Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 371586 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #620 on: December 18, 2009, 10:42:19 pm »
My mother saw how upset I was and tried to offer an alternative,

"Well, we have bed pans, you can use that and then empty it out...."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the 21st century!!!!!  Is a working toilet too fucking much to ask?!?!?

Aw, c'mon, Del, where's your pioneer spirit? Nothing wrong with using a chamber pot. At least you won't have to go out the back door and down to the end of the backyard and into a dark, smelly little building that's inevitably full of creepy, crawly spiders. ...

And when this is all over, you're going to know all about how to fix a toilet!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #621 on: December 19, 2009, 01:03:51 am »
Aw, c'mon, Del, where's your pioneer spirit? Nothing wrong with using a chamber pot. At least you won't have to go out the back door and down to the end of the backyard and into a dark, smelly little building that's inevitably full of creepy, crawly spiders. ...

People in the old days sure were tough ...  :P :-X

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #622 on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:52 am »

And when this is all over, you're going to know all about how to fix a toilet!  :D

If I didn't have to empty out my own chamberpot, maybe I might feel more excited about it.  >:(

As it is, I'm already cleaning out my mother's used and stinky diapers.  When she sees me grimacing as I pick them up, she said, "Honey, why don't you wear plastic gloves?  There are some right over there."

I looked at her and said, "I'd rather you be more neat and not throw them on the floor, than me have to use gloves to pick them up."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #623 on: December 19, 2009, 01:38:32 am »
Jeez, Del. I am so sorry. That completely bites and is exactly why I've vowed to never own a home again.  It is ALWAYS something and it will ALWAYS cost major $$$. :/

It is, and on top of that, my mother has neglected having someone fix the roof ("Let's wait for spring."  She said this a year ago.).  The house is seriously going downhill.  Paint is peeling off the window boards, The awning over the back door is rotting, the boarding around the pier and beam foundations are warped and the nails are pulling out of them.  I don't know much about houses, but it looks as if the wood is drying out and separating in many places.  What do you do about that sort of thing?  Do you have to rebuild or what?

I'm about to call Habitat for Humanity and see if they will fix a roof.

Which is why I bought a condo. I have better things to do with my time than clean out gutters and mow lawns. And now, with a big snowstorm predicted, all I have to do is sit and watch it snow (if and when it snows) while someone else shovels the sidewalks.  :)

I had always wanted a nice little house with a garden, but now I'm thinking condo is the way to go - I might be satisfied with a small patio with my condo.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #624 on: December 19, 2009, 02:32:55 am »
I had always wanted a nice little house with a garden, but now I'm thinking condo is the way to go - I might be satisfied with a small patio with my condo.

For a single person--like myself--I highly recommend it. As for gardens and gardening, I've seen some very nice container gardens on condo patios.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #625 on: January 06, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »
Finally all moved in.

I HOPE AT&T BURNS IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #626 on: January 14, 2010, 09:34:57 am »
A small matter, perhaps, but I have decided that I hate the word bromance.

It's homophobic. It belittles the affection two guys may feel for one another out of fear that affection is gay.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #627 on: January 14, 2010, 11:23:20 am »
A small matter, perhaps, but I have decided that I hate the word bromance.

It's homophobic. It belittles the affection two guys may feel for one another out of fear that affection is gay.

That's interesting. I've never perceived it at all as a belittling term, more a kind of celebratory or even affectionate term for male friendship -- particularly in movies, of course, where male friendship is one of the most popular and enduring themes.

It's flippant, of course, like "chick flick." That's a term I find offensive -- not so much the words themselves, but what they signify: a movie so trivial or silly (often merely because its main characters are women) that no male moviegoer would be interested.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #628 on: January 14, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
That's interesting. I've never perceived it at all as a belittling term, more a kind of celebratory or even affectionate term for male friendship -- particularly in movies, of course, where male friendship is one of the most popular and enduring themes.

It's flippant, of course, like "chick flick." That's a term I find offensive -- not so much the words themselves, but what they signify: a movie so trivial or silly (often merely because its main characters are women) that no male moviegoer would be interested.

That's interesting, too. I never thought of "chick flick" as indicating that the movie was trivial or silly, just that its plot dealt with themes or subjects of more interest to women than to men--like relationship stuff, as opposed to car chases and explosions.

I guess either way it stereotypes both the film and the audience.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:08 am »

No kidding, and after the advent of photography, it was easy to see how fast people aged compared with today.

I spent 7 years working at a Living History museum; that's one of those reconstructed communities where people re-enact everyday life from earlier historical periods.  (Williamsburg is the granddaddy of them all)   In our case it was 1855, an interesting period in the US Midwest, as people were in transition between rural self-sufficiency and widespread use of manufactured goods.  People used to ask me if I'd like to live in that era and I'd tell them no, I'd love to visit.  Every historical era has its plusses and minuses but the "good old days" were rarely as good as we might like to think they were.