Author Topic: As women get bigger, models get smaller  (Read 79791 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: As women get bigger, models get smaller
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:40 am »
$800?

I'd spend it on travel.   The only occasion where's I'd spend $800 on anything to wear would be if one of my favorite fantasies came true and I got to be a presenter at the Academy Awards.

Offline SuperDistortion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 12:22:06 pm »
That "plus size" model is hot!

She isn´t the slightest overweight, though. Often it feels as though the fashion world exists in its own little bubble, one that doesn´t deal much with reality.

I completely agree with Monika here.
"Really, it's not mine..."   --- Austin Powers

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »
$800?

I'd spend it on travel.   The only occasion where's I'd spend $800 on anything to wear would be if one of my favorite fantasies came true and I got to be a presenter at the Academy Awards.

A lot of people look at it that way.  But that $800.00 handbag is so well made (hand made, actually) that I'll carry it for 30 years (even longer) and pass it down to my daughter.  I've had bags from the same maker since the 70s, and still in good condition.  It actually makes sense in a way: a cheaper bag will fall apart and I'll have to replace it more often.  And this particular brand has such a following that I can sell the bag and get most of my money back for it, if I take good care of it.

My sister actually bought me the $800.00+ bag for Christmas.  It is my pride and joy!  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 03:10:00 pm »
Yep, I'd spend $800 on travel before clothes or handbags too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »
Yep, I'd spend $800 on travel before clothes or handbags too!

Yes, but handbags are for utility.  Travel may provide memories/enrichment, but it is just for a season.  To each his/her own.  I can't resell travel; I can sell a fine handbag.

I once loved to travel but have lost interest in it.  It is too much of a bother.  My daughter and I travelled all over the US and points in the Carribean when she was a baby, but now I'm burned out.  I will send my daughter to a music festival in Italy this summer, however.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »
I completely agree with Monika here.

Me tooo...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:21 pm »
A lot of people look at it that way.  But that $800.00 handbag is so well made (hand made, actually) that I'll carry it for 30 years (even longer) and pass it down to my daughter.  I've had bags from the same maker since the 70s, and still in good condition.  It actually makes sense in a way: a cheaper bag will fall apart and I'll have to replace it more often.  And this particular brand has such a following that I can sell the bag and get most of my money back for it, if I take good care of it.

My sister actually bought me the $800.00+ bag for Christmas.  It is my pride and joy!  :)

Yow, well, I would hope that an $800 handbag would be made well and you're buying quality and not just a designer name.  But I doubt you could tell until AFTER you had the handbag for a while. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
Yow, well, I would hope that an $800 handbag would be made well and you're buying quality and not just a designer name.  But I doubt you could tell until AFTER you had the handbag for a while.  

Yes, I've had a bag made by the same designer (several, actually) since the 70s and they are in excellent condition.  If my daughter and niece hadn't already claimed them, I would put my vintage bags up for sale on Ebay.  I may sell a few of them, but I haven't decided yet.

My sister didn't even blink when she put down $860.00 at the boutique for me to get that bag for Xmas.  But she says she'll never buy one for herself.

Del, I love, love, love your avatar picture!  Gorgeous!  :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:44 am »

Whatever floats your boat.  Frankly, the idea of leaving a handbag to one's daughter made me laugh. And I can't imagine carrying the same bag for 30 years.  It would be like washing out and wearing the same underwear every day for a decade.

Of course, my own view of it is colored by the fact that an $800 handbag would represent almost 2 months of our mortgage payments.  Or half a year of electric bills.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:33 am »
Whatever floats your boat.  Frankly, the idea of leaving a handbag to one's daughter made me laugh. And I can't imagine carrying the same bag for 30 years.  It would be like washing out and wearing the same underwear every day for a decade.

Today I can see that, but, of course, centuries ago, when clothing was valuable and difficult to obtain, clothes were important bequests in people's wills. I don't think they had handbags back then, though.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.