Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022301 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #500 on: December 24, 2007, 02:14:10 am »

I've had it for Jeffrey Dean Morgan since his time on "Gray's Anatomy". I think he's such a handsome hott HUNK!!! I'm dying to see this movie. I'm meeting my best friend and her daughter halfway next Friday, and I'm going to try to talk them into this one! I'll say dellaluvia recommended it!!!  :P  ;D

Heh, don't forget your box of tissues.  I snuffled throughout the movie and came out looking like a white rat with reddened eyes, nose and a pounding sinus headache.

Enjoy, the men were still a pleasure to watch.

EDITED TO ADD:  Sorry, but as I'm dressing for work, I remembered that one of the songs played during this movie contained a gay slur, so be warned.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 09:35:29 am by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #501 on: December 24, 2007, 09:41:26 am »
My daughter and I went and saw National Treasure II yesterday and Katherine, I'd agree with you. It was fun but the first one was better. I have to say, Justin Bartha (the Riley Poole character) is as cute as a button and I could watch him for days! Since he had lots of screen time, he made the whole thing enjoyable. I did agree with one reviewer who said the long drawn out climax looked like an ad for a new attraction at Disney World. The Goofy cartoon at the beginning was fun, too.

In the evening, we did a "simulcast" with Louise of The Namesake, directed by Mira Nair. My husband really liked it. I thought it was good, but I liked Monsoon Wedding better. I'll wait for Louise to weigh in with her review.

This afternoon, we are going to "simulcast" Gods and Monsters....if anyone wants to join us. (I need to run off to the video store this morning to pick it up.)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #502 on: December 24, 2007, 06:00:10 pm »
How refreshing to hear this description of liberals.  It makes me realize how little they stand up for themselves.  Why???  :(

I think part of being a liberal, almost by definition, is being open to new ideas, which can translate into being open-minded about other people's ideas, which can translate into not standing up for one's own ideas.

Of course, there are lots of exceptions to this. I know (plenty of) liberals who are close-minded about certain things.

I have to say, Justin Bartha (the Riley Poole character) is as cute as a button and I could watch him for days! Since he had lots of screen time, he made the whole thing enjoyable.

I liked him, too, and one thing I found slightly annoying was I thought they did the "Riley is the loser who gets the short end of every stick" schtick.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #503 on: December 24, 2007, 06:15:41 pm »
Two words:  Avoid Hitman

I was under the mistaken impression that it was developed based on a Lawrence Block novel, which is fabulous, but no...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:02 pm »
Hilary Swank needs to eat a burger.  Many of them.

I think I've been eating all of hers.   :-\

I saw "Juno" on Saturday and "Sweeney Todd" on Sunday.  Thought both were good, but not great.

Is it just me, or are the critics more out of whack than ever in the last year or so?  My opinions used to jibe pretty closely with most of theirs - especially the most pretentious ones from the biggest N.Y. and L.A. papers.  But lately most of them are raving about movies like this, I go to see them, and go, "Hunh?"

"Juno" had some lovely moments.  Ellen Page was terrific, but who really stood out to me was Michael Cera as Paulie Bleeker.  He had some non-verbal reactions that were so deliciously subtle - if I squinted hard for a moment, I could have been looking at an extremely young Spencer Tracy.  But some of the dialog was really contrived.  All very witty, but it kept not ringing true to me as stuff these characters would actually say.  God, I hate it when that happens.

And "Sweeney Todd" - well, Johnny Depp was wonderful, though - gasp - a tad over the top towards the end.  But for my money, he's quite a decent little singer.  And Alan Rickman was great as always - he's another one who's so subtle - is there any English actor who isn't?  But there were certain directorial choices (and I love Tim Burton) that left me cold - not exhilarated like I remember being when I first saw it at 20-something many, MANY moons ago.

No more beans!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #505 on: December 24, 2007, 09:38:52 pm »
I liked 'The Namesake' more than 'Monsoon Wedding' , probably because I thought that the father character was very well drawn and understandable.   However, I do agree with the reviewer about the 'whirlwind speed' of the sweeping plot, and it was never more noticeable than when when the Gangullis settle in New York and one minute Ashima is crying and saying she wants to go home to India and the next minute she has two kids.  That part went WAY too fast for me!  But there were some fabulous little amusing lines in it, like when Gogol decides that he wants to keep his first name at school instead of of changing to his 'good name' and his father says 'There is nothing we can do in a country where the president is named Jimmy.'

The plot went too fast but mainly because I wanted to get to know them all better, but I agree also with one of the dissenting reviewers who said the insights into the son's romantic life would be better left out, and seem oddly out of place.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #506 on: December 25, 2007, 12:40:34 am »
I think I've been eating all of hers.   :-\

I saw "Juno" on Saturday and "Sweeney Todd" on Sunday.  Thought both were good, but not great.

Is it just me, or are the critics more out of whack than ever in the last year or so?  My opinions used to jibe pretty closely with most of theirs - especially the most pretentious ones from the biggest N.Y. and L.A. papers.  But lately most of them are raving about movies like this, I go to see them, and go, "Hunh?"

"Juno" had some lovely moments.  Ellen Page was terrific, but who really stood out to me was Michael Cera as Paulie Bleeker.  He had some non-verbal reactions that were so deliciously subtle - if I squinted hard for a moment, I could have been looking at an extremely young Spencer Tracy.  But some of the dialog was really contrived.  All very witty, but it kept not ringing true to me as stuff these characters would actually say.  God, I hate it when that happens.

And "Sweeney Todd" - well, Johnny Depp was wonderful, though - gasp - a tad over the top towards the end.  But for my money, he's quite a decent little singer.  And Alan Rickman was great as always - he's another one who's so subtle - is there any English actor who isn't?  But there were certain directorial choices (and I love Tim Burton) that left me cold - not exhilarated like I remember being when I first saw it at 20-something many, MANY moons ago.

I'm with ya, Barb.  Contrived dialogue, plotline, plot devices and movies are becoming more and more obvious to me.  That's why I seldom tolerate sitcoms or TV dramas any more.  The characters do and say things that no real person would - but you realize they do this so the plot can move forward.

I'm not surprised Johnny Depp has a singing voice, he actually came to L.A. to be in a rock band as I recall.  So he had to feel he had some kind of talent in that direction.  I"m always in awe of most A list Brit actors.  Most of them attend the Academy or whatever they call their Drama school there, and it's pretty prestigious and only the really good ones make it through, so most of the time, they're very impressive talents.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #507 on: December 26, 2007, 10:44:31 am »
Louise and I had our simulcast film festival this weekend and saw The Fountain, The Namesake, Gods and Monsters, and Ed Wood. I liked them all but Gods and Monsters was definitely my favorite. There's a special "Making Of.." feature on the DVD that I would recommend, too.

Sir Ian McKellan was definitely robbed of his Oscar for best actor. So what else is new with the Academy? An openly gay man playing an openly gay movie director? Of course he'd never win, even though he deserved it.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #508 on: December 29, 2007, 12:06:54 am »
Slightly off topic, but I've seen two lists today, one on CNN.com and one on MSN.com which ranked ZODIAC as one of the ten best movies of 2007.  MSN.com ranked it #2 after NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.  It was released so early in the year, it will probably be forgotten by Award season.  Do wish ZODIAC had done better at the box office.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/2007review/top10movies?photoidx=10

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #509 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:26 am »
I just watched "The Fountain" on DVD and enjoyed it very much. Of course, lots of close-ups of Hugh Jackman probably helped! Even so, I enjoyed the story. The music was great, too. Anyone else here see this?

L

I saw it Les.  I thought it was fascinating...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."