Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136594 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2009, 11:28:44 am »

If our busty born-again beauty-queen had said she believed marriage should only be between one woman and one man of the same ethnic background.  Would the conservatives here still be so down on the judge, let's say it's Whoopy Goldberg, who called her bad names as a result?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21:51 pm »
Nude Photos of Carrie Prejean Surface! Biblically Correct?

http://www.towleroad.com/2009/05/miss-california-carrie-prejeans-nude-photos-surface.html

If she's got her chicken cutlets in those photos then those photos were taken after she became Miss California... which means... this is one of those things beauty pageant winners can lose their crown over.  Good luck Miss Bible!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:30 pm »
Latest news: Carrie Prejean released a statement regarding the nude photos:

"On April 19, I chose to answer a question during the 2009 Miss USA pageant in an honest and personal manner that expressed my views of the long-established definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. That answer, and my commitment to stand by my beliefs, has since resulted in attacks on me and my integrity as a woman. We live in a great country; a nation that was built on freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Yet my comments defending traditional marriage have led to intimidation tactics that seek to undermine my reputation and somehow silence me and my beliefs, as if opinion is only a one-way street.

"I am a Christian, and I am a model. Models pose for pictures, including lingerie and swimwear photos. Recently, photos taken of me as a teenager have been released surreptitiously to a tabloid Web site that openly mocks me for my Christian faith. I am not perfect, and I will never claim to be. But these attacks on me and others who speak in defense of traditional marriage are intolerant and offensive. While we may not agree on every issue, we should show respect for others' opinions and not try to silence them through vicious and mean-spirited attacks.

"With that in mind, I will continue to support and defend marriage as the honorable institution it is. I will continue to stand with the overwhelming majority of the American people and the voters of my home state of California. If this whole experience has taught me anything, it is our precious right to speak freely, and how we as Americans can never allow anyone or any group to intimidate or threaten us to keep silent."

In other words "I can pass judgment on you, but don't pass judgment on me."  Whatever.

In any case, with these photos, the Miss USA people must be relieved not to have awarded the title to Prejean.  Whether his question was fair or not, Hilton did them a favor.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:23:53 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2009, 03:15:47 pm »
Donald Trump, who owns the Miss Universe franchise, said on The View this morning, the vote totals indicated Prejean wouldn't have won anyway.

But he is concerned that Prejean is getting all the press and Miss USA isn't.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2009, 03:18:45 pm »

In other words "I can pass judgment on you, but don't pass judgment on me."  Whatever.

Yup Laura, I think that is EXACTLY what she is saying. >:(

She seems to feel people are being intolerant of her for being intolerant towards others. I wonder how many people on the religious right will notice the hypocrisy of that statement. 
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2009, 04:09:02 pm »
The pics apparently are pre-chicken cutlets - and I was right, they do violate her contract for participation in the pageant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/05/carrie-prejean-topless-ph_n_196817.html

Miss California Carrie Prejean topless pictures are making their way to the web, and could cost her the state crown.

In a photo posted on Thedirty.com, a tan brunette in pink underwear with her arms across her chest is seen mugging for the camera. But with the photo, she may be in violation of her contract.

According to the AP:

Pageant spokesman Roger Neal said Tuesday it appears the 21-year-old Prejean has run afoul of several sections of the 12-page contract that prospective contestants were required to sign before competing in the state contest.

The contract contains a clause asking participants whether they have conducted themselves "in accordance with the highest ethical and moral standards" and if they've ever been photographed nude or partially nude.

Prejean has released a statement about the photo seen below, an implicit confirmation that this photo, and others reportedly being shopped around, are indeed of her. Her hair is brown and the photos are from before her pageant-funded breast implants.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2009, 04:37:49 pm »
Standing Up To Miss California

By Rabbi Denise L. Eger

The National Organization for Marriage is acting like if Miss California cannot be Miss USA, then she will be the new Queen Esther. But Carrie Prejean is neither one.

We know Miss USA types but, as a rabbi, to show how wrong this allusion is, I must tell you about Queen Esther. She is a brave biblical figure from thousands of years ago. Orphaned and raised by her uncle, she rose against all odds, to be the king of Persia's favored wife in a time when Persians despised Jews.

At risk of her own life she came out to the king to expose a plot against all Jews. Even her uncle asked her to risk her own life because she was born and raised to the status of queen "for such a time as this." Because of her bravery, she and all her people were spared from becoming the victims of a grab for power.

So in today's real life story, who is Queen Esther? Who are the victims?

Carrie Prejean and the National Organization for Marriage feel they are the victims because of the outcry when Carrie came out and said, "In my country and in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman - no offense to anyone out there..."

But offence IS taken when these beliefs are the backbone of anti-gay legislation. Offense IS taken when victimization of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people is ongoing.

* It is gay and lesbian couples and families who do not have equal protection under the law to marry the person they love who are the victims.
* It is transgender people who are targeted for brutal beatings and murders such as Angie Zapata in Colorado who are the victims.
* It is every child in our public school who is bullied to the point of suicide with taunts of "you're so gay" who are the victims.
* It is the foster children who are denied a permanent home because gay couples are barred from adopting in state after state who are the victims.
* It is the parents and family of gay people who watch their loved ones suffer persecution and discrimination on the job who are the victims.

In America we have a separation of church and state. Churches and synagogues do not control civil marriage. Conservative people of faith remain free to practice their religion--and even their prejudices. They are not forced to marry anyone in their congregation.

Our founding fathers were wise when they made sure that no religion was the official religion of the United States. They separated religion from civil law. Carrie and National Organization for Marriage want to be viewed as the victims but they are among those who plot against marginalized people who have been forced to live in fear and silence.

Carrie and National Organization for Marriage claim that they are the victims and that Carrie lost the pageant for her beliefs. But one judge, Alicia Jacobs, spoke out afterwards and blogged:

Could Miss California have answered her question in a more sensitive manner? Yes, I believe she could have and she probably should have. Interestingly, her sister is a gay rights activist in the military...go figure? I do not fault her for her beliefs...I fault her for her complete lack of social grace.

Esther spoke up for the underdog and her family. Esther spoke up for justice at the risk of her own life. So if we are to look to Queen Esther, we must all speak out to expose the mass of misinformation about marriage and gay families. There is no threat to straight marriage--only equal opportunity for every person to marry the one they love.

Is Miss Carrie Queen Esther?

I think not.

Are we all called to be like Queen Esther and speak out for fairness and truth "in such a time as this"?

I think so.

Rabbi Denise L. Eger is the founding Rabbi of Congregation Kol Ami in West Hollywood, CA. She is a founding steering committee member of California Faith for Equality and the President of the Pacific Association of Reform Rabbis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-denise-eger/standing-up-to-miss-calif_b_195383.html

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
Yeah, well tell THAT to Rush Limbaugh and he'll be back on drugs in a flash, lol!

Won't that be fun?? He's intolerable now, I can't imagine what he'd be like high.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »
She looks like she had quite nice boobies.. why did she need impants I wonder?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2009, 05:16:58 pm »
She looks like she had quite nice boobies.. why did she need impants I wonder?

proportion, apparently.  So that her 34 inch hips would be matched by newly rounded 34 inch Barbie chest.