Author Topic: the big request for HELP from Russia!  (Read 47574 times)

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
Re: the big request for HELP from Russia!
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 08:35:06 pm »
Oh, I've just remembered another ones.

1) I didn't know we was going to get into this again. No, I guess I did. I red-lined it all the way.

So you sure to red-line here means only that Jack was riding very fast? Tell you what, to red-line means to ride as fast as possible. But to red-line something? (I red-lined it...). You sure I can't translate I red-lined it like I couldn't think about anything but this [getting into this]?

2) I'd like to buy Jimbo a beer here.

Jimbo is clown's name, right?
An unsatisfactory situation with translation into Russian.

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 09:13:54 pm »
Oh, I've just remembered another ones.

1) I didn't know we was going to get into this again. No, I guess I did. I red-lined it all the way.

So you sure to red-line here means only that Jack was riding very fast? Tell you what, to red-line means to ride as fast as possible. But to red-line something? (I red-lined it...). You sure I can't translate I red-lined it like I couldn't think about anything but this [getting into this]?

2) I'd like to buy Jimbo a beer here.

Jimbo is clown's name, right?

Yes, Jimbo is the clown's name. Probably his name is just 'Jim', but 'Jimbo' is a way of - I don't know the right word here - "countrifying" it. Making it sound more rodeo-ish.

You are right in assuming that "red-lining" means to drive fast. Red-lining it just means he had the speedometer (or the tachometer/RPMs in a manual transmission) as high as it would go, in the 'red zone', pushing his truck to its limits in order to get to Ennis as fast as possible. 

This is obviously not exactly what Jack had, but it's close enough to give you an idea since I'm no good at explaining car things. :D

So maybe you could say "I pushed this truck to her limit, couldn't get here fast enough." Or something.
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: great request for HELP from Russian fan!
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 09:22:25 pm »
So my variant of his phrase would be like this:
It was hard enough getting this time. (probably May) So there's nothing to say about August. (Nothing to say about something — in Russian language it means that the something is certainly not going to happen in any case — just want you to feel the sense I put in the phrase)
I suppose it would sound good.

So guys, trade-off was August -- it means here, that Ennis could get August time, BUT ONLY instead of their presumable May, right? Would my quoted translation sound good? Are there any missings of sence?

It was hard to get time off this time [May], so there's nothing to say about August!

P.S. Writing this very post, I have found sence missing. But it's very little, I s'pose, yea?
Instead of saying Ennis could get May time OR August time (but he already HAS got May time as we see), I will say in my translation: as they already HAD had their May meeting, the next one can not be in August. It was in the first place: Ennis had had to choose between May and August.
It seems that he was asking his boss about May and August, but boss said he could only choose between those months. Not to take both times.

... Oh boy, it is so hard for me. Please, if everything above seems to be a piece of unintelligible, incomprehensible, strange, odd, obscure sh*t (I got those word from the dictionary), ask me to rewrite it.
That's a hard verbal exchange and I think you've done a pretty accurate job at representing the feeling behind it. The words may not translate accurately from English - Russian, but the point is that one week is hard enough for Ennis to get. Two weeks will not happen.

I admire your desire to get it all right!

My husband is from Latin America and I'm Spanish-English bilingual. Trying to translate BBM from English to Spanish would be an absolute nightmare!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:21:51 pm by coffeedrinkintexan »

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »
You are right in assuming that "red-lining" means to drive fast. Red-lining it just means he had the speedometer (or the tachometer/RPMs in a manual transmission) as high as it would go, in the 'red zone', pushing his truck to its limits in order to get to Ennis as fast as possible.  
Yup, I understand — thanks!
The person who have written those word-to-word translations I got here, when asked about it, told me: "NO, it doesn't mean "to drive fast". First, because of the word it (to red-line it). In this case it means that it stayed in his mind, he could think of nothing except getting into this again. And second, there's the following phrase which dublicates the first one: "...I red-lined it all the way. I couldn't get here fast enough."

So considering what coffeedrinkintexan has said, Jack, saying I red-lined it, doesn't mean anything special, there's no any reason of adding this word (it). It just means he drove very fast, as fast as possible.

So closing this question up, here's my rephrasing and understanding of what Jack is saying:

"I didn't know we was going to get into this again. No, I guess, [in fact] I did [know]. I drove as fast as possible. And I couldn't wait till I finally come to you; waiting was excruciating; poignant; anguished (from the dictionary) /=waiting was terrible for me/

If everything's right, I'll be just happy!

I admire your desire to get it all right!
Thank you very much! But I always feel I'm too meticulous (hope that's a proper word — or, maybe, captious?); I feel awkward a bit, asking one question two or even three times. That is why I really appreciate your help! You spend your time helping me.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:24 pm »
coffeedrinkintexan:
Trying to translate BBM from English to Spanish would be an absolute nightmore!
So you just imagine translating into Russian! =) And we got here millions of variants of translating. I wrote it above: verb "get" in different situations has 500 ways to be translated.
Now the biggest problem for me is how to translate the next phrases:
I didn't think we're going to get into this again...
Old Brokeback got us good...
This thing grabs hold on us again...
This is a one-shot thing we got goin' here...
I understand 'em pretty good. But now with making them all clear, I think of how to translate it properly, without any missings of sence.
I want russian fans to have an opportunity of discussing BBM as BetterMostians do without necessary of knowing English. 'Cuz having russian dubbing, we'll discuss their dim-witted translations and make-ups, not what have been said in the original. Therefore, there's nothing to discuss in Russian.

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:26 pm »

"I didn't know we was going to get into this again. No, I guess, [in fact] I did [know]. I drove as fast as possible. And I couldn't wait till I finally come to you; waiting was excruciating; poignant; anguished (from the dictionary) /=waiting was terrible for me/
If you have a choice in which word to use at the last of your sentence, I'd use excruciating. That's probably the most accurate description of how Jack must've been feeling.

Thank you very much! But I always feel I'm too meticulous (hope that's a proper word — or, maybe, captious?); I feel awkward a bit, asking one question two or even three times. That is why I really appreciate your help! You spend your time helping me.
It is a pleasure! In college I hung out a lot with international students and one of our favorite things to do together was have 'slang sessions.' We'd get together and they'd ask us what certain phrases meant, or we'd come up with a few phrases to teach them. They'd return the favor and teach us a few slang phrases in their own languages. SO much fun. I love languages. (PS - it's ok to be meticulous. It has a positive meaning!)

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 10:27:54 pm »
coffeedrinkintexan:So you just imagine translating into Russian! =) And we got here millions of variants of translating. I wrote it above: verb "get" in different situations has 500 ways to be translated.
Now the biggest problem for me is how to translate the next phrases:
I didn't think we're going to get into this again...
Old Brokeback got us good...
This thing grabs hold on us again...
This is a one-shot thing we got goin' here...
I understand 'em pretty good. But now with making them all clear, I think of how to translate it properly, without any missings of sence.
I want russian fans to have an opportunity of discussing BBM as BetterMostians do without necessary of knowing English. 'Cuz having russian dubbing, we'll discuss their dim-witted translations and make-ups, not what have been said in the original. Therefore, there's nothing to discuss in Russian.
I can imagine. I wouldn't begin to know how to translate that into Spanish, either. Translators try to make up stuff either because they don't get it themselves, or they try to translate word-for-word which you can't do sometimes, or sometimes the phrases just don't lend themselves to translation. I see it all the time in Spanish/English dubbing so I get it. Grrr.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 09:50:59 pm »
Here's another ones. In fact I just need to be sure of them.

1) You ever rodeo?
What exactly is here? Have you ever tried to rodeo/Did you rodeo/Do you rodeo? (I think the last one is the best. It seems that rodeo was a real way of earning money, kind of a job, I would say. So Jack asks if Ennis earns money by rodeoing/or maybe if he just likes rodeo and money is not the point for him. It doesn't matter, anyway: it's /Present Simple Tense / here, isn't it?)

2) You know, I mean, once in a while.
What'd be better: sometimes or rarely? I'd take rarely.
UPD: rarely isn't proper word expressing what I got here in Russian. The point is, sometimes implies a bit more often then rarely, right?

3) Can't wait till I get my own spread...
Spread = ranch, right?

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 11:34:53 am »
Here's another ones. In fact I just need to be sure of them.

1) You ever rodeo?
What exactly is here? Have you ever tried to rodeo/Did you rodeo/Do you rodeo? (I think the last one is the best. It seems that rodeo was a real way of earning money, kind of a job, I would say. So Jack asks if Ennis earns money by rodeoing/or maybe if he just likes rodeo and money is not the point for him. It doesn't matter, anyway: it's /Present Simple Tense / here, isn't it?)
"Do you rodeo?" is probably closest to meaning. Jack's trying to find some common ground between them - he's already asked Ennis if he's from "ranch people" like himself.

2) You know, I mean, once in a while.
What'd be better: sometimes or rarely? I'd take rarely.
UPD: rarely isn't proper word expressing what I got here in Russian. The point is, sometimes implies a bit more often then rarely, right?
Thing is, it's debatable here whether Ennis really even rodeos at all. You've got the Thanksgiving scene after he and Alma divorce when he talks about all three seconds of riding broncs, and that's the story of his rodeo career. Personally, I think Ennis is trying to impress his new friend and say he rodeos a lot more than he actually has. For a literal translation, I think you're right that the answer is "rarely." But for the impression he's trying to give, "sometimes" might be the right choice....whether it's actually true or not.

3) Can't wait till I get my own spread...
Spread = ranch, right?
Exactly.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 06:30:27 pm »
Personally, I think Ennis is trying to impress his new friend and say he rodeos a lot more than he actually has.
Oh, cofeedrinkintexan, now I understood this one, thanks! Yeah, now I'm pretty sure as well that Ennis do tries to impress Jack. 'Cuz writing that question about "once in a while" I was thinking that Ennis told his girls his career was no more then just three-seconds-long on a bronc. I saw a disparity there. But now if consider that Ennis, maybe, tries to impress Jack and overstates his rodeoing a bit. Of course, 'sometimes' in this case is the best.