Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90898 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #290 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »
Can I just say? Not only am I left leaning, I'm an actual mod. I consider myself close friends with some of the mods, and at least casual friends with all of them. I also make some effort to stay within the rules. Yet I've had mods ask me to edit my posts on a number of occasions.

When that happens, I've always just complied. My posted words are not precious nuggets of gold, much as I'd sometimes like to think so,  ;D and it's not that big a deal to change them to avoid hurt feelings or additional conflict.

This is not something that only happens to some specific group of people. It's not based on politics, viewpoints, or personal likes and dislikes. It's about volunteer people doing their best to keep posts civil so that we can function as a community.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »
I wasn't going to post on this thread again, but reading the disparaging remarks and complaints by some about the Mod's and what they do, while not surprising seeing who posting those comments, prompted me to share a little of my experience. In the few instances I have communicated with a Mod I have found each of them to be completely fair and a class act. I know quite well they have bent over backwards to be fair and accommodating to those so called conservatives with whom I and others have had a conflict. That someone would turn on and attack Mod's who have gone out of their way to accommodate them is unfair and IMO vicious.

:-* {{{ IAN }}}  :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:05 pm »
Maybe my "ghetto" is showing, but one of the problems I have with the whole "attack" concept is that I don't believe that anything anybody can type on an Internet message board can be defined as an "attack." Attacks are made of flesh and blood and bone and bricks and bullets and blades. Anything less is just talk. Words can't actually hurt me. The worst they can do is make me think that the speaker is an ass.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole "personal attack" concept is about as harmful as a game of patty-cake. More personal injury is done daily by kids who kick sand in other kids' faces.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2009, 11:44:33 pm »

Internet message boards belong to the people who start them.  So membership is a privilege, not a right, and the owner is under no obligation to respect or tolerate all opinions and viewpoints.  Luckily, members here are allowed to complain about how this place is run.  I have certainly been critical, very critical, of the way Bettermost is run.  (So some of the liberals around here might think I’m a ‘tard, just like some of the conservatives do.   :P )  I’m one of those people who said that the “no personal attacks” rule was inadequate.  And I did this a long time before the election season got underway, and my reasons for voicing this complaint had nothing do to with party politics.  So if the rules here have changed in such a way as to allow mods more flexibility in dealing with incivility, then that’s fine with me.  If they use their discretion in ways that annoy me too much, I always have the option of going someplace else.  But I trust most of them to try to be fair to me and others.  I realize that they don’t see everything that I do, or necessarily interpret what they do see in the same way that I would, so I accept that if things aren’t going the way I like, then it’s up to me to say something.

Very eloquently and succinctly expressed, Gary. Thank you.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2009, 12:09:46 am »

Some exodus.  As Inigo Montoya says in The Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."  Ah, Mandy Patinkin.

What exodus?

All those people still come on here.  One can't post, but they all still come on here.

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #295 on: August 04, 2009, 12:22:02 am »
I believe the Androphile issue caused as much division as the politics thread.
Maybe more.

retropian

« Reply #296 on: August 04, 2009, 12:36:36 am »

That's very kind of you, Ian.  And right after I went and reduced the height of the image in your sig line too.  :)  (We treat everyone the same way on that, when we notice.)

Oh no, that's totally alright. I didn't know how to reduce the size myself, so I was lazy and figured it would get done for me! LOL!

retropian

« Reply #297 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:50 am »
If you think the 'personal attack' rule is bullshit, then how come you report what you consider personal attacks on you to the mods?

Some people can dish it out but sure can't take it.
Then, when they feel they have been attacked, they turn into crybabies.

So true! I comment privately to someone a while ago, they come drop a trollish bomb on a thread and then hide behind the Mod's skirts when called out on their BS.

I really don't care what people are talking about on that other 'site' any longer.

I just hope we are giving those there enough to talk about, cause they sure don't seem
to be satisfied there, since they continue to come on here so much.

Yup. That's an Exodus fer sher, you betcha, also. ;D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #298 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:15 am »
Thread locked pending poor Roland having to figure out how to deal with this.  He has better things to do with his time, but no, he's going to wind up dealing with cranky rants about past crap.

If anyone felt like looking over their own posts and seeing where they could moderate their own words to sound more civil, I'm sure he would be much obliged.'

Edit by the Sheriff: I've deleted the last two posts that caused the Administrator to step in. I'm leaving the thread locked (for now) as the subject of this thread doesn't appear to be developping into anything but poorly thought out "crap".

"Anything Goes" doesn't mean attacking by subterfuge. This forum has been around for years and never before has anyone abused the meaning of it's intent as has been the case of late.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:26:55 am by Sheriff Roland »