Author Topic: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17  (Read 84337 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: P.O. Boxes, Mailboxes and the No. 17
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2007, 10:32:55 pm »
I still find none of this even semi-convincing.

I think Mr. Twist could probably surmise that if Jack always talked about bringing Ennis up to the ranch, and then Ennis shows up to collect the ashes, that Ennis was not ignorant of Jack's desire that they live together. And in any case, he knows that Jack evidently for years held hopes that Ennis would do it, then suddenly switched to talking about another fella -- suggesting that Jack's hopes had fallen through.

It's pretty clear from his demeanor that John Twist thinks he knows the exact nature of Jack and Ennis's connection--and we know that he's correct in surmising that Ennis was Jack's homosexual lover.

But it still seems to me that any impulse on his part to punish Ennis for supposedly failing Jack would have to grow out of real love for his son, and this brings me back to the behavior, the comments about none of Jack's plans working out, the spitting, which still to me shows nothing but contempt for Jack--and implicitly for Ennis and for Ennis and Jack's relationship.

Sue me for once again allowing the story to color a movie discussion  ;D , but this is the man who urinated on his own child.  :P

But we do know that Jack asked Ennis to ranch up.

Yes, but what we know about Ennis and Jack is irrelevant for understanding John Twist's motivations. What matters is what his character knows--or thinks he knows--about Ennis and Jack.

He (Jack) may not have mentioned LF specifically, but I don't think it's necessary for him to have done so in order for OMT to realize that Ennis let Jack down. Even if Jack never mentioned LF and therefore OMT is wrongly assuming that he had, that wouldn't affect the plausibility of the theory, because it's OMT's perceptions that are important to it, not reality.

Right! But in the end the plausibilty of the theory is affected by what I have to regard as a serious and overly romanticized misreading of John Twist's character.

I think he wanted Jack home. It was probably a way of showing his love and his pain over losing him.

I'm sorry, Natali, but I have to disagree with you, too. I see no love here--not in light of that comment that Jack "thought he was too damned special to be buried in the family plot," and the tone with which that comment is made.

We see nothing to indicate that John Twist loved his son, only that he was what Annie Proulx describes, a hard-bitten man with the need to be the stud duck in the pond (remember, the term derives from Annie's description of John Twist, not of Jack's father-in-law).

The whole ashes business is nothing but his final act of power over the son of whom he was contemptuous. And that's sad, really; really sad.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2007, 01:59:39 am »
I still find none of this even semi-convincing.

Jeff, I'll have to say, I love seeing a post from you, even when it opens like that!  :laugh:

It's pretty clear from his demeanor that John Twist thinks he knows the exact nature of Jack and Ennis's connection--and we know that he's correct in surmising that Ennis was Jack's homosexual lover.

Agreed.

But it still seems to me that any impulse on his part to punish Ennis for supposedly failing Jack would have to grow out of real love for his son,

Yes, the way I've laid it out. It's not inconceivable that OMT could want to punish Ennis even if he didn't love his son. Sometimes SOBs are like that. But yes, the theory I described calls for him loving his son and punishing Ennis for letting him down.

and this brings me back to the behavior, the comments about none of Jack's plans working out, the spitting, which still to me shows nothing but contempt for Jack--and implicitly for Ennis and for Ennis and Jack's relationship.

Well, none of Jack's plans DID work out. You don't have to feel contemptuous of him to think that. And the spitting could as easily be interpreted as contempt for Ennis. But I see nothing in his behavior that indicates disapproval of Ennis and Jack's relationship.

Sue me for once again allowing the story to color a movie discussion  ;D , but this is the man who urinated on his own child.  :P

OK, but in the story Mrs. Twist is portrayed differently, too: "stout [!] and careful in her movements as though recovering from an operation ... He couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them." In the movie, Mrs. Twist's empathy is the driving force behind a heartbreakingly poignant scene. In the story, she barely passes as a sympathetic character.

And while we're on the subject of the story. What's the first thing OMT says when he starts complaining about Jack? Is it "Jack shamed the family by not being a proper sort of husband" or "Jack broke the laws of Nature"? No. It's "I can't get no help out here." Selfish, yes. But OMT's need for help with licking the ranch into shape overshadows his disapproval of Jack's plans for providing that help, even though they include leaving his wife to live with another man.

Yes, but what we know about Ennis and Jack is irrelevant for understanding John Twist's motivations. What matters is what his character knows--or thinks he knows--about Ennis and Jack.

Absolutely!

Right! But in the end the plausibilty of the theory is affected by what I have to regard as a serious and overly romanticized misreading of John Twist's character.

Overly romanticized? Now you're going too far!  :laugh: I'm not saying he's the Messiah. I simply don't think OMT is a figure of pure evil. And I don't think he openly displays homophobia. I do think he's an SOB.

May I suggest, Jeff and Natali and anyone else interested, that we move this discussion over to the "Ennis and Old Man Twist" thread, which Amanda thoughtfully bumped for this very purpose? I could discuss OMT all night, but I'll admit he doesn't have much to do with mailboxes or the No. 17 ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2007, 02:35:01 pm »
Yes, the way I've laid it out. It's not inconceivable that OMT could want to punish Ennis even if he didn't love his son. Sometimes SOBs are like that. But yes, the theory I described calls for him loving his son and punishing Ennis for letting him down.

And it's also true that grieving people can lash out irrationally and indiscriminately.

Well, none of Jack's plans DID work out. You don't have to feel contemptuous of him to think that. And the spitting could as easily be interpreted as contempt for Ennis. But I see nothing in his behavior that indicates disapproval of Ennis and Jack's relationship.

Well, I might vote for the coldness of his demeanor as indicating his disapproval, but we don't really see anything that indicates approval, either, do we?

OK, but in the story Mrs. Twist is portrayed differently, too: "stout [!] and careful in her movements as though recovering from an operation ... He couldn't see much of Jack in either one of them." In the movie, Mrs. Twist's empathy is the driving force behind a heartbreakingly poignant scene. In the story, she barely passes as a sympathetic character.

Indeed, yes!

And while we're on the subject of the story. What's the first thing OMT says when he starts complaining about Jack? Is it "Jack shamed the family by not being a proper sort of husband" or "Jack broke the laws of Nature"? No. It's "I can't get no help out here." Selfish, yes. But OMT's need for help with licking the ranch into shape overshadows his disapproval of Jack's plans for providing that help, even though they include leaving his wife to live with another man.

True, though I have to wonder how he would have reacted if they ever had built that cabin for the two of them to live in.

Overly romanticized? Now you're going too far!  :laugh: I'm not saying he's the Messiah. I simply don't think OMT is a figure of pure evil. And I don't think he openly displays homophobia. I do think he's an SOB.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I thought he was necessarily "pure evil," either, but he is a hard, mean man, with a need to be the stud duck in the pond, and he does not love his son. And any man who would urinate on a child to teach him a lesson needs to learn a lesson himself--on the business end of a bull whip.  ;D

May I suggest, Jeff and Natali and anyone else interested, that we move this discussion over to the "Ennis and Old Man Twist" thread, which Amanda thoughtfully bumped for this very purpose? I could discuss OMT all night, but I'll admit he doesn't have much to do with mailboxes or the No. 17 ...

Well, yeah, though I think I've pretty much said all I have to say on this theory of John Twist's motivation. Any more and I'll probably just be repeating myself. I have already in this post.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2007, 03:18:36 pm »
And it's also true that grieving people can lash out irrationally and indiscriminately.

Yup.

Well, I might vote for the coldness of his demeanor as indicating his disapproval, but we don't really see anything that indicates approval, either, do we?

Nope. I agree he shows disapproval -- just not the kind of disapproval Ennis and viewers might have expected. That is, it evidently isn't disapproval of Jack planning to live with another man so much as Jack failing to follow through on the plan.

True, though I have to wonder how he would have reacted if they ever had built that cabin for the two of them to live in.

Well, I can't see him throwing them a housewarming party.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I thought he was necessarily "pure evil," either, but he is a hard, mean man, with a need to be the stud duck in the pond, and he does not love his son. And any man who would urinate on a child to teach him a lesson needs to learn a lesson himself--on the business end of a bull whip.  ;D

Agreed, regarding story-OMT. I think story-OMT and film-OMT are as different as the story and film versions of various other characters.

Well, yeah, though I think I've pretty much said all I have to say on this theory of John Twist's motivation. Any more and I'll probably just be repeating myself. I have already in this post.  :-\

At this point, Jeff, there's probably nothing either of us could say about the movie that we haven't said somewhere before, hunh?  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2007, 07:21:21 pm »
Well, I can't see him throwing them a housewarming party.

How 'bout a Tupperware party?  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2007, 10:28:11 pm »
At this point, Jeff, there's probably nothing either of us could say about the movie that we haven't said somewhere before, hunh?  ;D
Don't be so sure! I just saw the movie for the first time in a long while in Bay City, and I honestly saw quite a few things that I hadn't seen before or had forgotten about. Like, I noticed several times where Jack appears with a bucket. And, you know what? It struck me that the two paper bags and the buckets are THE SAME. That was like a thunderbolt.

So, I think we should all plan to see BBM on the big screen way out in the middle of nowhere, every once in a while. And, to that end, may I direct you to the graphic at the bottom of this post?! BBM big and HD, in Colorado, this May. You and me, babe, how about it??!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2007, 08:43:01 pm »
It struck me that the two paper bags and the buckets are THE SAME. That was like a thunderbolt.

Hey Lee!  This is a really interesting observation, but could you explain a little more what you mean by the bags and the buckets being the same?  They may function as bookends, but do you see them as representing the same thing too?

I agree he shows disapproval -- just not the kind of disapproval Ennis and viewers might have expected. That is, it evidently isn't disapproval of Jack planning to live with another man so much as Jack failing to follow through on the plan.

I think maybe Jack's inability to follow through with plans and promises (whether or not this inability is always Jack's fault or entirely within his control) must be a major frustration for OMT.  I mean the way OMT complains about Jack's ideas "never coming to pass" is really forceful.  It's one of the lines that's really, really well-delivered in this scene.  There's a lot of emphasis put on this aspect of OMT's disapproval of Jack.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2007, 09:46:46 pm »
I don't fully understand it myself but I'll try to explain. I noticed several more scenes where Jack was shown in connection with a bucket. And so the bucket and the paper bags are associated with Jack. The buckets and paper bags are receptacles--receiving things in balance with acting things in a yin/yang way. Jack and Ennis were a complementary pair in their passive/active roles. Also the buckets and bags were containers, kind of a vessel for the energy of life, the life forces. When I try to articulate these ideas, I am at a loss for words, English words anyway, and I find myself resorting to the language in the Tao te Ching.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2007, 12:37:31 pm »
I thought y'all might like to see a picture of a mailbox I spotted while riding thru Ten Sleep Canyon just southwest  of Brokenback Mountain:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2007, 03:40:38 pm »
I thought this would be a good place to pop in and say Happy 7th day of the 7th month of the 7th year of this century!! I am planning to return to this thread on my birthday on the 17th!!