Author Topic: "Some Sweet Life," "The Grieving Plain," and other "Zane Twist" fanfictions  (Read 121213 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Now that Christmas is over for another year, I figure it's time to deemphasize the Christmas story.

Links to all of my "Zane Twist" fanfictions follow. --Jeff Wrangler

"Canon" Stories:

Some Sweet Life

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2841532/1/

And, a sort-of sequel to Some Sweet Life, A Brokeback Mountain Ghost Story

(Don't worry, it's really not scary.) 

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3212019/1/

The Cabin: November 1973

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2847636/1/

The Grieving Plain

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2852335/1/

"Alternative Universe" Stories:

No Hero

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2873713/1/

Sayin’ “I Do”

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2913454/1/

"All I Got and All I Want" Chapter 1:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/1/

"All I Got and All I Want" Chapter 2:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/2/

"All I Got and All I Want" Chapter 3:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/3/

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 01:16:35 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "All I Got and All I Want" by Jeff Wrangler
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:25:54 pm »
Some Sweet Life

Jeff, that was incredible.  I can't stop crying.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:23:47 am »
Jeff, I've read all of yours, and they keep getting better and better. i wrote a more detailed review of "No Hero" on the website where you published it...but what tickled me the most was..your remembering to put reading glasses on Ennis!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 02:48:52 am »
Jeff,

You are an incredible writer.  Thank you.   :)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 04:22:30 am »
Jeff,

I read yours too on fanfictions.net.  Love them.  Always so excited to see Zane Twist, MaineWriter on top of the page.  I assume that you will continue the "No Hero" story, right?  I saw that you mark the posted one as chapter 1.  I understand the importance to preserve Anne's story line, but it would be nice that we indulge ourselves once a while to imagine the alternate universe that Ennis and Jack have a life together. :)

Thanks,
Jenny

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:05:58 am »
Jeff,

I read yours too on fanfictions.net.  Love them.  Always so excited to see Zane Twist, MaineWriter on top of the page.  I assume that you will continue the "No Hero" story, right?  I saw that you mark the posted one as chapter 1.  I understand the importance to preserve Anne's story line, but it would be nice that we indulge ourselves once a while to imagine the alternate universe that Ennis and Jack have a life together. :)

Thanks,
Jenny

Hi, Jenny,

Thanks so much for reading my "Zane Twist" stories at Fanfiction.net, and for taking the time to write me.

Let me try to answer your question this way: The "chapter 1" designation is somehow applied by the site--I think as it is, it just indicates that the story is only one chapter. I just seem to get ideas for discrete stories rather than for continuing novels--rather like individual episodes of a TV series, I'm afraid. Also I haven't figured out how to post mulitiple chapters of a continuing story, nor have I found any place on fanfiction where I can get help to learn this stuff--the site doesn't exactly seem user-friendly for technophobes like me--or to learn how to gather stories that are already posted individually under one heading.

All that said, I am now working on another individual story that takes place in the same "Alternative Universe" that I described in the preface to "No Hero." This story is my exploration of how Alma, Jr.'s, wedding might play out in my AU.

Thanks again!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:00:35 pm »
Ohboy...can't wait...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 02:31:39 pm »
Ohboy...can't wait...

Thanks, Julie! The story is coming along ... slowly. I'm a perfectionist, writing is a slow process for me to begin with, and there's never enough time, never enough. ...

And with help and advice from Leslie, I may try to gather these "alternative universe" stories together under one umbrella title. I feel vaguely like I'm doing a bad thing, posting so many stories individually.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:49:38 pm »
Jeff - Just read Some Sweet life.  :'(

ummm...I can't be seen crying for goodness sake, I'm at work!  :-\
Will be checking out your other stories when I get home.
Cheers for sharing!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 10:38:16 am »
Hey Jeff,
Your story, Some Sweet Life, has been printed out and folded into my copy of Brokeback Mountain for a couple months now.  One of the sacred texts (from the cult thread) far as I'm concerned. Full of feeling, but never sentimental, that same difficult, rewarding balance as in Annie's original.
In another of your stories, when Ennis goes back again to Lightning Flat, well, I don't cry hardly ever over stories in books (movies, that's different), but your words and images got me crying the first time I read The Grieving Plain, and every time since. There're a lot of lines/images I'll never get (not that I want to) out of my head, among them - when Jack's mom calls Ennis "son," when Ennis cries from the grief of "a year and more - perhaps twenty years", Jack's mom standing there waiting to go to Jack' s grave, holding "a pot of red geraniums," Ennis lying down to sleep on Jack's bed "fully clothed, without turning down the covers."
I loved the reversal in The Cabin, when Jack catches Ennis staring at him, and this time he's the one who says, "What?", and then Ennis, thank god, replies, "It's damn good to see you, Jack," instead of staying silent, or turning the feeling aside with a joke.
And then to read your AU story, No Hero, no tears now, just so happy to read that they're together, Ennis wearing his reunion shirt, Jack with his hands full of a tangle of tree lights - just perfect.
I'm going to head over FanFiction and catch up on submitting reviews there for your stories. I'm sure looking forward to your next story.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 10:04:13 pm »
Sorry, bumping for anyone who may be interested in the new story.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:20:01 pm »
Was too sleepy last night to leave a comment. You know, someday, Alma maybe should wake up and smell the coffee..which of course doesn't mean she will. .I got a little confused about the seating arrangements: At first, I thought Jack was going to sit way upstairs (where the black folks (if any) sit?--didn't think of that last night), and then you said "At the very back of Alma's side of the family." So I had him running up and down stairs in my mind..maybe I just need to read it again..

I was a little afraid you'd have J and E thinking about getting married--glad you didn't...much too early.

I have been to powerful few weddings, and I'm trying to remember--it sure saves on a lot of dishwashing to have throw-away plates...I guess it was only real little ones I was at where they used "the good china."

Anyway, a good time was had by all...nice touch not having anyone eating the rabbit food...they never do, even the ones that're supposed to be dieting (like me!)

Little story of my own: Bob and I had a huge fight last night--(he found out that I sent his Toshiba away to be fixed at my own expense, and he never gave me permission). Anyway, we were both up REAL late, and, it seemed to me we made up and got friendly again...and I went to sleep happy. Then the first thing he says when he gets up is "Fuck you, Julie." He FORGOT we made up...YURG..

I'm writing a fanfictrion of my own...I don't worry about all the little details I always bug you and Leslie about, cause it's amost all dialouge and thinking..I['ve scared stiff to show it to anyone...I can't BELIEVE nobody's written it yet..the plot is great, now if only I can still write.

Me, needing a diet...click to enlarge--maybe you'd better not! also, the toast--not real good of Ennis, but the only one I've got.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 01:38:57 pm by julie01 »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 12:10:30 am »
Jeff  -  I have just read all of your fanfic, great stuff.  Hope you will be posting more, I will be watching for it.
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 06:15:20 pm »
Jeff  -  I have just read all of your fanfic, great stuff.  Hope you will be posting more, I will be watching for it.

J, thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've got another story in the works, but it's a slow process for me, and there's never enough time, never enough. ...

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 03:55:47 pm »
Wow!

I just read all your stories to date, finishing with "Some Sweet Life" appropriately enough.

Your ability to draw us into the continuing saga is a gift, and I'm thankful that you are willing to share it wthl all of us.

In particular you have created a masterpiece with "Some Sweet Life," and you reflect very effectively what I believe awaits us.

Peace,
Fred
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 07:00:02 pm »
Wow!

I just read all your stories to date, finishing with "Some Sweet Life" appropriately enough.

Your ability to draw us into the continuing saga is a gift, and I'm thankful that you are willing to share it wthl all of us.

In particular you have created a masterpiece with "Some Sweet Life," and you reflect very effectively what I believe awaits us.

Peace,
Fred

Hi, Fred,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed my stories. "Some Sweet Life" certainly reflects what I need to believe awaited Ennis.

Jeff

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 06:20:55 pm »
Jeff--and others! If you are real sneaky, you can get a second review of someone's
's story posted on fanfiction. You just have to wait a while...

I do not believe "Some Sweet Life" is what awaits any of us...but it'd be nice, anyway...and I cried all the way through my first reading.

Wanted to make a public apology for stealing one of Jeff's ghosts--I needed him for my last story; besides, he's much older. But still, theft is theft.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 12:28:40 am »
Greetings!

I was asked to post links to my stories posted at Fanfiction.net. I'd like to oblige--I hope I can make this work!

The new story is "Sayin' 'I Do.'"

Sayin’ “I Do”

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2913454/1/

Some Sweet Life

The Cabin: November 1973

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2847636/1/

The Grieving Plain

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2852335/1/

No Hero

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2873713/1/

Especially liked "Grieving Plain"
I always thought That Ennis would have ended up at The Twist ranch perhaps after Jacks farther passed. He would have offered to help on the ranch to honor Jack and return the kindness hiss mother gave him. it is where he would have felt closest to Jack.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 06:24:13 pm »
JP,

Thanks so much for your kind comment about "The Grieving Plain." Sorry for not acknowledging it earlier--I was out of touch over the weekend and don't check this particular board too often.

Jeff

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 01:30:40 pm »
Jeff, I'm new here and am feeling my way around.  Before I registered, I had an opportunity to read your stories at Fanfiction.net, and I have to tell you, I am impressed!  I check this forum often to see if you have written anything new, because I can't get enough of your writing.  We have to find a way to convince you to keep writing.  In other words, I demand more!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:36:58 pm by littlewing1957 »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 12:12:48 pm »
Jeff, I'm new here and am feeling my way around.  Before I registered, I had an opportunity to read your stories at Fanfiction.net, and I have to tell you, I am impressed!  I check this forum often to see if you have written anything new, because I can't get enough of your writing.  We have to find a way to convince you to keep writing.  In other words, I demand more!!

Oh, gosh.

Thanks for your kind comments, littlewing. Obviously I'm not checking the fan fiction board here very often, because I haven't had anything to add lately, so I apologize for not responding sooner.

Well, summer is here, and there are lots of things to do, like getting out of the city as often as possible. Unfortunately there is never enough time, never enough, for everything. If it's any consolation to anyone--and I don't know why it should be--I have started work on two additional Alternative Universe stories, one of which involves the fight with the roughnecks mentioned in "Sayin' 'I do,'" but it may well be fall before either is finished.

(Sigh.) Has anybody figured out how to add more hours to an evening or days to a week?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:22:40 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 02:42:42 pm »
Oh, gosh.

Thanks for your kind comments, littlewing. Obviously I'm not checking the fan fiction board here very often, because I haven't had anything to add lately, so I apologize for not responding sooner.

Well, summer is here, and there are lots of things to do, like getting out of the city as often as possible. Unfortunately there is never enough time, never enough, for everything. If it's any consolation to anyone--and I don't know why it should be--I have started work on two additional Alternative Universe stories, one of which involves the fight with the roughnecks mentioned in "Sayin' 'I do,'" but it may well be fall before either is finished.

(Sigh.) Has anybody figured out how to add more hours to an evening or days to a week?  :-\

Take your time, JP!  Your stories are worth the wait!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:34 pm »
Take your time, JP!  Your stories are worth the wait!

Aww, thanks! You made my evening!  :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 11:32:50 am »
"Some Sweet Life" certainly reflects what I need to believe awaited Ennis.

I'd read the wedding story, but "No Hero" was one I hadn't seen. That was great, Ennis delivering a baby, and in the old way at that (i.e., squatting, with a bathtub standing in for a birthing stool).   :)

Nice touch, too, having the couple named Joe (Joseph) and Marcy, with a son named Joshua born on Christmas Eve. Very sweet finish, too. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
I'd read the wedding story, but "No Hero" was one I hadn't seen. That was great, Ennis delivering a baby, and in the old way at that (i.e., squatting, with a bathtub standing in for a birthing stool).   :)

Nice touch, too, having the couple named Joe (Joseph) and Marcy, with a son named Joshua born on Christmas Eve. Very sweet finish, too. 

Marge,

Thanks so much for the kind words about "No Hero." I'm glad you enjoyed the story. My apologies for not responding sooner. I'm sort of on "summer hiatus" from writing, so I haven't been checking the fanfiction forum as regularly as I should.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 10:17:12 pm »
OK, it appears editing the original posting wasn't enough to move this, so I'm going to have to bump it.  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 10:23:19 pm »
Just in case anyone is interested, I've posted a link to a new fanfic. It's an AU story that takes place early in Ennis and Jack's life together. It will have multiple chapters, but they will be short chapters. Here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/1/

I've added this to my thread over on the fanfiction forum, too, and bumped the thread.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:25:06 am by MaineWriter »

moremojo

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 10:25:38 pm »
Jeff, if I can wring up the courage to dabble in fresh AU fiction, yours will be the first--I swear!

Thanks for posting the link and informing us all of your continuing efforts...

Peace and friendship,
Scott

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 11:50:17 pm »
Jeff, your fan fics are what first got me reading fan fic all together! You can bet I'll be reading this one, thanks for posting...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 01:17:17 am »
Jeff-finally!

I'm so 'cited!

O0

Heathen

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 01:39:20 am »
YeeHaw!!!    :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:10 am »
I'll try not to take four effen years to get chapter 2 finished.  ;)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 05:54:15 pm »
I'll start this when I finish "Somebody New".   ;)

(Yes...still reading it...  ::) )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 10:13:06 pm »
I'll start this when I finish "Somebody New".   ;)

(Yes...still reading it...  ::) )

Don't worry, Eric. Chapter 1 is short, only five pages on paper.  ;)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 07:32:34 pm »
Hi Jeff

Really liked "All I Got and Alll I Want". Look forwaes to the rest.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 07:40:57 pm »
I'll try not to take four effen years to get chapter 2 finished.  ;)

Heh.  True fic fans will hang on.  Not sure if they'd hang on 20 years though.  :P

EDITED TO ADD:  I keep trying Jack/Ennis slashfic in alternate universe, but the Jack character always ends up dead.  I guess in my mind there can never be a happy ending for those two no matter who or where they are.  :(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:49:02 pm by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 10:24:44 am »
Heh.  True fic fans will hang on.  Not sure if they'd hang on 20 years though.  :P

EDITED TO ADD:  I keep trying Jack/Ennis slashfic in alternate universe, but the Jack character always ends up dead.  I guess in my mind there can never be a happy ending for those two no matter who or where they are.  :(

They don't end up dead in my story. It is 2006 and they are busily living happy, fulfilling, sexy lives.

Here's a link to the first story:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/417.html

And its sequel:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/20162.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 10:35:29 am »
They don't end up dead in my story. It is 2006 and they are busily living happy, fulfilling, sexy lives.

Here's a link to the first story:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/417.html

And its sequel:

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/20162.html

Not in my AU, either. Leastways, not for maybe another 20 years or so. (We all gotta go some time.)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 02:18:29 am »
Jeff and Maine,

They don't end up dead in my story...they are busily living happy, fulfilling, sexy lives.

Guess my guys have to suffer.   :-\  Another massive reason I love BBM so much.  I guess I find angst fascinating.  Doesn't matter if my Jack/Ennis are soldier/circus roustabout stranded on an island after the Krakatoa blast or a monk and the consort of a planetary ruler in a sci-fi universe.  In my stories, Jack ends up dead.   :(

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:52 pm »
del,
I keep trying Jack/Ennis slashfic in alternate universe, but the Jack character always ends up dead. 

Guess my guys have to suffer.   :-\  Another massive reason I love BBM so much.  I guess I find angst fascinating. In my stories, Jack ends up dead.

I thought from the first quote that you meant you keep trying to find a fic to read where he didn't end up dead, but from the second quote, am I understanding correctly that you're writing?
Would you consider posting a link one a these days?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »
del,
I thought from the first quote that you meant you keep trying to find a fic to read where he didn't end up dead, but from the second quote, am I understanding correctly that you're writing?
Would you consider posting a link one a these days?

I hope Del does, but over in our fanfic forum? That is where we are trying to get the good fanfic discussions going...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2006, 02:26:18 pm »
Fernly and Maine,

Yes, I am a beta for other slash writers and I do write my own slash.

Unfortunately, EVERYthing I write is a WIP (work in progress) and it stays that way because I never finish.  Hence, no links because there is nothing completed, just a few hundred pages here and there on different story ideas and then it just stops.  :(

Someday, I will break through my block - others have suggested it's a psychological block.  I've been told my entire life by teachers, professors and other writers and friends how talented I am at writing.  If I actually finished anything I'd have to submit it for review/publication and apparently, mentally, I have this fear of failing so I probably never will.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2006, 01:53:52 pm »
I just finished reading "All I got and All I Want."  I love, love, love it!  So very romantic!  I am breathlessly awaiting the next chapter.   :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2006, 02:26:34 pm »
Hi Jeff

Really liked "All I Got and Alll I Want". Look forwaes to the rest.

Mark

Thanks, Mark! Glad you enjoyed it. ~J.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2006, 02:28:33 pm »
I just finished reading "All I got and All I Want."  I love, love, love it!  So very romantic!  I am breathlessly awaiting the next chapter.   :)

Thank you most kindly! I'm kinda partial to writin' dozy embrace-type stuff. ...

More will be coming as my time permits, and, as we all know, there is never enough time. ...  :-\

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2006, 03:25:15 pm »
Thank you most kindly! I'm kinda partial to writin' dozy embrace-type stuff. ...

More will be coming as my time permits, and, as we all know, there is never enough time. ...  :-\

Yes, I know what you mean.  I've always had the notion that Jack feels so loved and secure in Ennis' arms that he almost becomes hypnotized, is able to sleep peacefully like a baby.  You illustrated it perfectly for me!  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 03:51:15 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean.  I've always had the notion that Jack feels so loved and secure in Ennis' arms that he almost becomes hypnotized, is able to sleep peacefully like a baby.  You illustrated it perfectly for me!  :)

Aw, thanks! You just made my day.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006, 05:22:39 pm »
I hope Del does, but over in our fanfic forum? That is where we are trying to get the good fanfic discussions going...

Leslie

Great idea, Leslie.  I'll move this thread over to the fanfic forum, and post a note that it was moved.  Clarissa

Offline jessiwrite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 06:52:06 pm »

My reasoning in reading AU is so he won't die. lol

I have what seems a pretty stupid question.  Since Jack and Ennis are lovers, there is no way they are out of character by anyone's standards when they have sex, well, why do we say BBM slash instead of just BBM fanfic, is there a purpose for it?  Is there another kind of BBM fanfic.  The slash there always throws me.  Hm, sounds reduntant. lol.

... not nobody when in somebody's arms,  ain’t nowhere if somewhere with him.
My man who nothin ever came t’is hand the way he wanted.
‘Cause all he ever wanted was me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 08:49:17 pm »
My reasoning in reading AU is so he won't die. lol

I have what seems a pretty stupid question.  Since Jack and Ennis are lovers, there is no way they are out of character by anyone's standards when they have sex, well, why do we say BBM slash instead of just BBM fanfic, is there a purpose for it?  Is there another kind of BBM fanfic.  The slash there always throws me.  Hm, sounds reduntant. lol.

Good point. ...

I guess I don't think of my stories as "slash" because I don't seem to be able to write them having sex (not counting the Annie Proulx-style sex in "The Cabin") because it would be too much like telling the secrets of two friends I love very much. How freakin' ridiculous is that?  :-\

Offline jessiwrite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2006, 10:25:29 pm »
Good point. ...

I guess I don't think of my stories as "slash" because I don't seem to be able to write them having sex (not counting the Annie Proulx-style sex in "The Cabin") because it would be too much like telling the secrets of two friends I love very much. How freakin' ridiculous is that?  :-\

Sometimes, I kinda wish someone would close the door and give them some privacy. lol.
I understand slash to be the relationshiip, doesn't have to have sexual content.  Just are they sexually attracted to each other.  I've read a lot of beautiful wonderful stories about them that had no sex but would still be slash even if they hadn't discovered those feelings for each other yet.  And certainly if they are lovers then it is slash. I just wondered if it is different in this fandom. 

... not nobody when in somebody's arms,  ain’t nowhere if somewhere with him.
My man who nothin ever came t’is hand the way he wanted.
‘Cause all he ever wanted was me.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 11:02:41 pm »

Hi Delalluvia!

are you kidding me!  ha, I have been ruthlessly searching out my favourite fanfic and I have a list of the best sweetest stories of Jack and Ennis!  They are all Jack and Ennis, either AU (deviates from canon, where Jack and Ennis DO find the sweet life we all wanted them to have)  or they are filler for the canon story, filling in the missing scenes, so-to-speak.  Otherwise known as the Real Deal.  Jack does not die in these fanfics, no way!   :o

If you are interested I can give you more info, like where to find them, but for now off the top of my head here are just a few of my favourites:

royandronnie:  Never Enough Sleep, Trailhead, Cycle of Broken Dreams, The Time Between
midwest_girl:  If I Asked
writings by belgianboy
Dreaming by Cathalin (we have been waiting patiently for over a month for Chapter 15)
all three stories by Jenny:  Big Boots of Pain, Not Taking No, and When The Snow Didn't Come
larcopidis:  So Damned Happy

and of course the classics

Jennasts, MaineWriter, MadLori

there's also a few authors I haven't finished reading yet, I Heart Gale Harold, and lovehurts4ever, niims, deviant_dev.  There's more that that, but that's all I have for now....

Jane

PS I hope I do not inadvertently hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them off this list, this is obviously only a partial list of Jack and Ennis fanfic, and if anyone knows of any other good fanfic about J & E, canon or AU, please let me know!

tks,

Jane

Edited to add:  PS:  ok, now that I finished reading the thread, I see that Del is not necessarily looking for fanfic to read, she is a writer....  Oh well, I might as well leave this post up now, that I've written it....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:11:23 pm by JakeTwist »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 02:22:38 pm »
Was delighted to see that you had a new stiory--but dsappoitned to find that I'd read it a week ago.  Due to an unfortunaste mishap I cannot leave feedback on ff--I think it has something to do with one person blockling my feedback...others have told me they have done no such thing, but I can't leave feedback for anybody now.

I think it's too bad that everyone is going AU. But as someone pointed out: we're running out of cannon!

As gut-satisfyting as it is to see Jack and Ennis living happily ever after--they didn't did they? Isn't that what the story was all about, that they didn't? And why?

Oddly enoigh, there is an AU thing I might like to deal with. I'll simply report a story i read in Life magazine about..umm...1950.  A man who lived alone in rough terrain--cause that's the way he liiked to live, drove a jeep, and had few friends one day was driving a little too fast,. hit an unexpected bump, and the jeep turned over, pinning him beneath it. Gas began leaking oput of ther tank, and soon caught fire. Fortunately, someone did come along, and pulled him out in time to save his life, but he was very badly burned.

He was taken to an excellent hospital, where after many skin grafts and anitbiotic, he began to recover.  He became fond of the nurse who cared for him most of the time, and she him. They fell in love, and by the time he was ready to be released, they were  married.

Althouigh they were not blessed with children, they were very happy, and continued to live in the man's rough house that he had built for himself, a good while ago now.

One day, he was driving along the rough road from his house to town (his wife wasn't with him), and taking such pleasure from simply being alive, he began to drive too fast. He hit an unexpected bump in the road, the jeep turned over, he was pinned beneath it. Gas leaked out of the gas tank, and caught on fire. He burned to death.

Am I the only mainly non-DaveCullen person going to the Slash bash in Chicago on Friday?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2006, 05:54:49 pm »
Bump--because I've posted Chapter 2 of "All I Got and All I Want."  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2006, 10:07:07 pm »
A link would help, Jeff darlin:

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/2/

Enjoy, everyone...

Leslie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2006, 08:33:10 am »
A link would help, Jeff darlin:

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3141865/2/

Enjoy, everyone...

Leslie

There was one--added to the very first post on the thread--but thanks for adding here, too.  ;) I just bumped because I learned that if you just edit a post, to add something to it (like a link to a new chapter), it stays where it is. It doesn't move back up on the forum unless you bump it.

To add that chapter 2 I used the instructions you sent me--in April! Very clear--and the process was easier than I expected. Thanks, Honey!

~J.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2006, 09:42:17 am »
Jeff, this chapter made me hungry!! Even after a big roast beef dinner...LOL

L

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2006, 09:31:59 pm »
Jeff I am so into this story!  What a great read.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2006, 02:38:29 am »
Great story! Can't wait to see Ennis and Jack kick those rough necks butts.  I'm wondering of this will win them a little respect in the community....or if any of the other "men" in the restaurant will lend them a hand.  Looking forward to your next chapter.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2006, 06:35:58 am »
Great story! Can't wait to see Ennis and Jack kick those rough necks butts.  I'm wondering of this will win them a little respect in the community....or if any of the other "men" in the restaurant will lend them a hand.  Looking forward to your next chapter.

Hey Dot....

I see you are new here to Bettermost! Welcome. Pull up a chair, have some coffee and cherry cake, make yourself at home.

And enjoy Jeff's story, he's one a my bestest buds round these parts...

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, Fanfic

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:43 pm »
In honor of Publication Day, I've posted the third and concluding chapter of All I Got and All I Want.

Here's the link:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:26:41 am by MaineWriter »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2006, 10:36:51 pm »
Hey Dot....

I see you are new here to Bettermost! Welcome. Pull up a chair, have some coffee and cherry cake, make yourself at home.

And enjoy Jeff's story, he's one a my bestest buds round these parts...

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, Fanfic

Aw, thanks, Little Darlin'.  ;)

And thank you, too, Dot, and welcome to our spread here at Bettermost.

I thought Publication Day (anniversary of the publication of Brokeback Mountain in The New Yorker in 1997) was an appropriate occasion to post the final and concluding chapter of the story. I started a separate thread with the link, but here it is, too:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:27:18 am by MaineWriter »

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2006, 11:03:26 pm »
Just finished reading chp. 3. It's great! (not gonna get any more specific than that - don't want to give away what happens ;) ).
What a fine way to celebrate Publication Day. Thanks, Jeff!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2006, 11:15:41 pm »
Just finished reading chp. 3. It's great! (not gonna get any more specific than that - don't want to give away what happens ;) ).
What a fine way to celebrate Publication Day. Thanks, Jeff!

My pleasure, ma'am.  :)

And thank you, too. After all, in a manner of speakin', you inspired this little AU tale.  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2006, 08:55:02 am »
I have merged the topics on this story into a single topic under the topic heading  "All I Got and All I Want" by Jeff Wrangler.

We generally prefer to have a single thread per story.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2006, 12:06:45 pm »
We generally prefer to have a single thread per story.

And I generally prefer people to mind their own business when there is no compelling reason to interfere.

Thanks for making it more difficult for any interested readers to find the link.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2006, 01:31:04 pm »
Thank you for the welcoming nod Leslie & Jeff  :D

Jeff I just finished Chapter 3 and your story is perfect.  I loved it!  As Jack said in the film, "It could be like this, just like this always"   Thank you!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2006, 04:10:57 pm »
Jeff I just finished Chapter 3 and your story is perfect.  I loved it!  As Jack said in the film, "It could be like this, just like this always"   Thank you!

Thanks, Dot, it's my pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I guess my way of dealing with the pain of the "reality" has been to imagine the "how it might have been."  :-\

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2006, 08:45:27 pm »
And thank you, too. After all, in a manner of speakin', you inspired this little AU tale.  ;)

:-*

And may I just add....this story may be AU, but one of the reasons I like it and your others so much, is that your Jack and Ennis are so close to the originals. Here, they're just AU enough to make the choices that let them ranch up together and have the life they deserve, and it's interesting to see how the consequences of those choices play out, while Jack and Ennis are still recognizably themselves.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:25 pm »
Just finished chapter 3 and I loved every word.  This story is perfection!  Please write more, please!  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 06:57:54 pm »
Awww. ...  ::)

I've been away from the fanfiction forum for a few days, so please forgive the belated thank you, Fern and Littlewing, for your kind comments. (Please forgive all those alliterative "f"s, too.  ;D )

Fern, I especially appreciate your comment that I've managed to keep our cowboys "recognizably themselves." Thanks!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "Zane Twist" fanfictions by Jeff Wrangler
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 08:45:22 pm »
Bump, in case any new folks who find their way here in the wake of the HBO broadcast might be interested.  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 09:38:43 pm »
And bump, because they should be interested, and these are a great introduction to fanfic and BBM related stories.

Thanks again, Jeff, for your contributions.

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2006, 11:15:38 pm »
And bump, because they should be interested, and these are a great introduction to fanfic and BBM related stories.

Thanks again, Jeff, for your contributions.

L

Aww, thanks, Sweetheart!

(Enjoy your "Candy" and your Manhattans!  ;)  ;D )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2006, 11:51:30 am »
Somebody asked me about links. ...  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "No Hero," an AU Christmas fanfic, and other "Zane Twist" fanfictions
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2006, 04:44:09 pm »
Bump.  ::)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2006, 11:33:08 pm »
Just reread "No Hero" - your stories are so true, Jeff. Jack's and Ennis' voices come through so clearly, it's like I'm listening, not reading. Thank you for letting us share a Christmas with them, and convincing me that there is an AU where they are celebrating the holiday together, as always.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2006, 11:43:03 pm »
Just reread "No Hero" - your stories are so true, Jeff. Jack's and Ennis' voices come through so clearly, it's like I'm listening, not reading. Thank you for letting us share a Christmas with them, and convincing me that there is an AU where they are celebrating the holiday together, as always.

Well, thank you very much. Can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me that you feel I seem to do a good job capturing their voices. (Wish we had a little "blushing cowboy smiley," but we don't, so I'll just have to  :) and let it go at that.)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2006, 09:27:24 am »
Hi Jeff,

I have just read "The Grieving Plain" and am absolutely speechless. Since first finding BetterMost, less than a month ago, I have taken to making quick visits during the day at work, when I have a free moment. It acts as a refreshing respite for me, amidst the manic turmoil of my working day. Gad, ol' Brokeback got me so good, it's not unusual to find me with tears in my eyes during such visits. I was certainly glad, however, that I didn't read "The Grieving Plain" at work - it had me sobbing out loud. It was the image of Jack silently smiling at Ennis, in his dream, that brought me undone. Congratulations to you, Jeff. You wove a beautiful, believable tale of what might very well have happened, incorporating much of Annie Proulx's timelessly memorable imagery into your story. When I feel I can handle the emotional hammering, I'll be reading it again. Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2006, 10:10:43 am »
Hi, Kerry,

Well, I always feel compelled to apologize for making people cry, but thank you so much for your kind words about "The Grieving Plain." I appreciate it very much that you took the time to comment, and it was a pleasant and unexpected surprise to find your post when I logged on here at my own job this morning.

Actually, in mentioning my incorporation of Annie Proulx's imagery, you touch on what has been my approach to this whole fanfiction thing. I haven't had the inspiration--or the time--to write anything for awhile now, but all along I have made a deliberate effort to imitate Annie Proulx's turns of phrase, or to write things that deliberately evoke memories of scenes or lines that we know from the story or the film. Perhaps it's not very original or imaginative of me, but I didn't create Ennis and Jack, and this is how I'm able to "see" my own stories in my own mind's eye.

Of course, it's also true that I have added things from my own personal experience. For example, in "The Grieving Plain," the pot of red geraniums from the southward-facing porch comes from the fact that my late mother always planted geraniums in the southward-facing flower bed, against a brick wall, in front of the house where I grew up. The sun against the brick wall kept the flower bed warm enough that it wasn't unusual for those geraniums to be blooming as late as Christmas.

Thanks again for your kind words about the story.

Jeff

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2006, 12:21:19 pm »
Bump. Merry Christmas to all Brokies everywhere!  ;)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Jeff -

I MUST tell you the following!  After watchin BBM on DVD with my partner David's straight 29 year old nephew (first time for him), who’s been visitin us for the holidays, I was tellin him about some of my favorite FanFiction.  I was describing "Some Sweet Life," that I read many months ago, after you first wrote it. As I was tellin him about the part when Jack rode up to Ennis on Brokeback, I got so choked up, I could hardly talk through my tears! Even now, as I write this and think back on that scene in "Some Sweet Life," I’m getting real teary.  It is such as wonderful, moving story!!!  Thank you so much for writing it and I hope you write more short stories!

Pete   
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: All I Got
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2007, 03:58:20 am »
Joined Bettermost recently, and came upon your series of tales early on.  Have enjoyed all of them.  The canon ones are hard to get through, except the ghost story, without having my emotions rise to the surface and bubble over, in a good way. 

Particularly like the AU series of the guys on the old Barkley spread outside of Signal.  As you said, "what if" they had made the choice in 1967, what if Ennis had put aside his fears long enough to make the choice? And having them take three years to work it out between themselves and their wives, well, isn't it often like that? True to life, and true to themselves.  I also like how you incorporated things: the tire iron over the mantle, Jack learning culinary skills over and above opening cans of beans messily, Ennis loving his horses, lighting a cigarette for each other, the wedding of Junior and Kurt, Alma's frostiness towards Jack, their struggle to make ends meet, and finally doing just that, little things like that.  Also like your portrayal of Ennis doing the books for the ranch.  Nice to show that Ennis can handle that; lot's of stories have him doing only the ranch work, and Jack handling the money and business end. 

Hope the spirits of Jack and Ennis will visit you soon again, and inspire you to add another chapter or two or three or...about their life in signal.  After all, Ennis will eventually become a gran'pa, and Jack needs to somehow reconnect with Bobby or at least try, and Ennis needs to meet Jack's parents even if it is only to be thrown off the place by Jack's dad.  Maybe Joey, Marcy and Joshua need to visit sometime.  Ennis invited KE to visit the ranch, so maybe he and Doris should do that, with their kids, for Thanksgiving, along with Junior and Kurt and Francie. And Franice's graduating, so they need to drive over to Riverton for that.  More little things like that. 

Thanks for the great stories.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Howdy, "cwby,"

Gosh, I haven't checked the fanfic forum for a while, and I'm a little overwhelmed. Thank you very much for your kind words about my stories.

In particular, I appreciate that you found it true to life that working out the details to set up their little cow and calf operation together didn't happen overnight, and also I like your choice of "frostiness" to describe my portrayal of Alma's behavior toward Jack--that's exactly the effect I was striving for!

As for Ennis doing the books, it just seemed to me that the Ennis who insisted they had to "stick it out," untangling those flocks of sheep, when Jack was ready to "f-ck Aguirre," who saved cigarettes to finish later, and who had actually managed to squirrel away some money toward a place of his own (even if it was only ten bucks in a tobacco can), had a strong, practical, down-to-earth streak in him and would be the one to keep the ranch books. Or maybe he was just checking up on Jack--I hadn't thought of that! And I gave him reading glasses because he was so farsighted that he disliked reading anything other than Hamley's saddle catalog.  :D

It seems my Brokeback fanfiction muse is a skittish filly with a low startle point. I think she may have thrown me after I completed "All I Got and All I Want." I actually have a few scraps of ideas about some of the things you mentioned floating around in my head, but only time will tell.

The canon stories were my own way of working through a lot of my emotions. My apologies if you found them hard to get through--even in a good way.

In any case, I'm much obliged for your kind words.  :)

Jeff

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Since you wrote The Grieving Plain, Jeff, I was especially keen to find out what you think of the pictures of the family plot. Looking forward to hearing about it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
Hi Jeff.  Would you be so kind as to post the link to Some Sweet Life.  I couldnt find it.   Much appreciated

dev

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Since you wrote The Grieving Plain, Jeff, I was especially keen to find out what you think of the pictures of the family plot. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Well, that photo of the cross against the dark and lowering sky is very atmospheric--a great photo, in fact. I like that one.

I have to admit, however, that the photos of a "Twist" headstone "magically inserted" among the real graves makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I know no disrespect is intended, and I intend none here, but I'm troubled by the thought that, intended or not, it might be disrespectful to the people who are actually buried there.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Hi Jeff.  Would you be so kind as to post the link to Some Sweet Life.  I couldnt find it.   Much appreciated

dev

"You bet!"  ;D Thanks for asking!

Some Sweet Life

Links to all my stories are in the very first post (mine) on this thread.

~J.W.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: canon stories
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2007, 07:23:50 pm »
No apologies necessary, Jeff.  You did there and do in your other stories what you were supposed to do as a writer: touch us emotionally and give us something to think about. 

Will wait [somewhat] patiently for your Brokeback muse to lift those scraps of stories and put them on the top of the writing pile, so we can read more about the guys and their sweet life in Signal.  After all, when you get thrown by a horse, you have to climb back on and show that filly you're the boss [even if your harmonica did end up dented and off key]!

Thanks again.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: canon stories
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2007, 08:06:23 pm »
After all, when you get thrown by a horse, you have to climb back on and show that filly you're the boss [even if your harmonica did end up dented and off key]!

:laugh: Sure enough!

Well, one of these days Ennis and Jack may devil me to write more, as, apparently, they deviled Annie Proulx before her story took final shape, but writing is hard work for me--getting those two cowboys to be recognizably themselves, even if their situation is radically different--and there ain't never enough time, never enough. ...  :-\

But thanks again for your kind words. They mean a lot to me, they really do.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Well, that photo of the cross against the dark and lowering sky is very atmospheric--a great photo, in fact. I like that one.

I have to admit, however, that the photos of a "Twist" headstone "magically inserted" among the real graves makes me vaguely uncomfortable. I know no disrespect is intended, and I intend none here, but I'm troubled by the thought that, intended or not, it might be disrespectful to the people who are actually buried there.

I understand your point of view, Jeff. Be assured that the headstone and grave were facing the other way and we only put the name on the back of it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I understand your point of view, Jeff. Be assured that the headstone and grave were facing the other way and we only put the name on the back of it.

Tell you what, after I wrote my response, I thought about this a lot more. I got to thinking about all the TV shows I've seen that featured funerals or graves as part of the plot (Ghost Whisperer would be a good, recent example), and I realized that none of those had ever made me uneasy. So looking at it from this perspective, I don't really understand why the "Twist headstone" made me uneasy--made me concerned about disrespect--whereas scenes from fictional TV shows that were clearly filmed in cemeteries never raised an issue with me--perhaps especially since it hadn't occurred to me that the name had been superimposed on an existing "real" gravestone. I had assumed that the whole stone had been "magically inserted." It's a puzzlement.  ??? :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Um, bump. ...  ::)

Offline dot-matrix

:D   Thanks for that Jeff...I had always meant to go back and read your other stories.  Thanks for a very pleasant evening.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
:D   Thanks for that Jeff...I had always meant to go back and read your other stories.  Thanks for a very pleasant evening.

You're welcome!  :D  Somebody asked about my stories at the barbecue, so I bumped the thread to make it easier to find the links.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Always good to bump the good stories, Jeff!

Leslie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Always good to bump the good stories, Jeff!

Leslie

Awwww. ...  ::) Thanks, Sweetheart!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
I'm so glad these stories were bumped!  I'm only sorry I haven't read them sooner.

Thank you for writing "Some Sweet Life."  That is simply gorgeous writing and I was profoundly touched. 

Really enjoyed the other stories as well - especially "Sayin' I Do" - really demonstrated what good, good men J&E are and I love picturing the snapshot of Jack, Junior and Ennis together.  I also loved your note about the wedding date - that is so Leslie - which is always a very good thing!  LOL!!!

Thanks again, Jeff
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I'm so glad these stories were bumped!  I'm only sorry I haven't read them sooner.

Thank you for writing "Some Sweet Life."  That is simply gorgeous writing and I was profoundly touched. 

Really enjoyed the other stories as well - especially "Sayin' I Do" - really demonstrated what good, good men J&E are and I love picturing the snapshot of Jack, Junior and Ennis together.  I also loved your note about the wedding date - that is so Leslie - which is always a very good thing!  LOL!!!

Thanks again, Jeff
Marie

Why, thank you kindly, Mariez. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories and appreciate you taking the time to write. "Some Sweet Life" will always be very close to my own heart, as, aside from being my first story, it was how I gave myself peace of mind after the film ripped me up inside.

I agree with you about Leslie.  :D

J.W.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old

I just reread this story and yeah, it's very moving and touching. I was thinking about the song 'Lost Soul' reading your story. It's by a belgian singer songwriter called Anton Walgrave, very sad and moving too  :'(

When you reach the other side boy
Will you tell me what it’s like?
You dream ‘bout light and love and shelter

Will you reach the other side?
You’re cut adrift,maybe tonight
When you reach the other side

Lost soul

Hope you like what I have done boy
Now will you find some peace of mind?
And when you see us from a distance

Will things get better when you hide?
on the other side

Lost soul

You can listen to it on his website: http://www.antonwalgrave.com/index.php?page=lounge

I'm going to read your other stories too Jeff. You're talented.

And yes Marie, there can never be enough 'Leslie' in any story.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I just reread this story and yeah, it's very moving and touching. I was thinking about the song 'Lost Soul' reading your story. It's by a belgian singer songwriter called Anton Walgrave, very sad and moving too  :'(

When you reach the other side boy
You dream ‘bout light and love and shelter

Will you reach the other side?
You’re cut adrift,maybe tonight

Lost soul

Hope you like what I have done boy
Now will you find some peace of mind?
And when you see us from a distance

Will things get better when you hide?
on the other side

Lost soul

You can listen to it on his website: http://www.antonwalgrave.com/index.php?page=lounge

I'm going to read your other stories too Jeff. You're talented.

And yes Marie, there can never be enough 'Leslie' in any story.  :)

That is a very sweet, sad, song--and I can see the relevance to "Some Sweet Life." Thanks for sharing it--and thanks for your kind words.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Bumpin' for a good buddy.  ;)

(You know who you are. ...)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
bumping for the pleasure of reading all Jeff's stories,
and, in the spirit of the upcoming holiday, for A Brokeback Mountain Ghost Story in particular...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
bumping for the pleasure of reading all Jeff's stories,
and, in the spirit of the upcoming holiday, for A Brokeback Mountain Ghost Story in particular...

Happy Halloween!  ;) Thanks, Honey!  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
I think we should get you to read this to be played on Brokeback Mountain Radio, Jeff!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I think we should get you to read this to be played on Brokeback Mountain Radio, Jeff!

Oooops. I guess it's a little late for a ghost story. ...  ::)

Shows you how often I check in on this forum these days. ...  ::)

Anyway, I'm bumpin' my own thread (yeah, yeah. ...) 'cause Christmas is a-comin', and No Hero is a Christmas story.

Happy Holidays, everybody!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
OK, I think this is weird. I've more or less moved on from fanfiction. It served a purpose in my life at a particular time in my life, and now I've moved on. I can't even say the last time I looked at my own stories, let alone someone else's. Heck, it's been two and a half years since I even posted on this thread! And yet in the past week, I've received two favorable reviews on my stuff on fanfiction.net!  ???

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
People are still out there reading it all!!   :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I had no idea that you had written BBM fan fics, Jeff.
I´m still reading fan fiction, so I´ll definately check those story out.
I mostly check Brokebackslash for fan fics, so that´s probably why haven´t seen your stuff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I had no idea that you had written BBM fan fics, Jeff.
I´m still reading fan fiction, so I´ll definately check those story out.
I mostly check Brokebackslash for fan fics, so that´s probably why haven´t seen your stuff.

Be warned: my stuff is very PG-rated.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
Where can it be found, Jeff?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Where can it be found, Jeff?

There are links to all my stories in the very first post on page one of this thread. Marvelous to say, the links still work! I just tried them to make sure.  :)

Thank you for asking.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Jeff, I had forgotten that you're the author of the amazing Zane Twist tales.  I remember reading several of them years ago.  They're off the chains, Jeff.  I'm so glad all the links still work cause I'm going to go re-read every last one.  :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Jeff, I had forgotten that you're the author of the amazing Zane Twist tales.  I remember reading several of them years ago.  They're off the chains, Jeff.  I'm so glad all the links still work cause I'm going to go re-read every last one.  :-*

Aw, thank you! What a sweet thing to say! Made my morning!  :D  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

You're very welcome!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
There are links to all my stories in the very first post on page one of this thread. Marvelous to say, the links still work! I just tried them to make sure.  :)

Thanks! I'll take a look at them when I have time.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!

You're welcome!  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

You are in for a treat!  :)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
You are in for a treat!  :)

Sounds tempting!

But I'll have to wait, have no real time for reading atm...   :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
You are in for a treat!  :)

Oh, stop. You're very kind but you'll make me blush. The stories aren't that good, and they're definitely "PG." I can't hold a candle to Louise or Leslie.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Oh, stop. You're very kind but you'll make me blush. The stories aren't that good, and they're definitely "PG." I can't hold a candle to Louise or Leslie.

Louise and Leslie are both awesome!  I'm going to re-read their fic next..after I revisit your gems.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
OK, I think this is kind of odd. Flattering, but odd.

Apparently people are still reading my stories at fanfiction.net. I got an e-mail notification yesterday that somebody had added "No Hero" to his or her Favorites list.

After all these years. ...

Flattering, but strikes me as a bit odd.  :-\

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Why do you think it's odd?  I'm surprised at how many people are viewing BBM for the first time.  And if they're anything like me, they look for ways to give E&J a happy or otherwise alternative ending.  What better way than reading or writing fan fiction?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I just think it's odd because it's so many years now since the movie came out, and fifteen years this fall since the story was first published.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Yep.  Where did the time go?  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Yep.  Where did the time go?  :)

You can say that twice and mean it.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Wow. After all these years, today I got another review of my story, "Some Sweet Life":

Sweet, original and fabulous. Thank you for the hope!

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand
odd? Jeff, I can't get enough of bbm fanfiction and I am not sure if I ever will! I mean I've only seen BBM in June last year, but still. Just can't shake Jack and Ennis. Also, just read your "Some sweet life" and its sequel and I am amazed how I still manage to find something original having read hundreds of fanfics. Thank you for that  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
odd? Jeff, I can't get enough of bbm fanfiction and I am not sure if I ever will! I mean I've only seen BBM in June last year, but still. Just can't shake Jack and Ennis. Also, just read your "Some sweet life" and its sequel and I am amazed how I still manage to find something original having read hundreds of fanfics. Thank you for that  ::)

Well, thank you very much! That's very sweet of you to say. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.  :)

And, tell you what, I see now that I shouldn't find it odd. I realize now that I should expect that on into the future, people will continue to discover Brokeback Mountain--just as I still continue to discover movie gems that were made sometimes long in the past--and will be just as bowled over by Ennis and Jack as were those of us who saw the film when it was first released.

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand

And, tell you what, I see now that I shouldn't find it odd. I realize now that I should expect that on into the future, people will continue to discover Brokeback Mountain--just as I still continue to discover movie gems that were made sometimes long in the past--and will be just as bowled over by Ennis and Jack as were those of us who saw the film when it was first released.

Exactly. And it is because of talented people like yourself that these new viewers of the movie can find some sort of...I don't know, closure? Something to help soothe that inexplicably devastating effect this story continues to have on us? I wish I could write fanfics like these myself but my problem is, I have a million ideas a minute, but in the end it just doesn't come out right...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Exactly. And it is because of talented people like yourself that these new viewers of the movie can find some sort of...I don't know, closure? Something to help soothe that inexplicably devastating effect this story continues to have on us? I wish I could write fanfics like these myself but my problem is, I have a million ideas a minute, but in the end it just doesn't come out right...

That's what the writing did for me, or something like it, anyway.

Or maybe I just had such a terrible crush on Jake's Jack that I just didn't want to let go!  ;D

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand

Or maybe I just had such a terrible crush on Jake's Jack that I just didn't want to let go!  ;D

Nice one Jeff, you're definitely onto something here.  But for me it was more like- yeah, they're both stunning in their own ways, but they only 'work' together. Something very real about AP's words (correct me if it's not her who said it): "you can't have Ennis without Jack". And also one of many reasons why this particular movie was so special to me- whenever in a love story I had a crush, it was always about one character, here it was completely mind-blowing and ground-breaking to the point of feeling "am I a gay man stuck in a woman's body or what?!"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Something very real about AP's words (correct me if it's not her who said it): "you can't have Ennis without Jack".

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was AP herself who said that.

(However, just as Twilight fans had their Team Edward and Team Jacob, we had our Heathens and our Gyllenhaalics.  ::) )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Today I received two reviews of some of my fanfics:

Story: No Hero
Chapter: 1. Chapter 1

Reply URL: https://www.fanfiction.net/pm2/post.php?rwid=216303877
-------------------

The fluff! The schmoop! The SQUEE! Dude, this was freaking adorable. And insanely well-written lol.

Story: Some Sweet Life
Chapter: 1. Chapter 1

Reply URL: https://www.fanfiction.net/pm2/post.php?rwid=216304210
-------------------

This is the first canon-compliant BBM fic I've been able to read without crying.

I'm not sure I understand "the schmoop" and "the SQUEE," but it's very flattering and makes me feel very proud that someone considers my story "insanely well-written."

And I'm also taking it as a compliment that one of my stories is "canon-compliant" but can be read without making someone cry.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Today I received two reviews of some of my fanfics:

I'm not sure I understand "the schmoop" and "the SQUEE," but it's very flattering and makes me feel very proud that someone considers my story "insanely well-written."

And I'm also taking it as a compliment that one of my stories is "canon-compliant" but can be read without making someone cry.

"Schmoop" (adj. schmoopy) refers to high levels of romantic or sentimental content.

"Squee" is the sound fangirls/fanboys make when they are very pleased. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
"Schmoop" (adj. schmoopy) refers to high levels of romantic or sentimental content.

"Squee" is the sound fangirls/fanboys make when they are very pleased. 

Thanks, Paul.

Oh, good grief. ...  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Oh God.....the squeeeeeee

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!