Author Topic: Here we go again - after the revolution - women pushed back into the kitchen  (Read 38175 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

As usual, men want women helping them overthrown an oppressive government, and then what do they get for their pains from these men who stood by their side?

CAIRO - Women hoping to extend their rights in post-revolutionary Egypt were faced with a harsh reality Tuesday when a mob of angry men beat and sexually assaulted marchers calling for political and social equality, witnesses said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110317/wl_time/08599205943500

I never get such ingratitude.  Do these men think they owe women nothing for their help?  That now that EVERYone's oppressor is gone, they want to take the reins and oppress someone else?  These men obviously DON'T think much of women.  What did they think these women were out in the streets for?  Obviously JUST to help the men, because men count, women don't.   ::) ::) ::)  It makes me so incredibly angry.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAHAAAA!!!

This is just too ironic. These "heroes" are finally starting to show their true colors.

I wonder what other little surprises the lauded new Egypt will have in store??
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

pnwDUDE

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

As usual, men want women helping them overthrown an oppressive government, and then what do they get for their pains from these men who stood by their side?

CAIRO - Women hoping to extend their rights in post-revolutionary Egypt were faced with a harsh reality Tuesday when a mob of angry men beat and sexually assaulted marchers calling for political and social equality, witnesses said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110317/wl_time/08599205943500

I never get such ingratitude.  Do these men think they owe women nothing for their help?  That now that EVERYone's oppressor is gone, they want to take the reins and oppress someone else?  These men obviously DON'T think much of women.  What did they think these women were out in the streets for?  Obviously JUST to help the men, because men count, women don't.   ::) ::) ::)  It makes me so incredibly angry.

Egypt is an ISLAMIC country and there women don't count. But it is such a peaceful religion.............. ::)

Brad

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Egypt is an ISLAMIC country and there women don't count. But it is such a peaceful religion.............. ::)

Brad
Haven´t you learned anything from recent events? Islam is not "one" religion, there are many branches of Islam that are pretty different from one another.
I´ve often heard the argument that Muslims don´t want democracy, for example. Well, look at what have happened. Muslims fighting in Egypt - Tunisia - and now Lybia for....democracy.

It´s some of the most radical Muslim groups that are dangerous - the situation in Egypt is highly volatile right now. Let´s hope that not the military or the radical group (the brotherhood of Islam) will kidnap this revolution.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:34:16 am by Buffymon »

Offline delalluvia

Brad

WHAT?  You're calling George Dubya a liar?!?!  ;)

Anyway, this isn't just an Islamic or Egyptian thing, this happened in the US and in Britain as well, but about one century ago and as occasional stories in the news even today will tell you here in the US, when women join - or attempt to join - previously all-male organizations, whether the fire departments, police or military, coal mining or what have you, they run into this same sort of intimidation 'gauntlet' they're forced to run by men with teeny brains and apparently even smaller balls.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
whether the fire departments, police or military, coal mining or what have you, they run into this same sort of intimidation 'gauntlet' they're forced to run by men with teeny brains and apparently even smaller balls.

Many male institutions come with an element of testing the mettle of their new male members. If women want to join, they should expect the same treatment.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
Many male institutions come with an element of testing the mettle of their new male members. If women want to join, they should expect the same treatment.
why should we? I´d rather get a job based on my qualifications than on my participation in stupid games for men. You can keep those.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
why should we? I´d rather get a job based on my qualifications than on my participation in stupid games for men. You can keep those.

The "testing" has nothing to do with getting the job. You've already got the job. The "testing" is done so that the other men know that you will fit in. In Corporate America, hiring managers are often asked to consider a candidate's compatibility with the workgroup or department. A candidate might very well be qualified to do the job, but incompatible with the department for any number of reasons. Those reasons often have to do with the candidates character or personality. The "testing" among men in various institutions is a simplified way of doing that.

So to answer the "why should we?" question: because qualifications are only part of the picture.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
The "testing" has nothing to do with getting the job. You've already got the job. The "testing" is done so that the other men know that you will fit in. In Corporate America, hiring managers are often asked to consider a candidate's compatibility with the workgroup or department. A candidate might very well be qualified to do the job, but incompatible with the department for any number of reasons. Those reasons often have to do with the candidates character or personality. The "testing" among men in various institutions is a simplified way of doing that.

So to answer the "why should we?" question: because qualifications are only part of the picture.
In most work places they can achieve compatability without silly games. So no, I don´t think we should.

Offline delalluvia

In most work places they can achieve compatability without silly games. So no, I don´t think we should.

Agree.  Why don't they see if I fit in because I can do the job, not because I can pass stupid frat boy hell week games.  We're adults now, not kids.