Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 137063 times)

injest

Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 04:29:07 pm »
To my knowledge, there is no relationship between the words tact and tacky and I checked one dictionary for the etymology; of course I could be mistaken.

did you seriously? you went to the effort of looking up the word? do you do that for every word you use? you dont' think that is a little overboard for a casual conversation?

I am so glad I never went to one of the meetings, there is simply no way I could ever live up to the impossible standards

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 04:32:31 pm »
ok, putting the parsing of words aside  ::) ::)

you didn't answer my question as to what exactly she said that was lacking in tact.

Remove the part I highlighted and she'd have been fine.  The first couple of sentences are true, more or less, if you look at it on a state-by-state basis.

tact:

1.  Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

I think Lynne answered your question here Jess. If she had missed the one sentence out, it would have been more tactful.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
did you seriously? you went to the effort of looking up the word? do you do that for every word you use? you dont' think that is a little overboard for a casual conversation?

I am so glad I never went to one of the meetings, there is simply no way I could ever live up to the impossible standards

Like me, perhaps Lynne doube checked after you talked about tacky when she mentioned tact. I did that, as I wanted to check my understanding of tact v tacky.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 04:44:07 pm »
again...is having a differing opinion not allowed?

She is trying to represent America.  It was a Miss USA contest.  You tell me if bigotry against a portion of the American population is a good representation of the U.S. and something the judges should reward.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 04:50:10 pm »
Her opinion - that the Bible condones her words:

It's not about being politically correct, it's about being biblically correct."

Well, I think the fundamentalist Miss California and those who applauded her might possibly - nay, probably - benefit from pondering the following passage from the Bible:

"As a golden ring in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman who is without discretion."
Proverbs 11:22

injest

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 05:01:12 pm »
She is trying to represent America.  It was a Miss USA contest.  You tell me if bigotry against a portion of the American population is a good representation of the U.S. and something the judges should reward.

its bigotry to have a differing opinion?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 05:14:24 pm »
its bigotry to have a differing opinion?

You can have a different opinion Jess.  Doesn't mean a differing opinion can't be bigoted.

Let's put her words another way and you tell me if she's bigoted or not.

"I am glad black people have the choice to vote in this country, but I personally, no offense to anyone, think voting should only belong to white people, that's the way I was raised."

She smiles, the crowd applauds.  ::)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 06:32:07 pm »

But if she's in a "scholarship" contest to try to become a woman who represents all Americans,

Look at it this way: she more or less told him he deserved to be treated like a second class citizen to his face.

How do you think, say, Rush Limbaugh would react

1) Beauty pageant winners represent no one but themselves and those who run that particular pageant. Not that I give a hoot, but it appears to me that the "Miss USA" contest is just a cheaper, less luxurious version of "Miss America" - both of which are tacky anachronistic demeaning cattle shows.

2) No, Ms Prejean (CA) did not tell Mr Lavandeira (Hilton) that he was a second class anything, and he amply demonstrated that he is a world class ninny with an IQ in the lower double digits.

Ms Prejean simply stated that for HER a "marriage" was between a man and woman, but she was delighted to live in the USA where people have a CHOICE. That statement rather STRONGLY IMPLIES that she is neutral on whether Lavandeira marries a man or woman or remains single.

I for one would just like to see fewer pictures of Lavandeira, and hear much less of his grating voice.

3) I sincerely doubt that I will ever care how Rush Limbaugh reacts to anything involved in beauty pageants.  :laugh:

It would appear to me that there are those who are bound and determined to demonize Ms Prejean in spite of the facts - willful denial?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »
1) Beauty pageant winners represent no one but themselves and those who run that particular pageant. Not that I give a hoot, but it appears to me that the "Miss USA" contest is just a cheaper, less luxurious version of "Miss America" - both of which are tacky anachronistic demeaning cattle shows.

Yes, so?  She's running on her own - having won an earlier state contest - to be Miss USA.  Be a representative of the USA - on this level.

2) No, Ms Prejean (CA) did not tell Mr Lavandeira (Hilton) that he was a second class anything, and he amply demonstrated that he is a world class ninny with an IQ in the lower double digits.

What do you call telling a gay man that she believes marriage should only be between a man and a woman?  Sounds like she believes gays don't deserve to have a marriage and thus are 2nd class citizens.  Pretty obvious to me.

Ms Prejean simply stated that for HER a "marriage" was between a man and woman, but she was delighted to live in the USA where people have a CHOICE.

Which is a dubious claim considering her response was of a "ninny with an IQ in the lower double digits" since she apparently didn't have a clue that not EVERYONE in the USA has this choice.

That statement rather STRONGLY IMPLIES that she is neutral on whether Lavandeira marries a man or woman or remains single.

This statement strongly implies that while she says one thing, she really believes another.

3) I sincerely doubt that I will ever care how Rush Limbaugh reacts to anything involved in beauty pageants.

But you did get the point, right?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 07:02:42 pm »
1) Yes, so?  She's running on her own - having won an earlier state contest - to be Miss USA.  Be a representative of the USA - on this level.

2) What do you call telling a gay man that she believes marriage should only be between a man and a woman?  Sounds like she believes gays don't deserve to have a marriage and thus are 2nd class citizens.  Pretty obvious to me.

3) Which is a dubious claim considering her response was of a "ninny with an IQ in the lower double digits" since she apparently didn't have a clue that not EVERYONE in the USA has this choice.

1) I am puzzled as to why you continue to conflate an beauty contest with an entire nation. "Miss USA" represents no one but the people who put on, run, or sponsor that pageant.

2) Prejean told Lavandeira that for HER "marriage" is between a man and a woman - I take that to mean, she will not be marrying a woman in the near future. Prejean said nothing about Lavandeira's own choices. Seems glaringly obvious to me.

3) Prejean said that she was glad she lived in the USA where we have a choice (in the marriage matter). We do, there are several states which now allow same sex marriage. She is technically correct, and if Lavandeira wishes to marry someone of his gender, he can use the procedures used by many and journey to one of those states, establish residency, and marry.