Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 106865 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:31 am »
Well, unfortunately it's true.  Willie sings that he "ain't goin' down on Brokeback Mountain... That shit ain't right".

:-\

You can hear Willie's version of the song on this site if you want:  
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/redletter/2009/08/willie-nelson-goes-both-ways-o.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:36:36 pm by sfericsf »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 02:58:04 am »
      There is a site where you can purchase the album, or just those songs.   His version is the same as the one on the top.

There is a comment section, and you can put your thoughts there.  I  did for sure.  What a hypocrite.  Trying to get
paid from both sides of the fence...

Beautiful mind

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »
Definitely hippocrite is the best way to describe him Janice!!  >:(

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 03:42:44 pm »
I agree. I always liked him but anymore it is like he'll do anything for a buck.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 12:58:05 am »
Wow, this really is terrible. :(  Somehow I missed this thread until now.  I agree that it feels like a betrayal and... it absolutely feels like he's trying to cash in on both sides of the fence.  I'm actually kind of shocked that Willie Nelson would sing something that crass and negative.  I guess I don't know all that much about him, but somehow it's not something I would have expected from him at all.

:(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:03 am »
Its a joke.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:18 am »
The video contains no actual video footage; only an image of a ketchup spill that resembles a blood-spattered wall.  

Co-author Wynn Varble described the song as being "all in fun."  Here's a fun fiction illustration of a few rednecks putting what "ain't right" right:

Striped Wall has a horribly graphic closeup from that scene (which I'm not going to post here), at http://www.stripedwall.com/movies/Brokeback/brokebackmtn_3564.jpg  You might want to check that one out; it's a real-knee-slapper.  Especially in its full size.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:05:21 am by Marge_Innavera »

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:03 am »
The YouTube version doesn't have any video -- just an image of smeared ketchup that looks like a blood-spattered wall.

Yep, it's a joke all right.  As funny as any image of a gay man after being beaten to death that I've ever seen.

That's an interesting interpretation. Having seen a few blood splattered surfaces in my day, I have to disagree. I see ketchup, and wish I had some fries to go with it.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 11:19:14 am »
The video contains no footage of Nelson singing; only an image of a ketchup spill that resembles a blood-spattered wall.  Varble has described the song as being "all in fun."

Co-author Wynn Varble described the song as being "all in fun."  Here's a fun fiction illustration of a few rednecks putting what "ain't right" right:

Striped Wall has a horribly graphic closeup from that scene (which I'm not going to post here), at http://www.stripedwall.com/movies/Brokeback/brokebackmtn_3564.jpg  You might want to check that one out; it's a real-knee-slapper.  Especially in its full size.

((((Jack)))))

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 11:28:52 am »
((((Jack)))))

Right.   :(

The graphic image I later found kinda takes the 'fun' out of that song, which apparently a few people found amusing.