Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136588 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:40:37 am »
I don't think the question was out of line.  I haven't watched that many pageants, but from what I remember, the contestants are always prattling on about what they'd like to accomplish and it's always something grand and political like achieving world peace or ending world hunger, etc...Fielding a question about gay marriage tactfully should have be a piece of cake for someone with alleged poise and grace under pressure.

Next.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 06:42:25 am »
I don't think the question was out of line.  I haven't watched that many pageants, but from what I remember, the contestants are always prattling on about what they'd like to accomplish and it's always something grand and political like achieving world peace or ending world hunger, etc...Fielding a question about gay marriage tactfully should have be a piece of cake for someone with alleged poise and grace under pressure.

Next.

she DID handle it with poise. Hilton just didn't like her answer..this is not about the delivery of the answer.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 10:22:05 am »

Next.

Maybe I started typing in Greek yesterday and didn't realize it?  ::) ???

Please notice the subject of my sentence.  Perhaps she did have poise, in that she didn't stutter, but obviously she did not manage to 'field the question tactfully' (i.e. be diplomatic without actually saying anything to offend one group or the other).

And before I'm lambasted, of course she has a right to her opinion, but homophobic opinions aren't going to win her crowns with gay judges.  She's young yet; she'll figure it out.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:21 am »
Maybe I started typing in Greek yesterday and didn't realize it?  ::) ???

Please notice the subject of my sentence.  Perhaps she did have poise, in that she didn't stutter, but obviously she did not manage to 'field the question tactfully' (i.e. be diplomatic without actually saying anything to offend one group or the other).

And before I'm lambasted, of course she has a right to her opinion, but homophobic opinions aren't going to win her crowns with gay judges.  She's young yet; she'll figure it out.

what exactly did she say that was not tactful in your opinion?

transcript:

“Well,  I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:42:07 am »
what exactly did she say that was not tactful in your opinion?

transcript:

“Well,  I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

Remove the part I highlighted and she'd have been fine.  The first couple of sentences are true, more or less, if you look at it on a state-by-state basis.

tact:

1.  Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:45:40 am »
so merely stating she is for straight marriage only (in answer to a specific question) is tacky because there are people that are not in agreement with it?

since when has cultural or religious differences been 'tacky'?? and if the issue is so sensitive why ask it?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 10:54:40 am »
so merely stating she is for straight marriage only (in answer to a specific question) is tacky because there are people that are not in agreement with it?

since when has cultural or religious differences been 'tacky'?? and if the issue is so sensitive why ask it?

To my knowledge, there is no relationship between the words tact and tacky and I checked one dictionary for the etymology; of course I could be mistaken.

I did not say her answer was tacky; I said it lacked tact, which I defined before.

As for why ask the question?  You'd have to ask the guy who asked it.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 01:25:22 pm »
she DID handle it with poise. Hilton just didn't like her answer..this is not about the delivery of the answer.

She was poised and perfect and even smiled when the crowd applauded her religious ignorance and bigotry.

IMO, how she says something doesn't improve what she is saying.

injest

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 04:22:16 pm »
She was poised and perfect and even smiled when the crowd applauded her religious ignorance and bigotry.

IMO, how she says something doesn't improve what she is saying.

again...is having a differing opinion not allowed?

injest

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »
To my knowledge, there is no relationship between the words tact and tacky and I checked one dictionary for the etymology; of course I could be mistaken.

I did not say her answer was tacky; I said it lacked tact, which I defined before.

As for why ask the question?  You'd have to ask the guy who asked it.

ok, putting the parsing of words aside  ::) ::)

you didn't answer my question as to what exactly she said that was lacking in tact.