot in this sad episode is the Mario Levandeira character.

yes, she was very polite. I think it is a gotcha question....if you don't agree, you either have to lie and betray your own principles or tell the truth and get sanctioned.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
Well, she gets thumbs up for being honest.  But if she's in a "scholarship" contest to try to become a woman who represents all  Americans, perhaps she might have been a little more discreet or diplomatic  Her answer was basically double-talk though.  She said she was glad people have the choice (which is uninformed - only a few states grant this and CA is not one of them) but then didn't believe that they should  have a choice.

Beauty queens and their answers  ::)

I don't particularly like Perez either but he asked a question that is currently a hot topic, important to him and many other Americans (this is a Miss USA contest) as a civil rights issue and Miss CA decided being outspoken about her religious beliefs to a gay judge was the better part of valor.  And he judged her accordingly.  Few judges in any contest are unbiased or objective.  This is from another board which I thought relevant:

Look at it this way: she more or less told him he deserved to be treated like a second class citizen to his face. While his reaction may be more than was strictly necessary, surely you admit that many people would react the same way to the same stimulus.

How do you think, say, Rush Limbaugh would react if a beauty queen announced that she thought it was immoral for Christian marriage to be legal? What if she beamed as she received thunderous applause for her statement? I think it is fair to suggest that his reaction would have been even more extreme than Perez's.

If you feel that Perez's reaction was unwarranted, would you feel that the same reaction would have been unwarranted if the beauty queen had made the same statement about Christians instead of homosexuals?

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:01:36 pm »
yes I would.

definitely.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:51:56 pm »
I found that article about the former Miss CA, now a pastor, very enlightening, showing the hypocracy of these people who wave the bible to enhance their cause, but choose to ignore what does not.

Not being familiar or watching the comlete Miss America contest, I am curious to know if ALL of the contestants were asked the same question.

If it is to be an equal competition, if they all were'nt asked it, then it shows a fault in the judging.

I think the question was tacky, but then again, I think all of these beauty contests are tacky, reagardless of what questions are asked or what answers are given.

To make so many headlines about some pretty girl in a beauty contest, making such a statement, is typical of the media today. The would have been more productive making headlines about a statement made  by someone with much significance and credentials.

So she lost the contest......so she had an opinion about same sex marriage.......who the F""K should give a dam.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection