Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 367700 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #590 on: July 28, 2009, 02:19:28 pm »
That's cool that you have a job interview so soon!!  Awesome!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #591 on: July 28, 2009, 03:04:32 pm »
That's cool that you have a job interview so soon!!  Awesome!

Thanks all.  I'm trying not to get nervous.  They have testing and I haven't been through that in over 10 years.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2009, 04:37:30 pm »
Fun, fun....   ::)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #593 on: July 30, 2009, 05:04:58 pm »
Fun, fun....   ::)

Good news and bad.  The interview part went very well.  It always does.  My sister can't understand it, but apparently I come across in interviews as very professional, very intelligent and very charming.  ;D

The reason the HR person was so keen on me is that out of the 4 test phases, I did well-to-excellent in 3 of them.  I crashed and burned on testing in Word.  But that was the HR person's fault.  Her e-mail to me said the testing would include Word 2003 and Excel 2003.

No problemo.  I used both at work and had Word 2003 at home.

Get to the testing center and bingo!!!  Everything is from Office 2007.  Word 2007 doesn't look anything like Word 2003.

I mentioned that to the HR person later and she was chagrined.  She informed me that they just switched over to 2007 two weeks ago and she keeps forgetting to make that change when she talks to applicants.  ::)

But she liked me so much - apparently - that she asked that I find a 2007 Word tutorial and come back within a week and retake just that part of the test.

I'm going to do just that, but I am less enthusiastic now.  We spoke of salary - since the job openings said the salary was negotiable.  But what they actually mean is that they're negotiable inside their company salary ranges.

I had my salary requirements and was willing to take a big cut.  However the jobs that HR thinks I qualify for top out salary-wise even lower than my willingness to cut.

Not sure I want to try hard for a job whose maximum salary is less than the lowest salary I'm willing to accept.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #594 on: July 30, 2009, 05:41:22 pm »
Well it doesn't hurt to update your skills to the new Microsoft Office.  And it would be good for your self confidence to be offered the job and have the option of taking it or turning it down ... so I'd say go for it anyway ... then you can decide if and when they offer you the job.

Good luck!

Susie  :)

Thanks Susie.  You're right.  Plus the HR person said since they're a state office, it's a long process for them to make a decision on a hire and that I'd probably have to come in for more interviews, etc.  So I'll go ahead and make myself eligible and possibly in a few months, if nothing else comes up, I might be desperate enough to not want to move to take any offer that might come my way.  What the state lacks in salary might be made up in benefits. 

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #595 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:00 pm »

What is it with some people these days that they are so inconsiderate?  >:(

A friend is buying a used car from this family in a nice part of town. 

She went and looked at the car, liked it, test drove it, the price was right and she was ready to buy on the spot.  The guy though, hemmed and hawed and said, he didn't have the title on him, he'd have to go to his office the next day and get it.  So she signed a promissory note, and put some money down.

My friend called me to see if I would drive her up there (about 20 miles away) the next day to get the car.  I said sure.  So all day, we wait for this guy to call to say he has the title so we can go.  As it gets later and later, we decide we're now waiting for the guy to call to tell us why he still doesn't have the title. 

My friend finally calls the guy, leaves a message.  We wait another few hours and he calls back to say he lost the keys to his office - WTF?  >:( - and he'll have to get the title when he's at the office Monday.  So my friend tells the guy she can be there after work Monday around 7 pm.  He agrees.

So here it is, nearly 6:30 pm.  I'm waiting for my friend and she calls me, furious.  The guy called and left her a message saying,

"Oh, I'm heading for football practice, call me when you get this message."

Um did he forget they made plans to meet to buy the car and turn over title?  In about a half-hour?  So she's now called him back and had to leave another message.  She was pissed and giving him the benefit of the doubt told him she was on her way to his house and she hoped he left the title with his wife to finalize the sale.

We're waiting on a response.  >:( >:(

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #596 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:59 pm »
When it rains it pours. 

Unemployed, no job, living off unemployment and my damn TV breaks.

I checked briefly, but does NO ONE sell just a regular TV anymore??!?!  >:(

I see flat screens, HD/plasmas and TV/DVD combos and that's it.

I don't want a combo, I just want a regular digital TV!!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #597 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »
When it rains it pours. 

Unemployed, no job, living off unemployment and my damn TV breaks.

I checked briefly, but does NO ONE sell just a regular TV anymore??!?!  >:(

I see flat screens, HD/plasmas and TV/DVD combos and that's it.

I don't want a combo, I just want a regular digital TV!!!

Poor del!  :-\

Try the thrift shops and Salvation Army.  I was in there today and saw bunches of them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #598 on: October 17, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »
Soooooo unbelievably frustrating.

Is it just me?  Am I following instructions too closely?

I am still looking for a job and I see these positions and I look at the list of qualifications and I meet 99% of all of their requirements except for the specialization part.

NONE of the companies/organizations I'm applying for are willing to train!

And the shit that is specialized doesn't appear to me to be brain surgery.  I mean, how hard can it be to pick up?

Should I just ignore that part and apply anyway seeing as I'm probably way overqualified for what I'm applying for in the first place or am I just wasting both of our times?  

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #599 on: October 17, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »
Del, I have had the exact same experience, and I have been looking for a year. I've applied for many jobs I know I could do well, jobs I feel way overqualified for, and not even gotten calls.

My theory is that there are so many people out of work that companies get picky and hire people who have experience in that exact narrow specialty. Not that those candidates are necessarily the most qualified, but that they at least have some demonstrated ability to do that specific thing, so they seem like a safer bet.

I felt a little better when I interviewed a woman the other day for an article I was working on. She's been out of work for almost a year. She's in product development. Prior to this, she was always in fast-track, six-figure jobs, traveling around the world, soaring up through the ranks, etc. She has had to switch jobs a few times before when she moved or her company went out of business, but never had any trouble finding new ones, even if in somewhat different industries. Recruiters calling, companies flying her around the country.

This time she has sent out, she figures, 250 resumes and had like six or seven interviews. She has even applied at retail shops at the mall for $8 an hour and not gotten called.

I interviewed another woman, an economist, who told me that for every job opening there are currently 6.3 people out of work.