Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 137042 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:05 pm »
1) I don't know, but I do  think that there are groups of people who are assuming a great deal about her, with few facts, in order to demonize her. As I said, I am giving her, because of her qualified statements, a small benefit of the doubt.

Well she has come out several times and said she was just being honest, and so I have no reason to doubt her honesty and thus the fact that she is indeed, a bigot.

2) The question assumes that they understand that we are talking about "rights", they genuinely may not understand this, and may upon understanding change their minds. But, the tactics and outbursts of people like Lavandeira make this process MUCH more difficult.

It already is a hard process Bill.  She doesn't have any reasonable understanding of why she believes what she believes.  They are all based on her religious beliefs - which, as that pastor pointed out - are already skewed.  Her brand of religion teaches her that gay people are abominations and thus are not 'normal' people.  Thus, she feels that only what is normal is what should be allowed.

This isn't anything you can reason with.  She has to make the decision to overcome her learned bigotry or she will continue to hold onto these beliefs, illogical though they are.

injest

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 11:40:42 pm »
she has a right to her beliefs. You can disagree that doesnt' make HER a bigot...that makes YOU intolerant.

injest

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:25 am »
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Main Entry: big·ot 
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I dont see a lot of hatred or intolerance in her comments. She merely stated what SHE believes...she made it clear IMO that she was talking for her own circle.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 09:19:25 am »
I would not call her a bigot. Its more that she believes what she has been taught, and is honest enough to be honest about it.

In the description of bigot...it mentions "hatred" and "intollerance".....from what I can see she has not mentioned or acted with either.

There are many subjects that people have formed an opinion of,   because they believe in what they have been taught or what they have read, from flying saucers, evolution or whether white bread is better than brown bread.

Whether she learnt it from the bible, or read it in a dietry book she like most of us form an opinion and believe it, and we state our belief if we are asked, just like she did.

It doesnt make her a bigot.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 01:44:05 pm »
she has a right to her beliefs. You can disagree that doesnt' make HER a bigot...that makes YOU intolerant.

Yes.  She can believe whatever she likes.  But sorry Jess her religious beliefs do make her a bigot because they're about keeping other people from having their civil rights. 

You need to ask yourself why she doesn't think gay people should get married.

Yes, it makes me intolerant.  No one should tolerate bigotry.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 01:49:26 pm »
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

I dont see a lot of hatred or intolerance in her comments.

OK, but I sure did.  So did Perez.  She doesn't have to go up there ranting and raving like a KKK Grand Dragon to say just as intolerant comments.

She merely stated what SHE believes...she made it clear IMO that she was talking for her own circle.

She didn't make it clear to me, Jess.  She said "country".  So you can go with Bill and believe she 'misspoke', but I don't have to believe that.

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
[/b]

This fits Miss CA very well.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 01:58:24 pm »
I would not call her a bigot. Its more that she believes what she has been taught, and is honest enough to be honest about it.

In the description of bigot...it mentions "hatred" and "intollerance".....from what I can see she has not mentioned or acted with either.

There are many subjects that people have formed an opinion of,   because they believe in what they have been taught or what they have read, from flying saucers, evolution or whether white bread is better than brown bread.

Whether she learnt it from the bible, or read it in a dietry book she like most of us form an opinion and believe it, and we state our belief if we are asked, just like she did.

It doesnt make her a bigot.

I'm afraid it does, Katie.  If someone sticks to their beliefs about another group in society based on nothing more reasonable or logical than what has been told to them in their religious texts or family stories, without actually making their decision based on the reality of that group, then what can one conclude that she is - per Jess' printed definition of the word 'bigot' - that despite being an adult with full mental capacities, and the fact that gay people deserve equal rights - she is "obstinately devoted" to her own prejudices.

So back and read my post where I compared her opinion on gay marriage - a civil right - to voting rights for black people - another civil right - and then come back and tell me if you still think her opinion is not bigoted.

injest

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 02:26:44 pm »
I'm afraid it does, Katie.  If someone sticks to their beliefs about another group in society based on nothing more reasonable or logical than what has been told to them in their religious texts or family stories, without actually making their decision based on the reality of that group, then what can one conclude that she is - per Jess' printed definition of the word 'bigot' - that despite being an adult with full mental capacities, and the fact that gay people deserve equal rights - she is "obstinately devoted" to her own prejudices.

So back and read my post where I compared her opinion on gay marriage - a civil right - to voting rights for black people - another civil right - and then come back and tell me if you still think her opinion is not bigoted.

I read it. I still dont' consider her a bigot, I consider her honest and forthright.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
I read it. I still dont' consider her a bigot, I consider her honest and forthright.

You can be an honest and forthright bigot, Jess.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
For goodness sake.  ::) She's not a bigot for expressing her opinion on an exicitable topic.  It may not be a opinion that everyone shares (not even every gay person is pro gay marriage).  She was asked what she thought about the subject and gave her answer in an articulate and respectful manner.  What she said in no way makes her a bigot.

The response/reaction of the judge, however, was completely out of line and damaged the fight for gay acceptance in the public mainstream.  she said nothing that warrented his childish tantrum and foul mouthed, acerbic reaction.  A simple, 'we disagree' would have been sufficient.   

How do you figure?  If she said the same thing about black people would you still think she wasn't being a bigot?

It's just that simple.  Replace gay people with blacks or Jews or any ethnicity of your choice and let me know what you think.

No one is a bigot for honestly expressing their opinions.  But their opinions can certainly make them a bigot.