Author Topic: As women get bigger, models get smaller  (Read 79787 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: As women get bigger, models get smaller
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:05 am »
Yes, and in centuries past -- i.e., before the Industrial Revolution -- fashions changed much more slowly than they do now.  Even upper-class people might wear clothes that had belonged to a parent.

I'd guess that given the current economy, the number of people who would dismiss someone's choice of a handbag costing less than 3 figures as "cheap" has declined;  but there's no accounting for taste.  And be that as it may, I simply wouldn't want to carry the same handbag for the rest of my life.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
Yes, and in centuries past -- i.e., before the Industrial Revolution -- fashions changed much more slowly than they do now.  Even upper-class people might wear clothes that had belonged to a parent.

I'd guess that given the current economy, the number of people who would dismiss someone's choice of a handbag costing less than 3 figures as "cheap" has declined;  but there's no accounting for taste.  And be that as it may, I simply wouldn't want to carry the same handbag for the rest of my life.

I'm not saying that I will carry the same handbag for 30 years, but that I can.  I have dozens of handbags and change them up depending on the weather, rule of dress code, etc.  My new bag is too big to carry to the movies, and I'll carry a smaller bag, but by the same luxury brand.

You may be surprised about some women and their obsessions with handbags.  The purse forum has over 200,000 members, both men and women and there is no fewer than 1500 people on line at any given time.  We post pictures of our bags, discuss them and shamelessly obsess about our next purchases.   ;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:52 pm »
Today I can see that, but, of course, centuries ago, when clothing was valuable and difficult to obtain, clothes were important bequests in people's wills. I don't think they had handbags back then, though.  ;)

And I'll bet that movie star/socialite has passed down her $40,000 Birkin bag to her daughter.  I know I'm talking about rich and famous folks here, but passing down a luxury item, even if it is a handbag, doesn't seem strange to me.  I inherited my grandmother's beaded evening bag and it is one of my prized possessions. Kimora Lee Simmons has a trunk full of Louis Vuitton bags (I can't even image what that cost) and she's still colleting them to give to her girls when they come of age.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
How about a $130 bra and $60 underpants? There are pictures on the Michelle-Michelle-Michelle thread.

Do women actually pay $130 for a brassiere?  ???

I can maybe see RuPaul doing it, but a real woman?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »
How about a $130 bra and $60 underpants? There are pictures on the Michelle-Michelle-Michelle thread.

Do women actually pay $130 for a brassiere?  ???

I can maybe see RuPaul doing it, but a real woman?  ???
If one can afford it, why not?

Most of us have interests we spend money on. I spend a lot of money on traveling, others might be into fashion or...carpets.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »
If one can afford it, why not?

Because it's underwear?

Unless one is in a profession where it's seen a lot, maybe.  8)

Then maybe it's a tax write-off.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:13 pm »
Because it's underwear?

Don´t underestimate how what you wear underneath can affect your mood! 8)

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »

You can say that again!! If you want to make a man squirm, put him in underpants that are either uncomfortable, or offer insufficient support. Of course, many men prefer none at all.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »

;D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

Do women actually pay $130 for a brassiere?  ???
I can maybe see RuPaul doing it, but a real woman?  ???

Sure.  Even more if the bra was specially made for them.  My grandma had her own dressmaker.  She'd spend a lot of money for her custom made dresses.  I don't remember how much, but it was a tidy sum, considering all the fabric involved!    ;D My grandma was a big, beautiful doll of a woman!  I loved to see her get fitted for her dresses, especially her gowns.