Author Topic: Like old times  (Read 3172 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Like old times
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
I also hang out on secularist/freethinker/atheist board and though I apparently missed it, someone in the Media and Popular Culture section posted a thread about 'Brokeback Mountain' and what did we all think?

I just found it tonight and find myself defending BBM and making replies to comments like "What kind of accent was Heath Ledger going for?  People in Wyoming don't have accents." and "I couldn't hardly understand him" and of course, the old "I couldn't really deal with the 'infidelity' thing..."  ::)

*sigh*

Like old times...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Like old times
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:00:09 pm »
Dontcha hate that?

::)

I frequent a couple of non-movie related forums too, and have been right there with ya defending the daylights out of our baby more times than I'd care to admit.  So oftentimes, it's the old "It was good and all, but I don't see what the big hairy deal is."  I think I hate that one more than the ones that people who flat out didn't like it/get it come up with.

No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:58:40 pm »
I just have to let the "I don't get it" comments go. My response is usually "Ohhh, I'm so sorry for you-you are missing something phenomenal"

Roux

O0

Heathen

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:06:43 pm »
I just have to let the "I don't get it" comments go. My response is usually "Ohhh, I'm so sorry for you-you are missing something phenomenal"

Ooh.  GOOD call.  I do believe I'll probably be using that one in the not so distant future...   ;D
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:56:03 pm »

Roux

O0

Excellent response!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:05:37 pm »

Roux

O0

RouxB, you go, girl!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:29:48 pm »

Roux

O0
thank's for giving me the perfect reply  :)

Ooh.  GOOD call.  I do believe I'll probably be using that one in the not so distant future...   ;D
yeah, me too. In addition I'll print the article on Brokeback Fever Leslie wrote a couple of months ago. Maybe that'll help explain a few things to 'non believers'
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline cricket99999

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:16:37 pm »
Hey del; I too am a member at II, though I haven't been in ages.  I remember that thread you mention.  I remember making a couple very brief posts on the BBM thread last time I was at those boards. 

I left those boards to spend my limited time where-ever the movie's discussion was most enlightening... and you're right, it wasn't there.         

Offline cricket99999

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 06:55:29 pm »
I just peeked in there, and it's not the same thread I remember.  The one I'm remembering was older, from last winter.  It's not the same thread, but it might as well be...  I used to think the Infidels' discussions on *any* topic were informative/intelligent/enlightening.  Not this one.  Reminds me why I quit reading about the film anywhere but at Bettermost and similar sites.     

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:40:07 pm »
LOL.  I know, dumbass-mule comments are certainly frustrating.  But, I have to say... I find it endlessly amusing when people make stupid comments to BetterMostians and have no idea who they're tangling with!  They certainly have no idea how bad it could get if they really wanted to pick a fight about Brokeback.  I feel like all of these months here and on TOB have been something like grooming for "real-life" arguments and debates about Brokeback.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie