Author Topic: Hey Congress! Focus on Jobs, Not on Us!  (Read 48314 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Hey Congress! Focus on Jobs, Not on Us!
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 12:19:50 pm »
Good question. The report referred to in the story you posted offers some speculative possibilities, but they weren't very convincing.

Agreed. The Guttmacher report makes it seem as though economic disadvantage has caused the increase in abortions among poor/minority women. The problem I find with that thinking is that minority women have always had lesser access to services than their white peers. So why is the difference any greater now? Especially when there is more equality in our society, and more minorities are at economic parity with whites than ever in our history. It just doesn't make much sense to me. There is something else at play.   
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
The government is not prohibiting insurers from doing anything. The idea is to withhold federal funding from abortion practitioners. The insurers can fund whomever they please. The practitioners can still get state funding where allowed, and private funding. So to say that poor women will no longer have access to abortion is factually incorrect.

Congress is not interested controlling the sexual behavior of poor women, they just want to make sure that our federal tax dollars aren't involved in the abortion process.

I hope you're eyes have been opened by the other postings on this thread Milo.  Government funding for women's clinics has been cut already and they pushing for more - for ALL their services - that includes family planning IOW birth control.

Since anti-choice groups are pushing for this legislation, it's obvious it's just another ploy to destroy a woman's right to her own choice.  They couldn't get Roe vs. Wade repealed, so they're making it all but impossible for women to exercise their right to an abortion if she so chooses.

This destruction of rights by the back door is insidious and infuriating.

I daresay certain conservative groups are now doing the same thing with voting rights for minorities.  If you find the technique abhorrent for one group, you should find it abhorrent for EVERY group whose rights it threatens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »
I hope you're eyes have been opened by the other postings on this thread Milo.  Government funding for women's clinics has been cut already and they pushing for more - for ALL their services - that includes family planning IOW birth control.

Since anti-choice groups are pushing for this legislation, it's obvious it's just another ploy to destroy a woman's right to her own choice.  They couldn't get Roe vs. Wade repealed, so they're making it all but impossible for women to exercise their right to an abortion if she so chooses.

This destruction of rights by the back door is insidious and infuriating.

I daresay certain conservative groups are now doing the same thing with voting rights for minorities.  If you find the technique abhorrent for one group, you should find it abhorrent for EVERY group whose rights it threatens.

My eyes were open well before I posted in this thread.

I'm not going to comment on the alleged abridgement of minority voting rights. That is way OT here.

But I will say that whether or not abortion is a "right," the federal government is under no obligation to pay for it. I have a right to bear firearms, but I don't expect the government to subsidize my guns or ammunition. I have a right to practice whatever religion I choose, but I don't expect the government to buy me a Bible.

The only thing I find abhorrent in all this is the government's attempt to prohibit insurance providers from covering a perfectly legal medical therapy. That is an example of over-regulation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:46:16 pm by milomorris »
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 12:53:48 pm »
My eyes were open well before I posted in this thread.

Well, they obviously weren't since people had to point out to you that the legislation wasn't about saving money.  You didn't seem to know that.

I hope you do now.

But I will say that whether or not abortion is a "right," the federal government is under no obligation to pay for it. I have a right to bear firearms, but I don't expect the government to subsidize my guns or ammunition. I have a right to practice whatever religion I choose, but I don't expect the government to buy me a Bible.

Reproduction is also a health issue.  The government DOES subsidize the health care of its citizens.  Do you have a problem with that?