Author Topic: the big request for HELP from Russia!  (Read 47580 times)

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
Re: the big request for HELP from Russia!
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »
So, coffeedrinkintexan, I got both a very tricky and important phrase here. Maybe I understand it and maybe I don't.
Here it is:

This is a one-shot thing we got going on here

I want to know your opinion, your view at this. How would you rephrase it? Maybe it's because of awkwardness Ennis says this phrase the way he has said it? Maybe he wants to say that this thing, yes, it did happen, but it was once only (one-shot thing); but Ennis's not sure he Doesn't want to continue it, so he says his further "we got going here"...

Uurgh. Maybe good variant would be this: Everything that is happening to us here is one time only.
But seems o lose sence a bit.

Anyway, my dear texan who likes coffee so much, what's your opinion?
An unsatisfactory situation with translation into Russian.

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:02 pm »
So, coffeedrinkintexan, I got both a very tricky and important phrase here. Maybe I understand it and maybe I don't.
Here it is:

This is a one-shot thing we got going on here

I want to know your opinion, your view at this. How would you rephrase it? Maybe it's because of awkwardness Ennis says this phrase the way he has said it? Maybe he wants to say that this thing, yes, it did happen, but it was once only (one-shot thing); but Ennis's not sure he Doesn't want to continue it, so he says his further "we got going here"...

Uurgh. Maybe good variant would be this: Everything that is happening to us here is one time only.
But seems o lose sence a bit.

Anyway, my dear texan who likes coffee so much, what's your opinion?
Hahaha, you're too kind. My opinion is just my little opinion.

MY view is that Ennis is NOT talking about it only happening one occasion and never again. I think he is saying, "Once we're off this mountain, this relationship will be over/what we're doing will be over." The fact that he phrases it "one-shot thing we got going on"....like it will continue to happen, but only for a specific amount of time.

"Everything happening to us here is one time only" or "just for a while" seems reasonable. Some of the meaning gets lost once it's no longer in Cowboy English, but that's the risk you run with any translation, any language. Well done with your effort!
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:06 am »
Alma when suggesting Ennis to move to Riverton, says that "Girls won't be sonely like you were raised".
I think Ennis told her something about his childhood, so (maybe) there was nobody but his brother and sister to talk to.
That's why she's saying "Ennis, you don't want our girls' childhood to be as lonely as yours, dont't you? " do I understand it correctly?

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:29 am »
Yep, that's exactly what she meant.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
Thanks, dear texan. I'll write down some extra moments; anyway, there will be two more translation "rides ". this is the first one, two to go. Second one will be contained with Lashawn's speech. The third, I don't know. The rest of I'll find to make it be exact and understood. It takes too much time; it's very time to finish it all up.
Here are some phrases:

1) sure enough.
This choice of words, as I think, implies the following: "Oh yeah, considering what I have just seen, no doubt you're going just to drink and talk and nothing more than that.
I ask because the translation would be like this: "We're going to get some walk and drink. - Oh yeah, drink [, of course]"

2) Is he somebody you cowboyed with or what?
Well, it's sure unough we got here the noun cowboy, but not the verb. I think asking about what did cowboys do back in the sixties suggests an unnessasary big answer, so maybe official dubbing sounds good: "Is he somebody you used to work on a ranch, or what?".

UPD: /though I've promised there'll be no more then two translation rides, it looks like I'm cheating a little updating this post :D/
3) You bet. (Answering Jack on a postcard)
What's the most exact meaning here? In russian dubbing this phrase is voiced over like "of course ". But I don't like this translation. May I translate it like "Come /imperative/"? [Yes, Jack, I'm here, you may come, I'll be waiting for you]".
Look, what I mean:
We got here hundreds of forms of verbs in different tenses, conjugations, etc. And there's two verbs that mean "to come ": first means to come by a car/train/cicle, and the first one means to come by walking(just like English' go and ride).
So I'd translate "You bet" using this our first verb in imperative form.

4) My daddy, he was a fine roper, though didn't rodeo mostly.
Who's roper? Why not just a rider? Rodeo implies riders who specialize their rides? I mean, one can choose between calf roping and bull riding? Or what?
Oh, we here in Russia don't know anything about rodeo. Not about clowns, and calf roping, and any extra entertainments (like sheep riding for children). Only thing we know about rodeo is a crazy bull that spin and jump and tries to kill its rider :D so I'm sure enough many russians would confuse rodeo to Spanish corrida.
So, maybe I'll change roper into cowboy? Or, maybe, rider?

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:57 pm »
1) sure enough.
This choice of words, as I think, implies the following: "Oh yeah, considering what I have just seen, no doubt you're going just to drink and talk and nothing more than that.
I ask because the translation would be like this: "We're going to get some walk and drink. - Oh yeah, drink [, of course]"

You are always welcome!! :)

About "Sure enough." Alma really has no clue what she's just seen. When she says "Sure enough," I don't personally think she's being sarcastic here, which would make "oh yeah, of course" sound correct. I think when she answers this way, it's because she really is at a loss for words and that's the first thing out of her mouth. (I'm not sure if this is a common phrase used out West or not, but Ennis says it too when Jack tells him that money's a good point for riding a piece of stock for 8 seconds.) My opinion is that a closer translation would be, "Oh, uh.....okay." That's just my take. Ask a hundred Brokies, get a hundred answers. :D

2) Is he somebody you cowboyed with or what?
Well, it's sure unough we got here the noun cowboy, but not the verb. I think asking about what did cowboys do back in the sixties suggests an unnessasary big answer, so maybe official dubbing sounds good: "Is he somebody you used to work on a ranch, or what?".
I think that's a great way to get the meaning across. You're right that cowboy is not a verb - it's not a verb in proper English either. Your translation seems to be the best way to get across the meaning without it sounding too awkward.

You're doing a great job translating English that is very culture-specific!

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 10:55:06 pm »
Hey, you snuck a couple extra in there while I was typing!!!!  ;)

3) You bet. (Answering Jack on a postcard)
What's the most exact meaning here? In russian dubbing this phrase is voiced over like "of course ". But I don't like this translation. May I translate it like "Come /imperative/"? [Yes, Jack, I'm here, you may come, I'll be waiting for you]".
Look, what I mean:
We got here hundreds of forms of verbs in different tenses, conjugations, etc. And there's two verbs that mean "to come ": first means to come by a car/train/cicle, and the first one means to come by walking(just like English' go and ride).
So I'd translate "You bet" using this our first verb in imperative form.
"You bet" is like a stronger version of "yes", which I'm sure you already know. More like "absolutely" or "oh God, yes", but I agree with you that "of course" doesn't sound good. Not something Ennis would say at all.

That's a tough one. It would certainly get the point across to say "come" as you've described in the imperative form.

4) My daddy, he was a fine roper, though didn't rodeo mostly.
Who's roper? Why not just a rider? Rodeo implies riders who specialize their rides? I mean, one can choose between calf roping and bull riding? Or what?
Oh, we here in Russia don't know anything about rodeo. Not about clowns, and calf roping, and any extra entertainments (like sheep riding for children). Only thing we know about rodeo is a crazy bull that spin and jump and tries to kill its rider Cheesy so I'm sure enough many russians would confuse rodeo to Spanish corrida.
So, maybe I'll change roper into cowboy? Or, maybe, rider?
Yes, Ennis is talking about his dad being a calf roper....it seems calf roping was viewed as kind of a step up from the bull-riding Jack did, like maybe it required more skill, definitely more money. Ennis dad thought "rodeo cowboys was all fuckups." I honestly don't know what to do with that one if there's not a place in the Russian vocabulary for calf roper. I guess "cowboy" sounds ok. Sorry I can't help you more on that one!!

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 07:34:34 am »
Oh thank you very much, texan! Yeah, if Alma doesn't sound sarcastically at all as I supposed (but confused and having difficulties with saying anything), it should change my translation a little. Not even change translation, but intonation I should pronounce it with would be different.
Yeah, sometimes word-to-word translations are good, but you know, I should understand everything actors are talking about, so I could use a proper intonation. Sometimes it makes phrase be completed and understandable more than any translations and efforts of making the phrases to be exact.

So everything you're explaining is very important.

About You bet, well, I'm sure there'll be loads of translation variants, so... I think I'll translate it as I like to. It'd be the only thing I'll take from my mission off: maybe it is not the most exact translation, but I see Ennis here speaking: Yes, Jack, come! So I'll translate as just "Come!".

You used to work on a ranch with him or what? Well, it's not my win here, as I said, it was already there in Russian official dubbing. Sometimes it can give a proper sence.

And I think my translation of the roper phrase would be like this: And my daddy, he was a good cowboy. But he didn't like rodeoing much, he thought all the riders (or, better, everybody who does rodeo) were f*ck-ups. Anyway, the sence is there; everybody who wants to know about rodeo in Russia should use wikipedia at least.

thanks again, texan, you help me a lot.

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 09:03:46 pm »
Hey, again!  :D

I got some translations I need to check.
1) There was one curve in the road in 43 miles, and they miss it.
If there was a car accident where Ennis' parents had died, I'm going to rephrase it this way: "We had a road there in 43 miles with the only curve -- and they [my parents] have crashed there." What d'ya think, does it miss anything? I'd be happy if it doesn't. I've found this translation out just an hour ago and in Russian it sounds very good.

2) Jack: You ever rodeo?
Ennis: Once in a while <...>
Jack: Are you from ranch people?
Ennis: Yeah, I was.

I don't know much about what did people do back in sixties. So would you please explain.
I see two sences here. I feel something like "To rodeo' is opposite to "To be from ranch people", look what I mean: I suppose that there were two (principal??) ways of earning money those years: the first is rodeoing and the second is ranching. Both are pretty good for making livings. So there were people who have chosen rodeo and the other who have chosen ranching. (And, of course, a lot of people who chose nor of what I've listed)
...But the further I write it, the more I doubt: Maybe Jack's second question refers to something different: "Are you from ranch people [as I am, or you're from a city]?
All I need to know is the following:
Do you rodeo? — Sometimes. — [So if you don't rodeo much], then you must be from ranch people, right?
So that part in the square brackets, is it implied or not? Oh with my f*cking poor English everything I've written above seems to sound very odd.
Poor boy who efforts to express his thoughts  ???

3) While you stem the rose.
Oh, my. I just have no clue how to translate it! I mean, in Russian dubbing it sounds like this: "...while you were making love up there". But it seems to be not very exact.
Don't know what is more to say. :-( I'll HAVE to translate it... Somehow. I mean, to transfer this choice of words into Russian. I think I'll ask it on our local BBM forum, or in VK communities.

4)
Quote from: JackFromMoscow on February 07, 2015, 05:33:34 pm
Ennis: I wouldn't mind sleeping out there.
Jack: That ain't the point. The point is, we both ought to be in this camp.
This camp -- he's talking about the legal main camp where Ennis is, is that right? Why, they're not ought to be there both, one of them should be up there with the sheep, right? And I still can't figure out, why Aguirre makes Jack sleep with the sheep illegally. I mean, why is it illegal? Had Aguirre had to pay more for extra tents, or something? I repeat once more, it's pretty logical to send a herder up there to watch the sheep not to be eaten by coyotes.
Front-Ranger: The forest service owns the land and they want to keep it as wild as possible. Having little tents all over the place despoils the land so they just allowed tents on allotments.
Those explanations have helped me a lot to understand what's going on there with all this illegal theme. Thanks to Front-Ranger! But there's something I can't understand. It is Jack's phrase:
That ain't the point. The point is, we both ought to be in this camp.
He talks about the legal camp where Ennis spends his time, right? And there's illegal tent up there, I know that it is. I don't understand is this phrases exchange:
-- I'm tired of this four-hours-a-day commuting.
-- We may switch, if you want to.
-- It's not the point. The point is, we both ought to be in this [main] camp.

But why, what does he mean? Yes, they ought to stay there with forestry rules, but not Aguirre's orders!

OH. MY. GOD.
SHIT! I understood it finally when typing!
Jack: Well, yes, it makes me tired riding here and back again, but that is not the point. The point [I'm really irritated with] is that [IN FACT] we BOTH should /YES, YES!/ be HERE in THIS [legal!] camp [because all this Aguirre's shit makes us to break forestry rules, which we considered the RIGHT ones and these forestry rules are what we want to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

This bolded part in those square brackets... Oh Jesus, it came so hard. It's like a large stone that has fallen from my soul. Because there was a month while I coundn't understand that Jack in this very phrase... Talks.. About.. He.. Wants.. To follow.. the FORESTRY rules.. Not Aguirre's.

I'll enjoy rephrasing it once more: "The point is I'm irritated I have to break the proper/real/adecvate forestry's rules." "The point is, f*ck Aguirre!!!"
So happy now  :D :D :D

5) That fire and brimstone crowd?
Why do you think Ennis answers like this?

Offline JackFromMoscow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My VK profile.
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »
There's not much I'll ask later. My text is going to be completed soon.